Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: FRENCH Language Help

Disappearance_26
    I'd go with "Salut!" It's pretty much the same as "Hello" and it'd work *shrugs* it depends on the character you're using though... is she normally formal or just carefree?

However, I'd have to agree with others' advice about finding someone who actually speaks Parisian slang...

SiriuslyMental
    I know Parisian slang !

I'd say Salut is very safe, but you could use "wesh bien ou koi", which is like, "yo, you good or what", to which one would reply "trankil, t'as vu", "bien", or "ça va". There are other responses, but these are the most common.

Trankil, t'as vu - fine, you know
    Bien - good, well
    ça va - literally "it goes". It basically means that you're doing fine.

Tinn Tam
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriuslyMental
    I know Parisian slang !

I'd say Salut is very safe, but you could definitely use "wesh bien ou koi", which is like, "yo, you good or what", to which one would reply "trankil, t'as vu", "bien", or "ça va". There are other responses, but these are the most common.

Trankil, t'as vu - fine, you know
    Bien - good, well
    ça va - literally "it goes". It basically means that you're doing fine.
    *tears her eyes out*

Okay, I'm Parisian... As was said before, "Salut!" is good, "ça va?" is getting pretty common, and I've never ever heard "wesh bien ou koi". Nor do I hope to ever hear it. That sounds rather horrifyingly idiotic (no offence to SiriuslyMental). As for "Trankil", I've heard it--but please, please spell it "tranquille", as it's supposed to. "Wesh bien ou koi" and "trankil" are of the dumbest sort of netspeak, so not even correct slang, and I strongly recommend not to use them.

SiriuslyMental
    Haha my boyfriend is Parisian.

Wesh bien ou koi is argot. Very, very slangy, but I've never met someone from Paris who didn't know what it meant. My friend from the Côte d'azur - no clue. But my friends from Paris or around it knew this, although I definitely think Salut and Ça va are safer.

Trankil is sms spelling for tranquille.

But I agree with salut and ça va.

If it's in writing, the character could say coucou, which is another word for hello, but not orally.

Moderator's Edit: Please do not use net/sms speak on the forums, particularly in language threads.

Wand_Waver2006
    I was reccomended some help so...here I am.

Yes, I help and need help. Kinda redundant, if you ask me.

Well, I need some things translated to see if I have them right. It's for ElectronicQuillster's Animagus Class.

It will be easy!~C'est serrai facile!
    Do not worry.~N'inquite pas.
    Tu n'aides rien.~You're no help at all.
    pas encores! ~ Not again.
    Viens avec nous!~Come with us!

I'm horrible with future and imperfect, and some verb tenses. How did I survive four years of French?

Thanks,
    ♪Star♪

SiriuslyMental
    It will be easy!~Il sera facile!
    Do not worry.~Ne t'inquiètes pas.
    Tu n'aides rien.~You're no help at all. - This is not really a French sentence, so I will change it to - Tu ne m'aides pas. You don't help me.
    Pas encore! ~ Not again.
    Viens avec nous!~Come with us!

Wand_Waver2006
    ElectronicQuillster said 'Il sera facile!' could be 'Ce sera facile!' as well. Would that work?

Thanks, SM! *scampers off to change some stuff*

♪Star♪

SiriuslyMental
    Ce sera facile, yes. They both mean the same thing.

And I had a typo in the last, lol. I wasn't thinking and wrote tu ne m'aimes pas, but I just looked and changed it to aides. I hate my keyboard.

no_day_but_today
    Hi guys,

I'm not the best with languages and I basically did this through dictionaries, so I don't know if these are right. Could you guys check and see if these are correct?

You choose your own fate - Vous choisissez votre propre destin. (This one's probably the most important one)

Where is the Great Hall? - Ou est le Grand Hall?
    I'm sorry - Je suis desole
    My French is very good - Mon Francais est magnifique.
    Watch out - Montre dehors
    You don't understand - Vous ne comprenez pas
    Forgive me - Pardonne moi
    You're being stupid - Vous etes stupide
    Close your eyes - Fermer vos yeux
    Good for you - Bon pour toi
    Good luck - Bonne chance
    No I'm not - non je ne suis pas

Thank you

LadyAlesha
    Hi guys!

I need some help with a tiny bit of dialogue in my new one-shot. Ok, all I need is one sentence translated into French. The story is about Bill and Fleur and they have this mini-conversation:

Bill: Je t'aime.
    Fleur: I love you, too. More than anything.

I want Fleur to say 'I love you, too' in English, but I want her to say the 'more than anything'-bit in French. Could someone translate that for me?

I'd be forever grateful to you.

Thanks a lot,
    Ilka.