Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: FRENCH Language Help

Tinn Tam
    Quote Originally Posted by HPobsession
    I was taught, "Je peux aller a WC" with an accent grave over the a.
    Err... I'm French, and I don't know who taught you that, but personally I've never heard "Je peux aller à WC?". It's not quite correct, it would be considered as "beauf", as we say (and it's not a compliment, it's more like... like Dudley talking).

The best translation would be: "Je peux aller aux toilettes?" It would be the most common and most logical translation.

Scarlet Crystal
    Personally, I find nothing wrong with being formal/polite. Gabrielle has a lot of respect for her sister, so it would make sense. I'd go with "Je peux aller aux toilettes?" as stated above.

TheEvilBroomstick
    Quote Originally Posted by littleWoNdErFuL
    “Est-ce que je peux aller à la toilette?” For, "Can I go to the bathroom?"
    “Oui, d'accord. Vas-tu,” For "Yes, all right. Go." (I added the "d'accord" because in my
    "Peux-je aller aux toilettes?" could work for the first one. Personally I don't think it's too formal

As for the second one, "d'accord" doesn't quite fit in my perspective, but the "Vas-tu" seems perfect.

Vorona
    About going to the bathroom. It seems, since they're siblings, that Gabrielle would just say she was going to the bathroom, unless she didn't know where it was. In that case, she'd probably ask where they were... unless, of course, they weren't working or the bathroom was in some way inaccessible due to cleaning or repair or ...

The thing is, when I was in France, I almost never asked this question, and the last time I remember asking was in grade school. Instead, I would say things like, "I have to go to the bathroom", or simply, "I'm going to the bathroom now." If you want to keep "Can I go to the bathroom", you'd either use:

Puis-je aller aux toilettes?
    Or
    Est-ce que je peux aller aux toilettes?

WC means "water closet" and the French use that expression about as often as we do. Stick with "toilettes".

To say "I need to go to the bathroom", you would say:

Je dois aller aux toilettes.

For, "I'm going to the bathroom":

Je vais aux toilettes.

The best way for Fleur to say "Go ahead" is definitely: Vas-y.

LexiGirl
    I don't speak any French and I checked an online translator but I got so many results I don't know which to use. I just need something like 'but mum' and then 'don't argue'. Thanks,

Tinn Tam
    Quote Originally Posted by LexiGirl
    I don't speak any French and I checked an online translator but I got so many results I don't know which to use. I just need something like 'but mum' and then 'don't argue'. Thanks,
    That would be:

"Mais Maman..."

"Ne discute pas!"

PS: if I start writing everything I think about online translators, it would fill several pages of non-too-polite criticism. Please, please don't trust online translators! Most of the times the translation they give makes me laugh aloud -- or cry. Depends on my mood.

nysuperstarz
    How would you say "Mother this is my fiance Bill" (ive been taking french for the last two years but it doesnt seem t have gotton thruogh to me.

little_kitty
    Quote Originally Posted by nysuperstarz
    How would you say "Mother this is my fiance Bill" (ive been taking french for the last two years but it doesnt seem t have gotton thruogh to me.
    I think it would work if you said this: "Maman, voici mon fiancé Bill."

--Little Kitty

MithrilQuill
    Ok, so I just got back from my summer vacation and I need to ask about this little poem that came into my head randomely one-day...it's probably going to go into a fanfic I'm working on, but even though I've taken loads of French in school I'm not going to trust myself when it comes to poetry or grammar...

hem...yeah, the poem...

On Cherche la vérité
    Dans l’effrayante réalité

Et quand je tombe au-dessous
    Pense: Qui est moi? Marcherai ou?

Be harsh...pretty please with a cherry on top...

does it even make any sense?

EDIT: Ooooh, thanks Tinn Tam ... I'll go send you a PM right away!

Tinn Tam
    On Cherche la vérité
    Dans l’effrayante réalité

Et quand je tombe au-dessous
    Pense: Qui est moi? Marcherai ou?
    The first two verses are fine, but the other two are... well... difficult to understand. What do you mean by "Quand je tombe au-dessous"?

About the last verse: it doesn't make much sense in French (you can see it's literally translated from English). If you meant: "I'm thinking: Who am I? Where will I walk?" (is that it?), you should say:

Je pense: Qui suis-je? Où marcherai-je?

I know, it ruins the rhyme. Sorry!

Otherwise, I don't have much to say... You don't have the same number of syllabes in all your verses, but that can be called an "artistic choice" .

Can you send me whatever you meant to say in English? Maybe I'll be able to be more helpful...

Congrats for writing poetry in French, I'm very impressed!!