Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: FRENCH Language Help

Wand_Waver2006
    More than anything:

I would think 'Plus de quelque chose', but when I translate it back it's 'More of something'. When I asked my mum, she got 'Plus que n'importe quoi'.

Okay, fluent French speakers, you can take over...

♪Star♪

Vous parlez français? Slytherin
    Filch is a Squib!
    Ok! Let's see what I can do to help you people!

no_day_but_today: I'll put my comments in some color...

You choose your own fate - Vous choisissez votre propre destin. (This one's probably the most important one) This is good, but you could also say "Tu choisis ton propre destin", if the person speaking is close to the other person, like if they know each other very well. "Vous" is when you're talking to someone you don't know, someone important that you need to show them respect (like a teacher or the Prime Minister).

Where is the Great Hall? - Où est le Grand Hall?
    I'm sorry - Je suis désolé If it's a girl who's speaking, it will be "désolée" with an e at the end. Yes, French is complicated...
    My French is very good - Mon Francais est magnifique. Here, I would say "Mon français est très bon". "Magnifique" means magnificient, "très bon" means very good. And you don't need a capital letter for "français".
    Watch out - Montre dehors Watch out stands for "Fais attention". What you're saying with "montre dehors" is actually Show outside...
    You don't understand - Vous ne comprenez pas It's good, but you could also say "Tu ne comprends pas", like I explained you for the first sentence.
    Forgive me - Pardonne moi You need to add a hyphen between "pardonne" and "moi". Again, if you're speaking to someone not close to you, it will be "Pardonnez-moi".
    You're being stupid - Vous êtes stupide Here also, "Tu es stupide" can work... I think you know the rule now!
    Close your eyes - Fermez vos yeux Or "Ferme tes yeux".
    Good for you - Bon pour toi I would say "C'est bien pour toi" or "C'est bon pour toi". In French, we don't really just say "Bon pour toi", it's a bit incomplete.
    Good luck - Bonne chance
    No I'm not - non je ne suis pas Here, it's more complicated, because it will depend on what your character isn't exactly... Because again, you can't leave your sentence like that, it is incomplete. You need to add something after "Non, je ne suis pas...", because it could mean so many things... Do you think you could tell what your character is saying, so I can tell you the right thing??

LadyAlesha: "Plus de quelque chose" definitely means "more of something". Now, "plus que n'importe quoi" is good, but you could also say "plus que tout", which to me, sounds better. In this precise situation, I would make Fleur say "Plus que tout au monde", which means "more than anything in the world". You could leave it like that, with "plus que tout", but it feels a bit incomplete in French... I feel a bit vague myself saying this, but French can be so complicated sometimes and translating isn't always easy, even if my first language is French.

Hope I helped!

Banner by bittersweet_lullaby! Let's go back in time!

Snape's Talon
    I don't whether this is the right place, but I need something translated into either Cajun or French. If I understand correctly, Cajun is a dialect of French. In any case, this is for a Potion that is based from the voodoo arts of New Orleans.

"Death's Mask"

I think in French it's "le masque de mort", but I'm better with Spanish than French. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Many thanks, SiriuslyMental!

SiriuslyMental
    Le masque de la mort.

Without the la, it's incomplete.

Merlynne
    Hmm, I have something I'd like to check as well:

It is a child speaking to his aunt, asking her if she'd like to see his pet spider:
    "Aimeriez-vous voir ma grande araignée?" Is that correct? I might be missing an "a" but I'm never certain, and I thought I should be if I'm going to put it in in French, or maybe there's a better way to say this.

-Merlynne

miss padfoot
    I think that looks fine. Although you might want to say 'Voulez-vous' instead of 'Aimeriez-vous'. I think the former is more common. So it would read 'Voulez-vous voir ma grande araignee?'

Hope that helps a bit!

EDIT: I must probably warn you that I'm not a native French speaker, though.

SiriuslyMental
    I would say Est-ce que tu veux/voudrais voir ma grande araignée ? It sounds better, and aimer is to like in a different sense than vouloir.

Poppet
    Is va c'et (or something similar) a way of saying "go", as in "leave now"? Or should I just stick with Allez?

miss padfoot
    Allez sounds good. But since it sounds like a command, you should probably say va instead. Unless, of course, the command is being issued to more than one person, in which case you should use allez.

Hope that helps!

SiriuslyMental
    On va. On doit aller. On y va. Allez. Vas. Va.
    It depends on what you are trying to say, who is saying, and it whom.