Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: FRENCH Language Help

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Hello

Could someone provide me with a translation, please.

The English phrase is, "This is wrong."

It's referring to behaviour that is wrong - not a piece of homework - and the behaviour is morally wrong (or so the speaker thinks) not evil or mischievous.

It is a woman speaking to another woman.

Also, what is the translation for Twins (a male pair and a pair that are male and female - if that makes a difference.)

Thank-you

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    The English phrase is, "This is wrong."
    I would go with "C'est mal" or "C'est injuste." The latter is more like 'this is unfair'; I don't know if that's what you're going for.

Also, what is the translation for Twins (a male pair and a pair that are male and female - if that makes a difference.)
    Both would be "les jumeaux" (*the* twins) or "des jumeaux" (twins in general)
    Eliza

Vous parlez français? Slytherin
    Filch is a Squib!
    Both would be "les jumeaux" (*the* twins) or "des jumeaux" (twins in general)
    I'd just like to add, that if one pair of twins are male and female, we often call them "faux jumeaux" (literaly, fake twins), because they are not identical twins. I don't know if it's used in English too, but I thought it was a good idea to mention it...

Banner by bittersweet_lullaby! Let's go back in time!

FireAndIce
    Quote Originally Posted by obsessed_with_jo
    I would go with "C'est mal" or "C'est injuste." The latter is more like 'this is unfair'; I don't know if that's what you're going for.
    Hmnn...I went to french immersion school for a very long time and it seems to me that "Ceci" would be a bit more grammatically correct in this instance. (Instead of "C'est")

Filch is a Squib!
    Quote Originally Posted by FireAndIce
    Hmnn...I went to french immersion school for a very long time and it seems to me that "Ceci" would be a bit more grammatically correct in this instance. (Instead of "C'est")
    I would have to disagree here. The word "Ceci" sounds very formal to me and would be more used in narration, when someone is describing an object or a situation. Actually, "C'est" is the contraction of the the words "Ceci est" (This is), and is what we most use in the case of a dialogue or in a conversation. So to me, "C'est" is the correct word.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    The phrase I'm looking for "This is wrong" or perhaps "This is all wrong." is not where wrong means incorrect or unjust. I need wrong to mean morally wrong.

The context is someone is kissing someone they shouldn't be and then they pull away and say 'This is wrong'

Thank-you for the faux jumeaux infromation. That sounds perfect!

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    The phrase I'm looking for "This is wrong" or perhaps "This is all wrong." is not where wrong means incorrect or unjust. I need wrong to mean morally wrong.
    Correct me if I'm wrong (no pun intended ), but I think 'C'est mal' would serve that purpose. If you want to be a bit more specific, I guess you could say 'C'est immoral,' which is basically flat-out saying "This is immoral." That one seems a bit heavyhanded to me, though. Then again, I'm not a native speaker, so a second opinon might be advisable
    Eliza

Filch is a Squib!
    "C'est mal" is definitely what I would use too. I didn't say anything about it when you first gave that translation, obsessed_with_jo, because I thought it was the right thing to say. (I'm a native speaker, so...) I hope we helped you Carole!

Celtic_Jewel
    Hi, I was wondering, how would you say Grandmother and Grandfather? And it's kind of informal, they're a very close family.

Any help would be appreciated,
    -Ema

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    Grandfather is grand-père, and grandmother is grand-mère.

For grandpa you could use papé, pepé, papy, papi or grand-papa.

For grandma you coud use mamie, mémère, mémé or grand-maman.

That's what my dictionary tells me. The last each I'm definitely sure about, and they're also for informal use. For the other words, it would be great to have a native speaker confirm them.

Hope that helped a bit though.

~Bine
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^