Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor Characters

Pure
    Quote Originally Posted by SomberBallad
    So this means she probably isn't really skinny and is probably a little more muscular or at least is probably pretty strong.
    I agree that she's probably strong, but I think that there is absolutely no problem for her to be skinny, look at Ginny for example. She plays quidditch and she's still skinny.

Back to the main topic. I picture Katie as a not very tall girl, with brown hair, which is neither curly, not straight. Oh, and brown eyes. You can play around with her appearance, but I think that most people have this image of Katie in their heads

paddlerpen
    Thanks so much for all the help everyone. I had always envisioned Katie as having very dark brown hair almost black. I also though of her as one of the very athletic girls. Thanks again everyone!

TheEvilBroomstick
    I know your question has already been well answered, but I thought I should add my opinions too .

I had always imagined Katie with blonde hair. I have no clue why, but maybe it's her name. Blonde hair seems to suit a Katie.

I also think that Katie would have a very small build, which makes her good for Quidditch. I picture her not to be very tall, but not short either. Somewhere around 5'5", 5'6" maybe. I thought her to be of average weight, not overly skinny, that way she would be able to move faster on a broom which is a great advantage for a Chaser. I agree that she would be pretty strong and might even have a little abs showing.

TheLoyalOne
    As to Myrtle's House, she always struck me as a Ravenclaw. She's clever and didn't really seem to have a lot friends. I always picture the typical 'Claw as being a semi-loner. I don't think Hufflepuff works because she doesn't seem too concerned about others, while most Hufflepuffs are.

As to Katie's appearance, I've always pictured her with dirty blond hair and dark brown eyes. She's also in good shape but is a little on the slender side. But, since appearance isn't specified, feel free to make her look however you want, just keep the Quidditch bit in mind.

Ithinkrabis2people

Sorry if this has already been asked ...

What's the age order of the three Black sisters? I've always assumed it was Bella, Narcissa, Andromeda with only a year or so between the last two and a bigger gap between the first. I'm not quite sure how I ended up here ... If anybody could clarify it for me, I'd be most grateful!

Periwinkle
    This is when they were born:

Bellatrix -- 1951
    Andromeda -- 1953
    Narcissa -- 1955

There would be a rough two-year gap between each of them. Hope that helped you out; good luck!

Ithinkrabis2people
    Thank-you! It wasn't really a big thing, just one of those little details!

little_kitty
    I've got a new question for you all, and I'd appreciate some opinions. What do you think of Snape's mother? I mean, what kind of person do you think she was? How much do you think she loved her son? How did she treat him when he was a child? We know that his father was probably abusive, but did his mother act the same way? Do you reckon that she is someone Snape loved?

Thanks for anyone who can help.

--Little Kitty

mecredi
    Quote Originally Posted by little_kitty
    I've got a new question for you all, and I'd appreciate some opinions. What do you think of Snape's mother? I mean, what kind of person do you think she was? How much do you think she loved her son? How did she treat him when he was a child? We know that his father was probably abusive, but did his mother act the same way? Do you reckon that she is someone Snape loved?

--Little Kitty
    I think that while he certainly loved his mother as a child, once he was older, he probably decided "not to love anyone" as a self-defense thing. If he never cared about anyone, he could never be hurt. I also think that he probably viewed her marrying an abusive man as weak. On some level he must have despised her for being to weak to save herself and her son. So, I think he felt betrayed by her actions. In some ways that is a weakness of his own, but also a strength. A weakness because Dumbledore postulates that love will be very important in the end. A strength because he can detach himself, and do what needs to be done via Occlumency or killing a friend.

As for his mother, I believe that she was a strong person who made a bad decision in husband. Maybe to spite her pure-blood family, she married him. Either way, I think her decision caught up to her and resulted in guilt and a eventual degredation of her heart. She became to weak to even protect her son. She may have partially blamed her son for all her problems and for that reason acted so shrilly with him. I think this would have affected Snape by heightening the sense of betrayal, and seriously wounding him.

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by little_kitty

--Little Kitty
    . . .

Wow.

EDIT: Wow for this post! 10 points to Slytherin.

I love this question. I hope you're equipped for my answer!

I think that Eileen Prince was a Ravenclaw, like her grandfather Everard, who was Headmaster of Hogwarts.

Now, granted, the bit about her being Ravenclaw AND being the descendant of Everard is pure theory, but let me explain.

Everard is the only one of the Headmasters whose surname we don't know. We only ever interact with six of them (Armando Dippet, Phineas Nigellus Black, someone named "Fortescue", which we already know to be a surname, although it is of note that we don't know this one's forename, Dilys Derwent, Everard who is surname-less, and Dumbledore). Everard is described as having "sallow skin and black fringe" - in other words, sallow skin and black hair. Viktor Krum is described the same, but it's a good bet that he isn't related to Snape in any way.

However, Broderick Bode is described as having sallow skin and a mournful expression, Eileen in a "yellowing black and white newsprint" is described as pale and sullen, and I think they were cousins, and I think that Broderick was a Ravenclaw as well. Part of this has to do with the general idea that Unspeakables are generally thought, at least on MNFF, to have to have had very high grades.

Basically, my only canonical basis for these thoughts is this:
    1. there's really not a good reason for us to not know Everard's last name, unless there is, in fact, a REALLY GOOD REASON
    2. the physical descriptions basically match
    3. Jo's said that the Ravenclaws will get their time in the limelight in book 7, but she's got SO MUCH OTHER STUFF to deal with that I don't think she'll be able to bring in either a new Ravenclaw character, or even make an existing one into a relatively main character without making the book ridiculously large
    4. it would be JUST LIKE JO to do this.

I have a whole long drawn out theory that Eileen Prince Snape was murdered for being a blood-traitor by the earliest Death Eaters (that part is straight out of RedHen, which you should read immediatley at your earliest available opportunity), when Severus was a young child (six or younger) and that Severus either was a witness to it or was close enough to it to have heard the Death Eaters talking. Tobias couldn't defend Severus magically if he tried, and that Severus basically threw himself into the Dark Arts so that he could *become* a Death Eater with the entire purpose of bringing them down from the inside. Severus Snape as a student appears to be a working class lad - how unbelievably difficult it had to be to be in SLYTHERIN HOUSE, the house of the rich aristocratic purebloods, as a poor, half-blood.

He *arrived* at Hogwarts, a snot-nosed 11 year-old working class kid, knowing more about the Dark Arts than some of the students who were not only of age but about to graduate from seven formal years of magical schooling. How did he get that way, and why?

I think he had access to his great-grandfather's library, which, as headmaster of Hogwarts, would be (presumably) rather extensive. CERTAINLY far more extensive than Tobias and Eileen would otherwise have had the opportunity to build on their own.

And I think he was desparate to know how to defend himself, and his father, from an attack he had every reason to believe was coming back.

As far as Tobias goes, I have seen people argue that we see one scene, out of context. I have also seen it argued that he wasn't actually abusive, but simply shouting, loud enough and possibly unexpectedly enough to scare everyone else in the household, but that isn't, necessarily, indicative of abuse. He could just have been REALLY FRIGHTENED by something and chose a poor way to display his reaction.

I can easily believe this is Severus' first sign of magic and that Tobias was, like Seamus Finnegan's father, up until that point unaware that his wife was a witch, and/or that Tobias found out that there is a terrorist organisation bent on killing Muggles, and realising he's a target.

That'd make anyone freak out.