Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor Characters

Acroma
    Quote Originally Posted by solemnlyswear_x
    What house do you think Moaning Myrtle would have been in?
    Ravenclaw or Slytherin.
    Ravenclaw for the reasons everyone else stated: Because she figured out the egg clue, and thought Cedric was an idiot for not doing so himself. However, I'm sure that other houses could figure something like that out, so this may not have helped much. There's a bit of a chance that she was a Slytherin for these Slytheriny lines...
    "Anyway, what really got me was that it was a boy speaking. So I unlocked the door, to tell hime to use his own toilet, and then-"
    "And then I came back agian, I was determained to haunt Olive Hornby, you see."
    Another factor that points to Slytherin: She was a muggleborn. Everyone made fun of her. These may be unrelated, and possibly everyone made fun of her for her glasses and the fact that she's a crybaby, but still. The most well known Slytherins are pureblood activists. Olive Hornby could be a Slytherin, too.

MagicalMaddie331

Myrtle's House and Demelza Robins

Acroma, although you make a good point to put Myrtle in Slytherin, you do not have to be mean to be in that particular house. Horace Slughorn does not seem like a nasty person, and yet he was actually Head of Slytherin House. Zacharias Smith, on the other hand, was in Hufflepuff, and he didn't seem very friendly at all. When placing anyone in one of the four Houses, you have to look past those parts of their personality and focus on the qualities they must have to be in a particular House, such as bravery for Gryffindor or cunningness for Slytherin. Myrtle could even be in Gryffindor. She does not have to be excluded from that house just because she was afraid of death and became a ghost. Nearly Headless Nick is a ghost, and he is the Gryffindor ghost!! I'd put Myrtle in any House besides Slytherin, which should be exluded because of Myrtle's heritage.

On another note, I'm writing a fanfiction from Demelza Robins's point of view. I'm having trouble giving her some character, however. The way she cried when Ron upset her during Quiddtich practice gave me the impression of her being very sensitive and even a little shy. Does anyone else see her as that? Also, what do you think she looks like? I originally pictured her with dark brown hair, but I came to use Blake Lively from the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants to base her looks on. Blake Lively has long blonde hair. What do you think her age is? She could be in Ginny's year, but does a year younger than Ginny make more sense? Is Demelza Robins possibly a person that has chemistry with Seamus Finnigan?

Acroma
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicalMaddie331
    Acroma, although you make a good point to put Myrtle in Slytherin, you do not have to be mean to be in that particular house.
    True. But if you think about it, the second line basically fits. As far as I can tell, ghosts are stuck in the mortal realm for the rest of eternity. So, if you'd doom yourself to be stuck on Earth for all time just to get revenge, you're pretty ambituos. Like a Slytherin.

MagicalMaddie331
    Good point. This makes it even harder to find the right house for Myrtle!! I guess it all comes down to which qualities are most profound. Like how Hermione was smart, but her courage was somehow greater and that's what put her in Gryffindor.

Kate B

Myrtle: An Answer, and Andromeda: A Question.

I think Myrtle fits well into either Slytherin or Ravenclaw, because she has demonstrated both intelligence (the egg riddle) and a thirst for revenge (haunting Olive Hornby), as others before me have pointed out. We have learned, though, through Dumbledore, that we choose our own direction, so think of it as: Which house would Myrtle have been more attracted to? Did she know anything about the reputation of Slytherin house before her Sorting (from other students or a book like Hogwarts: A History)? In the end, however, it comes down to your choice as to which house you place her in. I hope that's helpful!

But I have a question of my own! I can't find any information anywhere on what Andromeda Tonks looks like. Fan art varies, too. And it's hard to make her just look like a slightly different version of her daughter (as we see with some parent-child pairs like Lucius and Draco, James and Harry, etc.), because Tonks is a Metamorphmagus! So, does anyone have any thought on what Andromeda would look like? Any thoughts at all would be great, thanks!

Sly Severus
    So, does anyone have any thought on what Andromeda would look like? Any thoughts at all would be great, thanks!
    We don't really know what Andromeda looks like, but most people seem to have some opinion in that area. I have written her a few times, and I always think of her as looking a bit like Narcissa. I've always pictured her as blonde and petite. But I have also gotten a few reviews asking me about her hair color. I've had people telling me that her hair was probably red or brown. To me she'll always be blonde. Anyway, that's how I see her, but like I said, other people have different opinions.

So I have my own question. Does anyone know how long Aberforth Dumbledore has been working at the Hogs Head? I looked on lexicon, but I couldn't find it there.

ronnyc718
    For Andromeda, I think you're right at not looking at Tonks for the answer. I would look to her sisters, Narcissa and Bellatrix. This part could get tricky, since they do look a lot different.

According to Wikipedia:

Narcissa is a tall and slim blue-eyed blonde with, at least when Harry Potter first meets her, "a look that suggested there was a nasty smell under her nose." She has the habit of wrinkling her nose to appear disgusted around those of non-pure-blood ancestry and her snobbishness mars her beauty. Despite their difference in colouring, Narcissa resembles her sister Bellatrix.
    Bellatrix Black was born in 1951 to Cygnus and Druella (Rosier) Black. She is described as a tall woman with sleek black hair, a thin mouth, heavily lidded eyes, pale skin, and the Black family's patrician good looks and bearing.
    From this, I would suppose that Andromeda is tall and thin with a regal bearing. She's probably pale. I would say she has dark hair and eyes, because Narcissa seems to be the exception in the Black family looks. Note that this is an assumption, but I'm looking at Sirius when I say that (and the fact that the family name is "Black").

Even though Andromeda eventually went against her family, she was raised in their way of thinking. She would have had a proud manner at one time, most notably in the way she carries herself. I don't think marrying Ted would totally undo all of that raising, so she would still have excellent posture.

Hope this helps!

Edit: This is purely speculation, but I've always imagined her as taller than her husband.

5 points to Hufflepuff

nysuperstarz
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Severus
    So I have my own question. Does anyone know how long Aberforth Dumbledore has been working at the Hogs Head? I looked on lexicon, but I couldn't find it there.
    Im not exactly sure about this but I think It would probably more than 20 years, hence the fact that Mundungus was banned from there twenty years ago, and we know it was the same barman back then because he says, " ...that barmans got a long memory" therefore indicating that it was the same barman. Another thing to consider is when Voldermort comes back to Hogwarts asking for a job, Dumbledore says somthing about the fact that there are death eaters stayingat the Hogs Head. The he says, "Im merely friendly with the local barman" Which most likley indicates that Aberforth was still the barman backthen also. I think you would be safe with, say around 40 years, probably more because thats around the timespan Voldie was asking for the job.

EDIT: 5 points to Slytherin

miss padfoot
    Thoughts on how Mrs. Black (Sirius' mother) looks like? The books don't really say anything about her appearance, except that she wears a black cap and her skin was yellowing, but how would she have looked when like Sirius was a baby or something?

I was thinking she was a bit plump and had dark hair... but could do with a bit of help. Thanks!

crazy_purple_hp_freak
    Quote Originally Posted by miss padfoot
    Thoughts on how Mrs. Black (Sirius' mother) looks like? The books don't really say anything about her appearance, except that she wears a black cap and her skin was yellowing, but how would she have looked when like Sirius was a baby or something?

I was thinking she was a bit plump and had dark hair... but could do with a bit of help. Thanks!
    We really don't know a lot about Walburga Black; the only description we have, as you have already stated is that one extract from OOTP...which is on the Lexicon

Yellowing skin, I'd say, would probably be due to old age, not actual appearance. However there are a few things we might be able to deduce from looking at her relations.
    Though we don't know a lot about Sirius' father, we know that Sirius himself used (pre-Azkaban) to possess quite good looks. We also know that Sirius' cousins Bella and Narcissa are both attractive, in their own way. As the Black family is relatively tightly related, I'm guessing that they must all inherit the looks from somewhere, so Sirius' mother was probably moderately attractive in her youth.

Not sure about plump, but like you I'd picture her with dark hair. In the OOTP scene, we see her as clearly being quite assertive, bold, angry...this to me, compares her with Bellatrix; as opposed to Narcissa whose character is slightly 'colder' and she only fires up if severely provoked.
    The image of Sirius' mother I have is a strict no-nonsense woman with dark hair...not 'plump' or 'fat' but not 'thin' either, rather just robustly formed, strong looking. Average height maybe? And definitely with pursed lips, strict looking, never smiling...perhaps, like Narcissa she would have looked nice if she didn't have a frown on her face all the time?

Hope some of this helps

5 points to Slytherin