Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Minor Characters

Elisabeth
    Wow, thank you so much, cmwinters! Everything you wrote makes perfect sense, and I definitely have everything I need now.

Thanks a million!

Doctor Phoenix
    My current fic is going to be featuring Theodore Nott very prominently in later chapters. He's mentioned only very briefly in the books, and the Lexicon has almost nothing on him. I know Rowling planned to have him be cleverer than Malfoy, he's a Slytherin in Harry's year, and has been described as "stringy-looking." Is there any common speculation about Nott, or any fanon that might help me flesh him out a bit? And what the heck does "stringy-looking" mean?

Biscuits
    He's not really featured much, so we know very little a bout him. Obviously, he's got all the typical Slytherin qualities, and he has a relation in the Death Eaters, so he may be sympathetic to Voldemort. And I think 'stringy-looking' is a reference to him being quite long and skinny. As far as fanon goes, many fics show him as a very quiet, intelligent boy who perhaps doesn't support Voldemort as much as his family.

cmwinters
    Theodore Nott

Hm, actually, my interpretation of what Jo said about Theodore Nott means he's *not* sympathetic to the Death Eaters.

First, what she said can be found here:
    http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en..._view.cfm?id=5

For those with slower connections or computers, I will paraphrase the pertinent information.

Quote Originally Posted by JK Rowling
    Section: Extra Stuff
    Malfoy & Nott (Chamber of Secrets/Goblet of Fire)

I liked this scene so much I tried to use it twice; unfortunately, it didn't work in either place so I finally laid it to rest in one of the cardboard boxes where I keep all my old drafts, notes, electricity bills and chewing gum wrappers.

As in the case of Dean Thomas, I know much more about Theodore Nott than has ever appeared in the books. Raised by a very elderly widower and Death Eater father, Theodore is a clever loner who does not feel the need to join gangs, including Malfoy's.

However, in this scene Theodore's father (the same Nott who was badly injured in the closing chapters of 'Order of the Phoenix') goes to visit Lucius Malfoy to discuss Voldemort-related business and we see Draco and Theodore alone in the garden having a talk of their own. I really liked the scene, firstly because it showed the Malfoys' home, and the difference between the place where Draco has grown up and number four, Privet Drive; then because we rarely see Draco talking to anybody he considers a real equal, and he is forced to see Theodore as such, because Theodore is just as pure-blooded as he is, and somewhat cleverer. Together these two Death Eaters' sons discuss Dumbledore's regime at Hogwarts and Harry Potter, with all sorts of stories that the Death Eaters tell about how this baby boy survived the Dark Lord's attack.
    If he doesn't feel the need to join gangs, it seems to me he doesn't feel the need to join the Death Eaters, either, even if he was concerned that Harry outed his father to the Minister.

Things you might consider: Theodore's blood is supposed to be "as pure as Malfoy's" (and Narcissa's blood, at least, is supposed to be as pure as it gets, nevermind Hagrid's speculation that "there's not a wizard alive today who's not half-blood or less"), but there's an ominous lack of mention of his mother. In fact, of any female. Raised by an "elderly *widower* and his Death Eater father" - where is Theodore's mother, where are his grandmothers? What happened to them, and when, and why? It could be somthing relatively innocuous like both women died in childbirth, or it could be something more sinister. So then, who did all the motherly things, like kissing young Theodore's skinned knees, or did nobody do that? Did he miss that simple sort of compassion and coddling as a child? Who bathed him and changed him as an infant?

As for his appearance, I think you'll go with what Merriam Webster Online says for stringy here: http://m-w.com/dictionary/stringy

Main Entry: stringy
    Pronunciation: 'stri[ng]-E
    Function: adjective
    Inflected Form(s): string·i·er; -est
    1 a : containing, consisting of, or resembling fibrous matter or string stringy hair b : lean and sinewy in build : WIRY
    2 : capable of being drawn out to form a string : ROPY <a stringy precipitate>
    - string·i·ness noun

So I say have him have stringy hair and be tall and wiry of build

Doctor Phoenix
    Thanks...all that is really helpful. I should have thought to look at the dictionary; that would have been the logical thing to do. Thank you!

violeteyes
    Hi all .

I was just wondering about what everyone thinks about Hestia Jones. I'm attempting to write about her for the Spring Challenge, 'A Different Viewpoint,' so I decided to ask around for people's opinions of her. We barely know anything about her, except:

- she is a member of the Order of the Phoenix (but not the original).
    - she shows up with the Advance Guard to retrieve Harry from the Dursleys'.
    - she is described as having pink cheeks and black hair.
    - she laughs at the toaster in the Dursleys' kitchen, so we can assume that she is not a Muggle-born.

I have always pictured her to be cheerful, friendly, and fairly young (in her late 20s or early to mid-30s). Am I completely ignorant for thinking that, or do other people have the same idea?

Tell me what you think!

-- Allie

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by violeteyes
    I was just wondering about what everyone thinks about Hestia Jones. I'm attempting to write about her for the Spring Challenge, 'A Different Viewpoint,' so I decided to ask around for people's opinions of her. We barely know anything about her, except:

- she is a member of the Order of the Phoenix (but not the original).
    - she shows up with the Advance Guard to retrieve Harry from the Dursleys'.
    - she is described as having pink cheeks and black hair.
    - she laughs at the toaster in the Dursleys' kitchen, so we can assume that she is not a Muggle-born.

I have always pictured her to be cheerful, friendly, and fairly young (in her late 20s or early to mid-30s). Am I completely ignorant for thinking that, or do other people have the same idea?
    There are only three appearances of the surname Jones in the Harry Potter universe. Hestia (obviously), Gwenog (who is a member of the all-female Quidditch team the Holyhead Harpies) and Megan Jones, a half-blood Hufflepuff in Harry's year who is only ever actually seen in a classlist that Jo showed in an interview.

Gwenog (the forename) appears to be entirely a JKR creation, but would presumably be a derivative of the word Gwen, which means "White, fair, blessed" in Welsh.

However, Hestia was the Greek goddess of home and hearth. More about her can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hestia

Further, according to Wikipedia, "Jones" is apparently the most common surname in Wales, and Megan is also a Welsh name. I think you could easily have Gwenog, Hestia and Megan all be related, even if Hestia's a pureblood and Megan her half-blood cousin. And I think it's perfectly reasonable, given her description, to have her be youngish, although perhaps a little bit (couple of years?) older than Tonks.

violeteyes
    Awesome... thank you so much for helping!

-- Allie

Ariel_thespirit

Grindelwald

Well, I know that the only thing clearly known by everybody is that he was defeated by Dumbledore in 1945, and that he is somehow related to the World War II events. Beyond that, all is mere speculation.

I've been toying for a few days with the idea of writting a fanfic (probably a one-shot, since I haven't got much time to do a multi-chaptered fic) about this character. But first, I thought that it would be interesting to know what you all think about him. Do you believe he was like a minister for Hitler (just like Joseph Goebbels, Hitler's Propaganda Minister, o Albrecht Speer, the Architect of the III Reich) or that he was just an ally (It could be that they both made a pact, like Hitler and Stalin, both believing the other to be "The lesser evil")?

Thanks in advance
    Clara

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Snape Hates Me
    *thinks this probably belongs in the minor characters thread*

I think if I were going to write something like this, which would be interesting, btw, I would definitely not make Grindelwald be working for Hitler. Though there are stories of wizards working for men/kings, ie Merlin as friend and advisor to King Arthur, Gandalf as helper to mortal men, etc... in JKR's scenarios, I think it would be much more likely that Hitler would be working for Grindelwald, though Hitler wouldn't see it that way. As a very powerful wizard, Grindelwald, like Voldemort, would not have been satisfied being the wizard behind the ruler. He would have been able to exercise certain control over Hitler, either directly through the Imperious Curse, or by offering his magical abilities to aid Hitler, but the only thing I can imagine Hitler might have over Grindelwald would be the threat of exposing the wizarding world. Most likely, that would have only made Hitler seem (more) insane, so I don't think he would have threatened it. Of course, Grindelwald might have been willing to let Hitler think he was the boss, but I have a hard time imagining him humbling himself that way. I just picture him too much like Voldemort and can't imagine him taking orders from a Muggle. Besides, I think he would be very busy fighting his own war in the wizarding world.

On the other hand, Hitler would have superiority in sheer numbers of people at his command, whereas Grindelwald has far fewer wizards to do his fighting, so a partnership of sorts would have been beneficial for both.

I have imagined that they might have been allies of sorts, though I'm not sure I believe Hitler was actually aware of the wizarding world. It is possible that they were fighting their own battles in tandem, with Grindelwald working to take over the wizarding world while Hitler tried to control the Muggle without Hitler being aware of it. Grindelwald would have known about Hitler, though and could have used magic to help influence him and his war. I think Grindelwald would have seen advantages in having the Muggle world already enslaved and oppressed by Hitler. It would make it much easier for him to then reveal himself and become supreme ruler of the world or something, without having to deal with a free world that is far more likely and capable of fighting back and destroying the much smaller wizarding community. But I think you could definitely have them as allies. That's my take on it, anyway. Good luck with your story.

[Bethany] Very useful and certainly in-depth for a minor character. 5 points to Gryffindor