Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fred/George Weasley

Hybrid View

thegirllikeme

Fred/George Weasley

(Alright, I attempted to post a thread along these lines earlier, before I was Sorted, but it never showed up and it was several weeks ago. So I decided to post a new one, because I didn’t see one already here [which surprises me]. I hope I don't get in trouble for this.)

My dilemma is with George. In my slightly Alternate Universe fanfic, I have him paired with an OC. Yes, I chose George and not Fred though it was difficult--speaking as they are identical twins. But, though I'm entirely attached to my ship, I have a few quirks to work out. And I hope you’ll help me.

The first thing is, do you believe that George would be capable of the seriousness needed for a romantic relationship? I know it’s possible for him to be serious as we saw when his father was bitten, and when he grew angry at Malfoy. I can also seem him protective for the one he loves/likes, because he’s extremely protective of Ginny and the rest of his family. But would it be possible for him to have a serious, sit-down conversations about emotions or be able to be supportive and comfortable when someone he cares about is immensely upset maybe even crying? Also, do you think he would be stubborn enough to pursue someone who’s pushing him away (or, at least, attempting to)?

Secondly, do you think that George would date or have a crush on a Slytherin? Shiloh, my OC, is a Slytherin, but she’s friends in a group of girls that consist of the following--two Slytherins (counting Shiloh), a Ravenclaw, a Hufflepuff, and a Gryffindor. Shiloh is also very popular, in the aspect that everyone knows who she is, because she’s sort of a rebel. She’s not going to back down from a fight and she’s not going to do something just because some idiot person told her she should (especially when it comes to hating Gryffindors, just because they’re Gryffindors). I believe these are traits that would attract George to her. He also witnessed her standing up for a Gryffindor when he was being bullied by a fellow student. Oh…and did I mention? She’s REALLY pretty.

But do you think this would be enough for him to look past their warring Houses? I sort of see him trying to fight against his feelings, maybe allowing himself to befriend her, but not letting himself do more, though eventually he caves into his emotions. What are your thoughts, because I’m still not sure how to make this work?

pureblood.princess
    Hey! I believe this ship could definitely work out without anyone being extremely OOC. However, if you don't keep it slow, you may make it unrealistic and just plain strange.

Do you believe that George would be capable of the seriousness needed for a romantic relationship? I personally believe that is possible. Fred seemed fine with Angelina, though JKR doesn't go more into any relationship that may have. Of the pair, George always seemed more serious than Fred (I'm not exactly sure why I think so). I think he would definitely be able to have a serious relationship.

Do you think that George would date or have a crush on a Slytherin? Yes, I do think so. However, you should have their relationship go by SUPER SLOWLY. George is not friendly with ANY Slytherins. No way is he going to start dating one immediately. Give him time to open up to her. You could use her beauty as a way to get him attracted, until he realizes what a deep person she is.

Hope I could help . Good luck!

thegirllikeme
    Hey! I believe this ship could definitely work out without anyone being extremely OOC. However, if you don't keep it slow, you may make it unrealistic and just plain strange.
    Of course, I completely intended to keep it slow, because #1 I can't stand romances where they meet and fall in love with a matter of seconds in between. #2 There's no way my OC would open up to someone quickly--she's pretty protective of her heart. There's probably several other reasons I decided to do it slow, but these are probably the main ones.

Mainly, I'm planning on having them remain friends -- but both knowing they want something more. I plan on George taking her to the Yuleball, but they say they went as 'just friends'. To put it simply, they're somewhere between friends and friendily. They both like each other and care deeply for each other, but things are keeping them apart. Would that work?

And thanks for your opinions. They really help.

radishearrings3
    Do you believe that George would be capable of the seriousness needed for a romantic relationship?
    It depends on what you mean by serious. If you mean serious as in getting married with a nice, well-planned out wedding, you may have to give him a few more years and change the situation a little, (Such as everyone else he knows getting married, and him having a steady girlfriend that he can still have fun with), yes, although it depends a lot on the girl too. (Sorry that sentence was so long) Your OC needs a sense of humor, and needs to be able to crack a few jokes herself. I also think this next trait is very important when it comes to a serious relationship between the two. She needs to be intelligent enough to keep George in check. You shouldn't let her be a follower in the relationship. I may be wrong here, but I think George may try to take things a little too far too quick, and if the girl, who may just be going along with it, will turn out to be very *ahem* not classy *ahem*. But your OC sounds like she'll be able to handle that second trait, from what you've said about her, anyway.

As for serious as in a very dark/angsty-not-many-laughs relationship, definitely not. Fred and George's purpose in the books is comic relief, so your story and your OC should both be funny. Even if the situation they are in is mildly serious,(Not too serious, though.) the twins will still try to lighten it.

Do you think that George would date or have a crush on a Slytherin?
    I think so. He may not be all too happy with the idea at first, but it depends on the situation. If, for example, they are already out of school, he may not even know or care what house she was in.

Hope that helped, and good luck.

Eowyn89
    I love Fred and George, so I felt compelled to answer some of your questions:

Do you believe that George would be capable of the seriousness needed for a romantic relationship?

Yes, I do, but in a different sense. George is innately an unserious person. He is a practical jokester, and likes to have fun. I can’t see him being tied down to one girl, unless she had the same level of humor that he has. George is capable of being serious, but the reasons you have mentioned are because of serious situations. George doesn’t possess the seriousness for romantic love yet—and if he does—that level of emotion has not come out of him during six, almost seven books. That could be a major conflict in the story—George really likes/loves the girl, but she will have nothing to do with him until he can figure out the time for work and the time for play. This scenario could be a defining moment in his character when he starts to become more serious about relationships, but he seems pretty content as of now, without a girlfriend.

I personally don’t see it happening. There is a thick barrier Slytherin and Gryffindor, with rivalries that make it difficult to establish friendships let alone relationships. Fred would never let George hear the end of it if he hooked up with a Slytherin. Now, it is interesting to note that you said the girl was a bit of a rebel and didn’t wish to conform to the norms of Hogwarts. She doesn’t seem to care what house you are in—she will be friends with you anyway. This scenario reminds me of Romeo and Juliet with the feuding households—I hope your story doesn’t end that way! George could definitely have a crush on a Slytherin, but whether he would choose to act on it or not is another question. To date a Slytherin would mean admitting to liking someone of the ‘forbidden house’. You could include a major struggle for George on which option to choose—his heart? Or his family and friends desires?

This idea sounds really interesting….good luck! I hope I helped!

~Katie

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by thegirllikeme
    do you believe that George would be capable of the seriousness needed for a romantic relationship?
    Of course. At some point. He might not do it in 1997, but by 2007 or 2017 it's entirely probable that he'd have progressed to wanting a family.

Men in general aren't really ready for very serious relationships at a young age and as that's an evolutionary survival mechanism, I think people should stop viewing that as "a bad thing". And some men (and some women, for that matter) *never* do, and there's not necessarily anything "wrong" with that either.

The Weasleys in general seem like the kids would eventually want to settle down and have kids, although maybe not as many. My father has seven siblings, and his eldest brother has 3 kids, my father only has me, and EVERYONE else has two, and that's it (except for the second-to-last daughter, who has Down's Syndrome so she never got married).

Zonko's Joke Shop is a fairly well=established business in Hogsmeade, but I don't see anyone contesting the idea that Mr Zonko got married and had kids. Just because someone has a sense of humour and enjoys joking around and such doesn't mean they can't direct their energy elsewhere at other times - a lot of comedians are married...

Quote Originally Posted by thegirllikeme
    do you think that George would date or have a crush on a Slytherin?
    Of course. Houses matter in Hogwarts, but once yiou graduate, nobody seems to give a rat's tail. And remember, Andromeda Black was a Slytherin - her Muggleborn husband Ted Tonks was almost assuredly not, and their daughter Nymphadora was a Hufflepuff, yet Nymphadora is in a relationship with Lupin, who was a Gryffindor.

So it depends on "what kind" of Slytherin you're talking about. If it's someone shallow and petty like Pansy Parkinson, who is completely caught up in blood rights and house politics, no. But cunning and ambitious need not necessarily mean prejudiced and genocidal. The Dark Lord got the best grades Hogwarts had ever seen, Severus Snape was inventing spells at fifteen, something we've only ever seen Dumbledore and the Dark Lord do, and Crouch Jr was one of the best Dark Arts instructors the school ever had.

hermy_loves_ron
    Yay! I was thinking of making a Fred/George thread myself, since I couldn't find one, but now I don't have to!

Do you believe that George would be capable of the seriousness needed for a romantic relationship? I agree when you say George always seemed to be the more serious of the two, which leads to my own questions later. So yes, I do think he would be capable of it, although I obviously don't think he'd be very serious about it all the time. He is a Weasley twin, likely he'd be serious if need be but be himself (albeit more romantic) the rest of the time.

Do you think that George would date or have a crush on a Slytherin? Well, it depends. If the Slyth wasn't a predjudiced(sp?) pure-blooded bigot, but instead got sorted there because of her ambition and cunning, it's possible. But definitely not someone like Pansy.

And, if you don't mind me asking questions:

I need help with the characterazation of George, as well. To me, he and Fred always seemed to be exactly the same, personality-, looks-, and thoughts-wise. Except that Fred always ended up having more lines in a conversation, or taking the lead (like he did in their escape from Umbridge). George, though they were both obviously very outgoing, seemed to be a little less so.

Which is my problem. George seems to be everything Fred is, but less so. I want to kind of play this up in a fic, which deals with George's insecurities. But of course, that can't be all there is to his character. It wouldn't really be fair, would it, to make George a carbon-copy of Fred that lost a bit of its clarity in the copying stage? So to me, George has to have some redeeming quality that Fred doesn't, that maybe he comes to terms with in the end.

What, in George's character, can he have "better" than Fred?

Secondly, I was wondering about a romantic relationship involving one of the twins. If they look the same, act the same, and think the same, you'd think they'd be attracted to the same girls. If, that is, we assume they are like one person split into two bodies. What could make one of them attracted to a girl and the other one not? Also, it would work the other way around. What would make a girl attracted to one and not the other, if they were so alike?

Sorry for the rambling. I've just been having a lot of trouble with my fic lately.

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by hermy_loves_ron
    They aren't carbon copies, even though they sometimes are presented that way in canon. Few twins really are, even identical ones.

I think what you'd probably have good success at is making one of them more intellectual than the other - possibly George, although Fred is more outgoing. Or maybe Fred comes up with the Wild and Crazy (tm) ideas, and George mashes them into something workable.

They got three OWLs each - somehow I had it in my head that they had 3 OWLs each in a total of four subjects, but I don't think that's canon. Given the nature of the Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes, I'd say Potions, Charms and Transfiguration are a good bet. Maybe they had three OWLs each, but each in 3 different subjects, because I could see how Arithmancy, Herbology and Care of Magical Creatures could be useful information in WWW, too. And they could easily have said "You apply yourself to $subject and I'll apply myself to $other_subject."

Quote Originally Posted by hermy_loves_ron
    What could make one of them attracted to a girl and the other one not? Also, it would work the other way around. What would make a girl attracted to one and not the other, if they were so alike?
    It's almost a guarantee that they'll have at least slightly different personalities, so maybe Fred likes the athletic type more (Angelina Johnson was his Yule Ball date), but maybe George likes the intellectual type more.

msdiggoryx3

Yes, i think that because he is so funny and joking, he will be more capable of a serious relationship, however, I think that he needs to be pushed a bit to be more serious. For instance, If she dumps him because of a prank, and he realizes that he does love her, and will be more serious around her. Once he realizes that, he needs to be supportive, he will make a great parter. You just need to make him push his limits.

I think that it would have to be rough. It might start with a prank gone awry and getting George in trouble, then the slytherin sticking up for him or protecting him.

I think that no matter how much they seem alike, Fred and George's personalities are different. George is quieter, and more serious, he seems more likely to settle down. Fred, on the other hand, seems like the kind of person who doesn't know when to stop. He would be more likely to be in an unstable but fun relationship.

What could make one of them attracted to a girl and the other one not?

George and Fred would both like girls with senses of humor, but George would like some one who wants to settle down and live a fun and humorus life, but also a comfortable and stable one. Fred would like someone who was always fun, even when she shouldn't be. Someone who would laugh at EVERYTHING. I think that at first they would like the same girl, but as they got to know her, on would realizeshe meshed better with the other, and move on.

What would make a girl attracted to one and not the other, if they were so alike?

As above, the girl would probably like both for a while, but once she got to know them ,she would pick the incredibly nice, and fun one, who knew how to be serious, or the fun loving one who never knew when to stop,

Hope that helped!

Ellie

lasweetie
    What would make a girl attracted to one and not the other, if they were so alike?
    I've always wondered this, and I started to sort it out in a fic I wrote *with no intention to publish :-)* My OC and George get together. The reason I chose George was that he seemed to be the more serious *though still not very serious at all* twin. I've always seen him as a planner, and Fred the executer.

Interestingly enough, I looked up the meanings of their names:

George- earthworker, farmer
    Fred *I had to look up Frederick*- peaceful ruler

I can make a connection that's very stretched to how I feel about them. Farmers must plan everything out, make sure things go well, and rulers must take action, and it's even harder to make PEACEFUL action.

So there you go. That's what I think