Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: FRENCH Language Help

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    The term "blonde" is slang for a girlfriend regardless of hair colour...at least in Québec, so I don't think that would work...
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    Um, can anyone tell me a slang term in French for a rather trashy/tarty looking girl?
    Une Guidoune is a badly dressed woman, but it can also be taken as prostitute, (just warning you, but it does mean badly dressed woman, some people just take it as prostitute, but unless someone from Québec is reading it, you'll be safe with it as it does mean badly dressed woman) but agian it's Québec slang, but I don't know how many people actually know the difference between Québec and France slang unless they have studied it.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    OMP!

I remember that episode. That's creepy!

Mmm, we use blonde too, but there's also a variation where we'll use a region - like Essex - to imply a certain dubious morality. Blonde tends to be more about being a bit dim. I wondered if there was a region.

Guidoune sounds good - thank you.

~Carole~ (who is actually blonde ish )
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Vous parlez français? Slytherin
    Filch is a Squib!
    Une Guidoune is a badly dressed woman, but it can also be taken as prostitute, (just warning you, but it does mean badly dressed woman, some people just take it as prostitute, but unless someone from Québec is reading it, you'll be safe with it as it does mean badly dressed woman) but agian it's Québec slang, but I don't know how many people actually know the difference between Québec and France slang unless they have studied it.
    Oh, if you really want to go down the road of the Québec slang, there are a lot of terms you can use... I like "guédaille" a lot, but that's probably just me! Or "greluche" too, which I''ve heard a lot about women who are both stupid and badly dressed (well not necessarily badly dressed, but mostly overdressed, who's trying too hard to impress, with too much make-up on, etc.). Just saying!

(and btw, I'm blonde ish too! So I've heard a lot of jokes about my hair color...)

Banner by bittersweet_lullaby! Let's go back in time!

howcow97
    "Peux-je aller aux toilettes?" is the inversion. Anything with "est-ce que" is going to be formal. As for the occasional swear word, I don't know any real ones, but "zut" means darn.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck

French Translation and Customs

What is the French translation for this sentence?: "I speak French fluently."

Other than 'Grand Mère, what's a pet name for grandmother? Does 'Mémé' work or is that just French-Canadian? (I like that one.)

Are there any wedding customs that are primarily French? What are they?

Also, and this is slightly off topic, but would wizards (or non-magical people like Muggles or others in the community) have passports in reguards to identification purposes?

*Please hand me the actual translation and not a generator.

Third Year Slytherin
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    About the translation, it would be: 'Je parle le Français couramment'. And no, no translators

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuri
    What is the French translation for this sentence?: "I speak French fluently."

Other than 'Grand Mère, what's a pet name for grandmother? Does 'Mémé' work or is that just French-Canadian? (I like that one.)

Are there any wedding customs that are primarily French? What are they?
    "I speak French fluently" would be, "Je parle français couramment."

I'm fairly sure Mémé is used in France as well as in Canada.

And I have no idea on the wedding customs, sorry.
    Eliza

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    Hello! I did french GCSE but remember embarrassingly little. So how do you say "Can't you remember me" or something like that in french? I vaguely remember there's a colloquial expression for this but I might be wrong.

Thank you for any help!
    Banner by Minna.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    I personally would say something like "Vous me ne souvenez pas?" or "Est-ce que vous me souvenez?" or "Ne vous souvenez de moi" or "Vous ne me souviens?".
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    *blows dust off the thread*

My French-speaking friends, I come here today because I need help coming up with a French-rooted name for a potion.

Let me explain...

It sprung up out of a debate between zombies and inferni, taking into account the actual aspects of Voodoo, but more urban legends. An idea was hatch that the wizarding world could have 'zombies', but instead of being dead bodies reanimated (silly Muggles), they are instead a live person under the influence of this potion, resulting in rigid movements, abnormal strength and speed, and high suggestability.

But to the point, I need a name for this potion, and I'd like it to be based in French, so any suggestions anyone would have would be great.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!