Thread: Madam Malkin

guiding ray of sunlight

Madam Malkin

Hey all!

I'm writing a fic for the spring challenge about an aprentice to Madam Malkin. So, naturally, I need serious help with Madam Malkin's characterisation. For instance, if greeted with a "Good Morning" what would her response be? If she knew of someone's blood-traitor secrets, would she spill the beans to the parents, even at risk of the said person life? What if that person were someone close to her?

Is she even pureblood? It isn't stated in the Lexicon....but purebloods do come to her for their robes...so...would she keep the secret if it meant losing buisness if it came out?

~Sunray

Vorona
    Since we don't have a lot of information on her, I think you can do a lot of the characterization yourself. At least it's pretty obvious that she's female, so at least you won't run into the Blaise problem of a few years back (and it was a problem back then, too, because Blaise *is* a male name.)

So, what do we know? (or rather, what do I know off the top of my head...)

Her last name "Malkin" does suggest she's not from a good family, in terms of ethics (mal = bad, kin = family), however she's not linked to the Blacks. It also could be short for Grimalkin. Grimalkin is a the witches' cat from Macbeth (I think -- it's been awhile since I've studied Shakespeare, so I might have the plays messed up, and I never actually *read* the play with Grimalkin).

She owns a shop for robes on Diagon Alley. So far, everyone we know has gotten their school robes there, unless they're getting them second-hand, like the Weasleys. That doesn't mean you *can't* get school robes somewhere else, but the fact that Harry goes back there after he knows that Malfoy goes there (and vice versa) suggests that it might be at the very least, a specialty of hers (maybe lower prices or something). However, we know from the 6th book that it's not all she has, AND that the Malfoys shop there for things *other* than regular school robes, which suggests that she either has very high quality robes or some connection to the Malfoys (from familial to owing a favor)... and probably both, considering what we know of Slytherins and the Malfoys. I'd guess it's not a very *strong* connection, though, or Narcissa wouldn't have made her threat and gotten the robes somewhere else.

Mollie Black
    I think I can only help you with part of your question. She seems to be a bit impatient, but for the most part a nice person. When Harry runs into Draco in her shop, he squirms around and she snaps at him to stop moving so much, but other than that, she's never spoken much, so she's pretty much yours to play with. Have fun!

nikkiolapotter
    To me, she seems like a no nonsense kind of person. However, I think when you get to know her, she could be pretty nice, but not your best friend. Her personal ethics seem pretty strong to her, so she doesn't seem like some one who would get all lovey dovey to her best friend. My best advice would be to keep her stern, but with a slight touch of politeness.

Maerad_Of_Pellinor
    I would agree with Mollie black and nikkiolapotte.
    Madam Malkin would be a bit McGonalgal-ish, seems stern and strict on the outside, but maybe a big softy inside, also very hurried and rushing around.
    if greeted with a "Good Morning" what would her response be?
    I would say that in this case she would do a quick nod in response to say that she has heard.
    Is she even pureblood? It isn't stated in the Lexicon....but purebloods do come to her for their robes...so...would she keep the secret if it meant losing buisness if it came out?
    The word Malkin is defined as a cat.... maybe that is linked to her being witchy?
    However can also mean an untidy women and women of the lower classes. This could refer to her proffession being of the lower class or it could also mean that maybe she isnt a pure blood? I wonder why the Malfoys go to her than?
    If she knew of someone's blood-traitor secrets, would she spill the beans to the parents, even at risk of the said person life? What if that person were someone close to her?
    Personaly i would say that like McGonagal she would befrend someone but not as a close relationship and if the secret was important than she would stay quiet. Unless the person who told the secret would be harmed by her stayng quiet, if you get what i mean.

Though really not much is known about her so let your creative juices flow and have fun! I hope i helped.

pumpkin_juice
    I dont believe Cho would stand for any abuse. Although after the death of Cedric she became alot more needy, vulnerable and unsure of herself she's not stupid and i dont think she would stay with anyone one who traeted her in a bad way.

I dont believe that Cho is capable of being a death eater after all it was a dark wizard who killed her boyfriend and i fail to see how for any reason she would want too join the side that killed him. If anything i'd think she would want to fight against them not join them.

pumpkin_juice
    Posting on previous message in Madam Malkin thread ~ the previous post was meant for a different thread, one in which Cho chang was in question. I'm not crazy, it must have been re directed to the wrong place!

Ravenclaw_Soprano
    Madam Malkin seems like the kind of person who doesn't want to have disputes with anyone, nor does she want anyone to get hurt in her shop. She tries to fit and finish the robes as quickly as possible, and doesn't tolerate anything out of hand. She treats the witches and wizards with respect and expects that they will in turn respect her handiwork (expressed in her disgust when the Draco takes off the robe and throws it on the floor before leaving).

In terms of Malkin meaning cat, that may refer to the elegance and delicacy with which she does her work. When Draco is disturbed by her touching his arm with the pin, she tries to straighten out or smooth down the situation as a cat might straighten her fur while cleaning herself.

She doesn't seem like the type who would gossip. She gets right to her job and doesn't let anything get in the way; even when Draco and Harry were talking in the first book, she didn't get involved, she just continued with her own job. In the case of the war, I think it likely that she would merely fend for herself, not provide information concerning others.