Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Minor Characters

Ariel_thespirit
    Quote Originally Posted by moonymaniac
    *thinks this probably belongs in the minor characters thread*
    Oops!, I'll pm the mod about it
    Quote Originally Posted by moonymaniac
    I think if I were going to write something like this, which would be interesting, btw, I would definitely not make Grindelwald be working for Hitler. Though there are stories of wizards working for men/kings, ie Merlin as friend and advisor to King Arthur, Gandalf as helper to mortal men, etc... in JKR's scenarios, I think it would be much more likely that Hitler would be working for Grindelwald, though Hitler wouldn't see it that way. As a very powerful wizard, Grindelwald, like Voldemort, would not have been satisfied being the wizard behind the ruler. He would have been able to exercise certain control over Hitler, either directly through the Imperious Curse, or by offering his magical abilities to aid Hitler, but the only thing I can imagine Hitler might have over Grindelwald would be the threat of exposing the wizarding world. Most likely, that would have only made Hitler seem (more) insane, so I don't think he would have threatened it. Of course, Grindelwald might have been willing to let Hitler think he was the boss, but I have a hard time imagining him humbling himself that way. I just picture him too much like Voldemort and can't imagine him taking orders from a Muggle. Besides, I think he would be very busy fighting his own war in the wizarding world.

On the other hand, Hitler would have superiority in sheer numbers of people at his command, whereas Grindelwald has far fewer wizards to do his fighting, so a partnership of sorts would have been beneficial for both.

I have imagined that they might have been allies of sorts, though I'm not sure I believe Hitler was actually aware of the wizarding world. It is possible that they were fighting their own battles in tandem, with Grindelwald working to take over the wizarding world while Hitler tried to control the Muggle without Hitler being aware of it. Grindelwald would have known about Hitler, though and could have used magic to help influence him and his war. I think Grindelwald would have seen advantages in having the Muggle world already enslaved and oppressed by Hitler. It would make it much easier for him to then reveal himself and become supreme ruler of the world or something, without having to deal with a free world that is far more likely and capable of fighting back and destroying the much smaller wizarding community. But I think you could definitely have them as allies. That's my take on it, anyway. Good luck with your story.
    I like your theory, and I believe is the more valid. At first I thought that it would be better to make him work for Hitler as his Minister of Magic (ok, i've seen too much movies/read too much books where the Nazis seem obssessed about magical and sacred objects, so I thought that a Minister of Magic for the nazis would be something interesting to write). But then I thought again about it, and left the idea, beacuse, then, I felt it just didn't sound okay, with the Voldy idea also in my mind (beacuse I supposse he would have admired what Grindelwald did, and tried to act like him, of course not failing or trying not to fail).

Thank you very much

Clara

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Snape Hates Me
    Well, actually, if you wanted to write that, I could definitely see Grindelwald providing a Minister for Magic to Hitler. I don't see him doing it personally for the reasons I stated above, but he might assign one of his trusted senior minions to do it. Then, this person would answer to Grindelwald, even moreso than to Hitler. That would also be a way for Grindelwald to keep tabs on Hitler/learn more about him and his weaknesses/control things. It would also feed his ego by giving him the power to provide Hitler with this favor. I think that would be very in character for a power-mad evil wizard.

spike312
    How do you know it has to be Hitler? Listen, Grindelwald sounds like a Russian name to me, Stalin was there. The USSR's soldiers were the most feared by the Germans. Annnd...Durmstrang! I think Grindelwald might have established Durmstrang as a school for the Dark Arts, as the Dark Arts are taught there, their headmaster is even a Death Eater. Remember what Ron said to Harry in book 5? "Dumbledore wants as many foreign wizards as possible." This might mean that there was an Order against Grindelwald and perhaps Dumbledore had spies.

JKR said Grindelwald was important. I think Grindelwald used a Horcrux, and that's how he thought of Horcruxes against Voldemort. It would be likely, as Voldemort said in the fourth book that he "went farther than any wizard before on the road to immortality." This inclines me to believe Voldemort got the Horcrux idea from Grindelwald. It might have been during History of Magic, and no one would have known where he got the idea because of Binns, who puts most people to sleep.

During the cold war era, Stalin took over most og Berlin. He blockaded the city in an attempt to drive the West out of Germany. How could he have held back the citizens of Berlin and Allied soldiers without help from allies? Perhaps with the help of Grindelwald's army? We'll never know 'til July 21.

R_Ravenclaw
    Quote Originally Posted by spike312
    How do you know it has to be Hitler? Listen, Grindelwald sounds like a Russian name to me.
    Personally, Grindelwald sounds very German to me. I take German (and love it!) and know that "wald" means forest. And besides, the Russians and British were Allies for most of the war, and JKR makes it seem like he's an enemy.

Great beirniny
    I think Grindlewald could actually be Hitler. Hitler wants to take over the world. If Grindlewald were Hitler he could disguise himself as a muggle while taking over the muggles and then take over wizards and be in control of both worlds. It may be a little far-fetched, but I like this theory.

Merlynne
    Hmm. I'm fairly certain that Grindelwald was German (certainly sounds very German), though I wouldn't say he was Hitler. I don't think a wizard would distinguish minorities within Muggles, like Hitler did. My bet would be that Grindelwald was German Minister of Magic a the same time that Hitler was. It fits how the Muggle world and the wizarding one tend to mirror one another somewhat, and it would be interesting and not necessarily illogical for two different wars to be being fought on parallel. Perhaps Grindelwand and Hitler helped one another, or supported one anothers campaigns anyways.

As for Grindelwald establishing Durmstrang...I wouldn't rule it out, though I'd say it wasn't the best of all possibilities. Perhaps he established Durmstrang (as name that sounds very German itself) in Russia (because I'm quite certain it's there). It would explain the German sounding name, as well as the pureblood preference, but not much else. However, I think Durmstrang would have been founded long before Grindelwald's era. Hogwarts is certainly older, and for it to be in the top three schools in Europe, I'd say it would have to have a similar age, therefore ruling out Grindelwald. But that's just speculation.

(As for Stalin holding East Berlin, he had the Red Army, remember? That was quite the task force, and they did have that big old Berlin Wall right up the middle, barbed wire, sentries, etc. Besides, I think Grindelwald was defeated by the time the Cold War got that far in, though I can't remember Grindelwald's dates.)

MorwenNott

The Notts

Well, I'll be starting a fiction about Theodore Nott soon, and just needed to work out some little kinks for the backstory before I began.

First off - Nott Sr. has been mentioned as one of the first Death Eaters, or what they were known as before - Knights of Walpurgis. I believe this places him in school during the '40s with Voldemort. JK had also said that he's 'elderly', so I thought it would be plausible. Does anybody have other ideas?

Secondly - No Mother has ever been mentioned for Theodore and he is one of the few in Harry's year to have seen somebody die; his mother could have died from some disease, or maybe she was murdered. What do you believe to have happened?

Thirdly - I assume that his Mother is alot younger than his Father, perhaps by twenty years, and that their marriage was arranged. Good, or no?

Fourthly - JK states that Theodore is as pure(if not more so) as Draco Malfoy, and that he is a clever loner that doesn't feel the need to join gangs like Malfoy's. Could this be transfered to not feeling the need to follow Voldemort and causing him to stay neutral, maybe even have 'Light-siders' try and recruit him? Maybe he ran away from home so he wouldn't have to the the mark, finding refuge with The Ministry and/or Dumbledore and being sent to a prominent Light family or somethign like that.

And I think that's it. I appreciate any help I can get and am open to just about anything

Ariel_thespirit
    Quote Originally Posted by spike312
    How do you know it has to be Hitler? Listen, Grindelwald sounds like a Russian name to me, Stalin was there. The USSR's soldiers were the most feared by the Germans. Annnd...Durmstrang! I think Grindelwald might have established Durmstrang as a school for the Dark Arts, as the Dark Arts are taught there, their headmaster is even a Death Eater. Remember what Ron said to Harry in book 5? "Dumbledore wants as many foreign wizards as possible." This might mean that there was an Order against Grindelwald and perhaps Dumbledore had spies.

JKR said Grindelwald was important. I think Grindelwald used a Horcrux, and that's how he thought of Horcruxes against Voldemort. It would be likely, as Voldemort said in the fourth book that he "went farther than any wizard before on the road to immortality." This inclines me to believe Voldemort got the Horcrux idea from Grindelwald. It might have been during History of Magic, and no one would have known where he got the idea because of Binns, who puts most people to sleep.

During the cold war era, Stalin took over most og Berlin. He blockaded the city in an attempt to drive the West out of Germany. How could he have held back the citizens of Berlin and Allied soldiers without help from allies? Perhaps with the help of Grindelwald's army? We'll never know 'til July 21.
    Well... Grindelwald sounds kind of German to me,Like the name of the german painter Matthias Grunewald (Both names sound similar, don't they?) (A work of Grunewald: http://www.univ-ab.pt/~fcosta/books/...dTriptych.jpg).

And , who knows, perhaps Stalin had another wizard allied with him.

I do believe that Durmstrang was founded earlier. Perhaps at the time of Hogwarts, or some centuries later, but I believe that most of the wizarding schools were founded in the Middle Age.

Vorona
    Grindelwald is NOT a Russian or Slavic name (Russian speaker here who knows some Czech). Neither is Durmstrang, despite all the Slavic characters who attend. Both names are clearly Germanic. There's obviously some German/Slavic thing going on there, so who's to say there isn't with Grindelwald. There are a number of German Russians who were given land by Catherine the Great in Russia, and Peter the Great before her was absolutely in love with the Germans. This is all well before Grindelwald's time, but I think that just because his name is German it doesn't mean he's not associated with Slavs.

As for Nott:

Based on what you've actually written, it looks like Nott Sr. could either be his father or his grandfather -- do you have information that says *his father* is elderly, or just that Nott Sr. was elderly?

His mother: Well either of those would be plausible, I think. Personally (this is my opinion), since Luna's experience was of her mother dying, I think it's more likely that he saw someone else die, but that's just my Libra sense of balance kicking in.

If you have his father elderly, then yes, I'd assume his wife could easily be much younger. We don't know if purebloods had arranged marriages, but it's a common idea in fanfiction and there's nothing against it, so that makes sense. Certainly, old wizarding families seem not to have changed much with the times. It all depends on whether that was an aspect they kept/adapted from the Muggle world or not.

And yes, I think it's safe to say that he wouldn't feel the need to join the Death Eaters, particularly if he's a *proud* loner. I think he might support them, though, without actually joining -- sort of like Sirius' parents. He's still a Slytherin, though, so I doubt he'd overtly pick a side or go into hiding. He'd probably hedge around and try to make everyone happy or at least satisfied enough that he could take the earnings from whatever side actually won.

MorwenNott
    I just look some stuff up, and found that JK said that Theodore's Father is an 'elderly widower', so that kinda kills two birds with one stone; proving his Father is the elderly Nott Sr. and his Mother is dead, so it's likely that he saw her die.

And your last two points help alot, thanks!