Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: FRENCH Language Help

Pheonix song
    How do you say "hope" in french, or maybe "Hopes light?"

Please help the crazy American that speaks no french. . .

Tinn Tam
    How do you say "hope" in french, or maybe "Hopes light?"

Please help the crazy American that speaks no french. . .
    "Hope": espoir, or espérance (espoir is more commonly used, but sometimes because of "sonority issues", we use espérance; it depends on the context).

"Hopes light": Err... "Espoir" in plural ("Hopes") is simply "espoirs", with a final "s". "Light" = lumière. If you mean "Hope's light" or something of the sort... La lumière de l'espoir.

Could you give me the context? Then I may be able to give you better help.

Vous parlez français? Slytherin
    Filch is a Squib!
    Hope is "espoir" in French. For your hopes light, I'm not quite sure though... Maybe "la lumière de l'espoir", but that sounds weird to me when I try to translate it. Somebody else has an idea?

Edit: Now that's weird. I thought I had answered before Tinn Tam on this one... My post was right after Phoenix song when I checked last time... Crazy things are going on on these forums...

Banner by bittersweet_lullaby! Let's go back in time!

Wand_Waver2006
    Well...like Tam said, lumière is light, though I'm lost for hope, so I'm guessing you guys have it right. So, yeah, I agree with la lumière de l'espoir. Wouldn't there be an e on the end, though, since lumière is feminine? Or is espoir masculin? Uh, adding e's and s's is not my strong point...

Tinn Tam
    Quote Originally Posted by Wand_Waver2006
    Well...like Tam said, lumière is light, though I'm lost for hope, so I'm guessing you guys have it right. So, yeah, I agree with la lumière de l'espoir. Wouldn't there be an e on the end, though, since lumière is feminine? Or is espoir masculin? Uh, adding e's and s's is not my strong point...
    Trust me on this one, I'm French . "Espoir" is masculin; "lumière" is, indeed, féminin, but "espoir" doesn't agree with "lumière" as it's a noun, complement of another noun. On the other hand, attributive adjectives and articles do agree (in gender and number) with the nouns they qualify.

Yes, French grammar IS complicated .

ElectronicQuillster
    Ta da! Here I am, begging the guiding help of some of our lovely French speakers. I studies French all through high school, and I'm alright with basics, I suppose. I'm taking a conversational class this semester, so it's coming back to me, but I'm not confident with this bit I've written for one of my new stories.

Sirius and his brother have a governess in this story before they go to Hogwarts. They're having a French session right now (since 'Toujours Pur' is the family motto, I assumed they had a French heritage), and this is the scene I've got.

Sirius, on the other hand, threw his quill down on the table. “No, French is pointless. I don’t like Latin, but I need it for spells. I don’t need French for anything!”

“Your father insists. It’s part of your heritage as a Black,” Isabelle explained.

“I’m not going to talk to my dead relatives.”

Isabelle had to try very hard not to laugh at the young man’s blunt statement. She hardly took notice of the objects on the other side of the room moving positions to different tables or corners of the room. “Peut être to as raison, Sirius, mais tes cheveux sont bleus.”

Regulus snorted, and a moment later Sirius also caught on. “What did you do to my hair?” he exclaimed, rushing out of the room to look at his reflection in the mirror at the end of the hall.

“Si tu parle de la français, tes cheveux vas retour au normal!” Isabelle yelled after him.
    Am I on track with the grammar? Is there anything I need to change? Thanks SO much, ahead of time!!!

Tinn Tam
    “Peut être to as raison, Sirius, mais tes cheveux sont bleus.”
    "To" isn't a word . You meant "tu". And in good French, you wouldn't put "peut-être" at the beginning of the sentence, unless you invert the subject and the verb.

So, you can choose between:
    Peut-être as-tu raison,
    and:
    Tu as peut-être raison,
    If I were you, I would choose the latter. "Peut-être as-tu raison" is too formal. The "Tes cheveux sont bleus" part is okay.

“Si tu parle de la français, tes cheveux vas retour au normal!”
    Several problems here.

1) Verbs of the first group, like "parler," are written with an "s" at the end when the subject is "tu". So you need to write: "Si tu parles."

2) Your sentence contains a conditional clause, beginning with "si", and a main clause. In that context, the conditional clause must be in the present tense and the main clause in the future. "Vas" is 2nd person in the present for "aller", whereas you need to put a 3rd person in plural (as "hair" is plural in French) in the future.

3) The other mistakes are idiomatic expressions you translated literally into French. To speak French is translated as Parler français, not "de la français". Speaking of which, "français" is masculine, not feminine .
    Go back to normal is in French redevenir normal (literally, "to become normal again").

So, all in all, the correct sentence would be:
    "Si tu parles français, tes cheveux redeviendront normaux!"
    But If I were you, I would replace it with the following sentence (same meaning):
    "Parle français, et tes cheveux redeviendront normaux!"
    I think that's all .

EDIT: Maybe that third version is the best after all:
    "Tu n'as qu'à parler français, et tes cheveux redeviendront normaux!"
    All right, I'll stop now!

AshNight
    I'd like for the title of my story to be in french and to say: To Love!

It would be similar to a salute like, to life! or to hope! but...yeah. I take German so that's no use here at all. n_n

Tinn Tam
    Quote Originally Posted by AshNight
    I'd like for the title of my story to be in french and to say: To Love!

It would be similar to a salute like, to life! or to hope! but...yeah. I take German so that's no use here at all. n_n
    "A l'amour!"

There you go, fifty characters I hope.

Vous parlez français? Slytherin
    Filch is a Squib!
    Now I'm having this little problem and I really don't know if I can post this here... You see, I speak French, it's my first language and now there's some french words I'm trying to translate in English, but my dictionnary doesn't really help on this one. So I thought that maybe my French speaking fellows could help me...

The words I need are related to Christmas in a way. How do you say a "couronne de Noel" in English? You know, those things we hang on our front doors... And also, how do you call the "fruits" from a pine tree, you know, the brown thing? In here, we call it a "cône de pin". Can anybody help me??

Banner by bittersweet_lullaby! Let's go back in time!