Mugglenet Fan Fiction Submission Rules
************ SUBMISSION RULES AND GUIDELINES ************
You want to submit a fan fic - that's great! BUT (there are always buts) because
we don't post every fic we receive, it is imperative that you read the short
list of rules below before actually submitting. Fics are only posted after they
are manually approved by a moderator.
We would strongly recommend reading our help section for fan fiction writing tips before submitting your story.
- [Age and authorship] - You must be at least 13 years of
age and be submitting an original work - not someone else's unless you have
- [Spelling and grammar] ...must be to an acceptable standard! We will not reject your fic for a few small mistakes, but fics with repeated mistakes and fics with many small errors will be rejected. We strongly recommend that you have someone proofread (beta) your fic before you submit it. Many qualified betas may be contacted through our Beta Boards.
- [Length] - Each fic must contain a minimum of 800 words, but be advised that we accept very few fics in the 800-1000 word range because we believe that, in most cases, it takes longer than that to really develop a good story. Chapter also must be at least 800 words. Prologues and epilogues that are clearly marked as such must be at least 500 words. Poetry is exempt from length rules.
- [Canon] - All stories must be canon compliant. Canon is made up of the information that we glean from the books, JKR's own website, and interviews with her. The movies are not considered canon, and fictions based on the movies will not be accepted into our archive.
- [Originality] - Don't plagiarize (steal/copy) someone else's work! Any time you use someone else's words, including JKR's, it must be cited!
- [Queue Limits]- You may submit only one chapter of a given story at a time. (Wait for this chapter to be validated before submitting the next chapter.) You may submit up to two chapters (of two separate stories) at a time, but only if these submissions are in different categories.
- [Warnings] - If warnings are necessary, please add them to your fiction to avoid offending unwary readers. A complete list, with explanations, is available here *link to Warnings Page*.
- [Categories]- A fic may be submitted to ONLY one category. Most fics could fit into more than one category, but as the author, you have to choose the most appropriate primary category for your fic.
- MNFF does not accept any of the following:
-Sexually-explicit or extremely graphic fictions
-Stories that do not have a clear plot or point to them
-Stories that misuse sensitive topics, such as rape-glorification stories. If you're unsure about a sensitive topic, such as rape or mental disorders, please go to the Beta Boards for help/guidance from a moderator and/or a beta reader.
-Out of Character that is not explained in the story
-Stories with that defy canon and do not have the appropriate AU warning
-Crossovers. Crossovers and parodies are two different types of stories.
-Stories with no summaries or have summaries that run along the lines of 'I suck at writing summaries, just read and find out!'
-Stories that use real living people as characters. Most commonly these are JK Rowling insertions. We do NOT archive them.
- Do not add 'I will only update this story for x amount of reviews', as we will delete that from your story.
Please DO NOT put any images in your story or the description.
Please save a copy of your chapter in Microsoft Word or another word processing program. If a moderator rejects your chapter, they can and will DELETE it, so to avoid having to completely rewrite it, we strongly recommend you save a copy on your computer.
Good luck, and thanks for reading!