Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: FRENCH Language Help

bling_baby
    Hey, people!

Is there anyone who read the Harry Potter books in French who would know what they have as 'Muggle'. I know that they even have different words for spells sometimes, so I wondered if that would be different too. I would really appreciate the help!

Kathleen x

A.H.
    There's an article on the different translations here. Here's what it says about the French translation:

There is one exception. The French version of Harry Potter uses moldu. This happened because when the first book was being translated, no one yet exercised any control over the terms related to magic and Harry Potter’s world. So the French translators created many new words to capture and convey Rowling’s English. Once the books became wildly popular, strict control was placed up all translations, so muggle is muggle around the world. Except in France, since moldu and other terms were already established.
    Hope that helps!

/Ari

mahogany_wand
    So, I'm writing a fic where a french guy shows up, and a bunch of overly-dramatic girls start talking about French misconceptions, which he shakes off. What are some things that people think of French people that really isn't true?

~M_W

A.H.
    *has come with another link since she doesn't really know the French culture*

A google of "French stereotypes" brought me this. Seems neither side thinks too highly of the other. >.>

Hope that helps (and that someone might come along with better help )

/Ari

TheCursedQuill
    People usually think that the French surrender to EVERYTHING. I come from a french background (though I have no french culture and no idea how to speak the language) and people always make fun of me saying that I could never win anything because I'd back out before the result. So I'd say that one is the most known misconception of the french. =)

I just thought of something else. Some people believe that the French take no effort whatsoever to learn English and they are snobby people who down on others. I recently just came back from Paris and people are NOT like this. Every one I met was very nice and mostly all spoke English. This was in Paris though, so the people there probably would know loads more english than others as it's a tourist site.

Writing that just made me realise that even in Harry Potter, Fleur is kind of portrayed as a snuck-up french person. But this could be becuase she's part Veela too, so this is probably irrelevant...

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Rescued by Gred and Forge...er, Fred and George
    I have Madame Maxime appearing in one of my fics, and I want her to sound as authentic as possible. She uses the odd French phrase in her speech, so I wanted to capture that in my story too... The only problem being that I speak next to no French. (All I know is.. Oui and, um, nothing else for sure, really)

So here is the part of my fic where Madame Maxime appears-- I want to know where it's possible to add a sentence in French, and what that would be.

We are now heading for the rooms where the heads of Durmstrang and Beauxbatons are staying. Reaching the door, Lucy knocks. “Come in!” says a woman in a thick French accent.

“And 'oo may you be?” asks a large, tall woman. “If you are ze person 'oo comes with ze coffee, I do not want any.”

“Oh, no,” says Lucy. “I'm a reporter from the Daily Prophet, and I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions-- you <i>are</i> the headmistress of Beauxbatons, aren't you?”

“Yes, I am indeed! What do you 'ave to ask, reporter?”

“What do you think of the selection of the champions?”

“Ze champions? Mignon is a wonderful girl, I 'ave no problems with 'er.”

The parchment was once again on a table, along with the inkpot. “Are you satisfied with the fact that Hogwarts was once again chosen to host the Triwizard Tournament?”

“Zat is an absurd question! Of course I am satisfied! Oh, 'ogwarts is like a second 'ome to me. Pumpkin juice?” The woman pours out pumpkin juice into a glass.

“Oh, no, thank you! Do you know where I can find the head of Durmstra- oh, Tim, what have you done?” What I have done is exactly what I have been plotting to do all this time... Knocking over the ink bottle. “Tim, all my notes! What are you trying to do by being so naughty?”

“Is zere a problem?” asks the head of Beauxbatons.
    Thank you!

banner by my mystery banner maker! :O

Profile on the Archives

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    Well, you could write "Entré!" instead of "Come in", and "Qui, c'est moi" instead of "Yes, I am indeed". Also, an adjective in French in an English sentence would sound good, too, like "Mignon is a formidable girl". Another idea is to substitue "Of course I am satisfied" with "Bien sûr I am satisfied".

Hope that helps.

PS: The Daily Prophet needs to be italicised.
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

cirelondiel
    *cough* The imperative would be "entrez", not "entré"

-- Chelsea

Bine: Meep! <.< That happens when you don't speak or read or listen to French for almost three years. Thanks, Chels.

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Rescued by Gred and Forge...er, Fred and George
    Thanks for the help, Bine and Chels! I've used it in the story...

BB

banner by my mystery banner maker! :O

Profile on the Archives

Inverarity
    I am creating a magical version of the Institut de France. I want the society to be called "The European Wizarding Institute." (Unlike the Institut de France, it's not solely a French institution, but French is the primary language.)

Google Translator gives me L'Institut Européen de Sorciers, but I know not to trust Google Translator too much...

Would the correct name for "Academy of Magic" be Académie de Magie?

Merci!