Thread: FRENCH Language Help

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    Marie/MarieEvans760

Exclamations:
    Oh my goodness! - Oh mon Dieu!
    Thank God! - Dieu merci!
    God forbid! - À Dieu ne plaise!
    Oh my God!/For God's sake! - Pour l'amour de Dieu!

I've never been so insulted in my life. Never! The nerve of that girl. -
    Jamais encore je suis insulté(e) de cette manière. Jamais! Cette insolence/effronterie! (Never before I've been this insulted. Never! Such nerve!)

I hope that helps. If someone has better/more ideas/translations, please go ahead. My French has grown (very) rusty.

~Bine
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

Azhure
    Hey, guys! I was wondering if you could translate the following sentences for me:

-Hello, what's your name?
    -Nice to meet you.
    -I'm Gabrielle.
    -My name is Gabrielle

Thanks in advance!

~~Azhure~~

Tinn Tam
    Quote Originally Posted by luinrina
    Marie/MarieEvans760

Exclamations:
    Oh my goodness! - Oh mon Dieu!
    Thank God! - Dieu merci!
    God forbid! - À Dieu ne plaise!
    Oh my God!/For God's sake! - Pour l'amour de Dieu!

I've never been so insulted in my life. Never! The nerve of that girl. -
    Jamais encore je suis insulté(e) de cette manière. Jamais! Cette insolence/effronterie! (Never before I've been this insulted. Never! Such nerve!)

I hope that helps. If someone has better/more ideas/translations, please go ahead. My French has grown (very) rusty.

~Bine
    Heh, not bad, but 'God forbid' would be better translated as 'Dieu m'en garde!'. Both translations are rather old-fashioned, but the second would be still more used than the (very archaic) first.

We would probably say 'Pour l'amour du ciel!' more than 'Pour l'amour de Dieu!' too.

I've never been so insulted in my life. Never! The nerve of that girl. - Je n'ai jamais été autant insulté [insultée if it's a female speaking] de ma vie. Jamais! Quelle insolence!

And to Azhure:

-Nice to meet you.
    -I'm Gabrielle.
    -My name is Gabrielle
    - Bonjour, comment t'appelles-tu?
    - Enchanté. (Enchantée if it's a girl speaking)
    - Je m'appelle Gabrielle. (Same translation for the last two lines)

EDIT to luinrina: nice translations, "Tu t'appelles comment?" is a more familiar way of speaking -- maybe better than what I said, depending on the context. Teenagers at school would say "Tu t'appelles comment?".

Remember that "Allô" is exclusively used when answering the phone though. :P

"Je suis heureux (heureuse) de faire ta connaissance" is even more formal than "Enchanté(e)", too. And we don't say "Je suis Gabrielle" -- that's an English specialty.

Hey Azhure, I'll try to translate these for you:

Tu t'appelles comment? or Bonjour. Tu t'appelles comment?

-Nice to meet you.
    Well, easiest would be Enchanté(e <-- for females saying that), although it sounds like coming from a good historical story. But the French still say that nowadays. Another way would be Je suis heureux (heureuse for female) de faire ta connaissance. although that is even more formal. (Thanks to Tinn Tam. )

-I'm Gabrielle. / My name is Gabrielle.
    Je m'appelle Gabrielle.

Hope that helps.

~Bine

EDIT: Seems that Tinn Tam was a bit faster than I was.

EDIT 2: Ah ok, thanks, Tinn Tam. *goes editing*

Azhure
    Thanks for the help, guys! I have another couple of sentences which need to be translated:

-Gabrielle, it's time to come inside. You can play later.
    -Goodbye. I will see you next time.

Thanks so much again!

~~Azhure~~

cirelondiel
    -Goodbye. I will see you next time.
    Au revoir. À la prochaine.

Gabrielle, il faut rentrer. Tu peux jouer plus tard. {Not so sure about this one - I think 'rentrer' is more like 'to come home', but I can't think of a better word}

-- Chelsea

Tinn Tam
    Quote Originally Posted by cirelondiel
    Gabrielle, il faut rentrer. Tu peux jouer plus tard. {Not so sure about this one - I think 'rentrer' is more like 'to come home', but I can't think of a better word}

-- Chelsea
    - Gabrielle, il est temps de rentrer. Tu pourras jouer plus tard.

"Rentrer" works here, and you can even translate "it's time to" word for word. On the other hand,it's better to translate "you can play later" with a future (literally, "you'll be able to play later").

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    We all know that Hogwarts takes students from not only England, but from Scotland and Ireland as well. There are smaller countrie in Europe who speak French as one of their offical languages, but may be too small ti have a magic school of their own.

What nationalities other than French do you believe reside in Beauxbatons?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Molly, I can imagine that some Belgian students as well as students from Switzerland where they speak French in some parts might go to Beauxbatons. Also, probably children from the Pyrenees, even if from Spain, might go to Beauxbatons if they speak French.

French is official language in Luxembourg and Monaco as well so students from these countries will most likely be going to Beauxbatons, too.

Andorra is a small country in the Pyrenees. Wikipedia says the official language is Spanish, but I can imagine children speaking French being able to go to Beauxbatons as well. The same might apply to Italian children, living near the borders. They might be speaking French next to Italian, too, but I have no idea if that would be enough knowledge to go to Beauxbatons.

A possibility you should think about is that France has departéments and terretories in oversea, the so called DOM-TOMs. Officially, these are part of the French governmental system, making the inhabitants French citizens. If the parents of children from the DOM-TOMs are rich, why not have the children be sent to Beauxbatons as well?

The same applies to Africa. Many countries were once French colonies, and the people today speak French as official language. If families are rich, they could be able to afford sending their children to Beauxbatons.

Hope that helped.

~Bine

Tinn Tam
    Quote Originally Posted by luinrina
    A possibility you should think about is that France has departéments and terretories in oversea, the so called DOM-TOMs. Officially, these are part of the French governmental system, making the inhabitants French citizens. If the parents of children from the DOM-TOMs are rich, why not have the children be sent to Beauxbatons as well?

The same applies to Africa. Many countries were once French colonies, and the people today speak French as official language. If families are rich, they could be able to afford sending their children to Beauxbatons.
    They wouldn't necessarily need to be rich. Hogwarts takes all students, rich or poor; we know they have a fund for students who can't afford studies. The same could apply for Beauxbâtons.

On a side note, people from the DOM-TOMs would certainly go to Beauxbâtons -- the DOM-TOMs are a part of France.

As for francophone-but-not-French countries...well, why not? No canon proof -- I'm not aware of the existence of Hogwarts students who aren't UK citizens -- but it's fanfiction, after all.