Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor Characters

HPLoverForever
    Okay, so I'm backtracking over to Peri's origional question. Sorry!

I disagree with basically everyone (teehee, I'm an outcast!). I honestly don't think we know enough about Rodolphus to judge him. I mean honestly, the guy's never said a word in the entire series. We can't judge him when he's only been mentioned in 'massive breakouts' from Azkaban. Sure, Bellatrix is rough and evil, but who knows? Rodolphus might be worse.

Just my opinion on the topic.

Actually, why do you all think that Rodolphus was quiet?

~*HPLF

Insecurity
    I agree that Belltrix is the stronger of the two. Every piece of canon knowledge thus far suggests that she is a strong, cunning, evil woman who is likely not to be intimidated by anyone, such as her husband, except perhaps Voldemort. That isn't to say that Rodolphus isn't just as strong a character, but I think that he may be overshadowed by his wife to a large degree. He won't be pleasant bloke who'd ehlp old ladies across the road, but I doubt he's one of Voldemort's most loyal, devout followers who is competiting highly to gain his favour. He's likely to accept that his wife will gain higher influence and it is futile trying to stop her. But, that is just my opinion.

Blossomlily
    Who do we know (besides Snape and Peter) that were informants and spies? Was there a network of people, and if so, who were they?
    You mean, for the Order? Well, since every Order member couldn't possibly be an Auror, I think it's safe to assume that the others (those in the photograph Moody showed Harry, for instance) could play the triple role of Ministry worker, spy for the Order and a useful resource during the battle.

Also, what are other canon characters besides Snape that would probably be in the same year as the Maurauders or would be two years older or younger than them? The dates on many of the characters births aren't given, but do you have any logic that leads you to believe they are a certain age?
    Bertha Jorkins, for one. Sirius said she was at school with him in GoF; two years above the Marauders, I believe.

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by MorganRay
    Also, what are other canon characters besides Snape that would probably be in the same year as the Maurauders or would be two years older or younger than them? The dates on many of the characters births aren't given, but do you have any logic that leads you to believe they are a certain age?
    Avery the younger, probably one of the Lestrange brothers, (Lexicon has Rodolphus, but unless he's younger than Bellatrix, or Bellatrix either started school late, which I don't find likely, or was held back several years, which I find LESS likely, Bella wasn't at school with Snape), certainly Regulus Black was a year or two behind Snape, Barty Crouch Junior was about three years behind Snape, quite possibly Ludo Bagman, since he was playing professional Quidditch and was at the "height of his career" during Karkaroff's trial. He's got a brother named Otto that we basically know nothing about. Lucius Malfoy was likely a 6th or 7th year around the time Snape started school, Narcissa's two years younger than Lucius, Andromeda is Lucius' age. That puts Ted Tonks around Lucius' age as well.

Probalby the Longbottoms were a couple of years older (Frank and Alice were celebrated Aurors by the time they were tortured in early November 1981, and the training program is 3 years long, and it's *fairly* safe to say that Alice probably wasn't pregnant during *training*).

Evan Rosier and Wilkes were in Snape's "gang of Slytherins".

Possibly Madam Rosmerta.

The following all come from the Lexicon:

Greta Catchlove/Curd; Davy Gudgeon; Daisy Hookum; Gaspard Shingleton (inventor of the self-stirring cauldron)

There are a number of others without dates that you could pull from the Lexicon, particularly "lesser" members of the Order and middle ranking members of the Ministry.

cherryandphoenixfeather
    Actually, Rosmerta was already running the Three Broomsticks when MWPP were at school.

An extra note on what I said earlier about Harry's friends' parents--I wouldn't say any Patils. But maybe Seamus' mum (or that mysterious magical father of Dean's).

ElectronicQuillster
    I think it's important to remember that Harry was born two years after James and Lily left Hogwarts, so they were young parents. It's not terribly likely for Harry's parents to have been friends with all of Harry's peers' parents. Perhaps some of them, and they may have even run across a bunch of those parents as older students, but it's probably more like real life. Take a look at who your parents' friends are and how old your own friends' parents are.

For a change of topic...

Who the heck is Andrew Kirke? I'd really like to use him in a part of my upcoming story to stir up some trouble with Fred Weasley. Here is the information I found over on Wikipedia's HP portal (which is love, by the way):

Andrew Kirke
    Gender - Male
    Hair/Eye colour - Unknown
    House - Gryffindor
    Parentage - Unknown
    First appearance - OotP

Andrew Kirke is a Beater on the Gryffindor Quidditch team in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix with Jack Sloper. He takes over for Fred and George Weasley when they receive the "life-long" ban from Dolores Umbridge. Kirke's name may be a reference to Andrew Ketterley (Uncle Andrew), the sinister wizarding uncle of Digory Kirke, from the C. S. Lewis' novel The Magician's Nephew. Neither he nor Sloper received much credit for their role; both are described as relatively incompetent.
    Do you think it's likely that he's one of those students in the year between the Trio and the Twins? One of the only characters that we know is in the year between them is Katie Bell. I think I'll probably write him to slightly reflect the namesakes as pointed out here in the excerpt I posted, just to give him a few layers. I don't really like to have flat "extras" in my stories.

I'm thinking it would be easy for Andrew to annoy Fred just because of the entire Quidditch aspect of Andrew being one the people to replace the twins as Beaters. What do ya'll think?

kumydabookworm
    I like the idea. I'll have to look a bit into the age of Kirke, though, to be sure. But you have the relationship between Kirke and Gred and Forge down pat! To annoy the twins further, maybe have Kirke being slightly proud of his position (even though he's terrible)...add salt to a wound, if you know what I mean.

Kumy

ElectronicQuillster
    I probably should have clarified. I was planning on using him in a story that takes place after Hogwarts. I was just wondering if anyone had any input and if it sounded viable that he was in the year below the twins. He could also, potentially, be the same age. That may even heat up the rivalry.

wandaXmaximoff
    Does anyone have any idea how old Rabastan Lestrange (Bellatrix's brother-in-law) was/would be? On the lexicon it only says "early 1970s [Y-10] (deduction from GF27), though strictly speaking, the book only specifies that Rabastan's brother and sister-in-law were Slytherins"
    Would it be plausable that he was around the same age as Sirius and Regulus Black?
    I wanted to know for my fanfiction, as Lucius and Narcissa are talking about possible suitors for their niece Amelia. Amelia was born in 1962 (a year younger than Regulus) and is almost 18 at time of the story.

Edit:
    I would also like to know the age of BartyCrouch, Jr for the same reasons, aswell as any other pure-bloods around that time frame. Thanks.

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Snape Hates Me
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectronicQuillster
    I probably should have clarified. I was planning on using him in a story that takes place after Hogwarts. I was just wondering if anyone had any input and if it sounded viable that he was in the year below the twins. He could also, potentially, be the same age. That may even heat up the rivalry.
    Actually, for some reason I thought of Andrew as a year below Harry, but that's probably just my interpretation.

I think that for him to be in the year below the twins would be best for the story, especially if you want to characterize him as sort of an Amos Diggory to Harry, when he couldn't get over the fact that he'd won over the most popular troublemakers in school. I'm not feeling it so much with the same age thing, however. Go for the year before. I like that better.

______

As for Rabastan, I've seen him in fics being in the same year as Sirius, so I think it would be safe for you to make him around that age.

Barty Crouch was probably (who knows for sure, after all) in Regulus' year or a year younger.