Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FRENCH Language Help

Hybrid View

ElectronicQuillster

FRENCH Language Help

A NOTE TO THOSE WHO WANT WORDS TRANSLATED:

I'm not gonna lie to you: online translators should not be held as the iron-clad rules when it comes to translating.

Remember that you might need to give a bit of background in order for someone to give you the best possible translation. (For example, verbs can change drastically when conjugated into different tenses. Also, many adjectives have masculine and feminine forms. If you give a translator a bit of context, he or she might tell you that a slang word would work best.)

Example:
    I need to know how to say, "Please get over here immediately." This is Harry talking to Ron through the Floo.
    A NOTE TO TRANSLATORS:

Anyone can use Google to find an online translator. There's nothing wrong with using these Internet tools, but translators should have at least a little knowledge of the language. (You don't have to be a native speaker, by any means.)

Please note: if you're not 100% comfortable with your translating skills, please state that.

sirius_rocks

Insults

If someone could translate or give me some insults in French, like go away, I hate you, and maybe the occasional swear word, it'd be great!

Thanks for your time!

ElectronicQuillster
    The posts that have been deleted here should be dealt with via pm if you feel you need that kind of language. We're a family friendly forum, and we don't have a rating system for this branch of our site, so we need to keep it clean.

sirius_rocks
    that would kind of be my fault, sorry... Maybe just go away will do... maybe...

Vous parlez français? Slytherin
    Filch is a Squib!
    Go away is "Va t'en" or "Laisse-moi tranquille", if you want the person to leave you alone. I hate you is "Je te déteste" or "Je te hais". "Je ne t'aime pas" is I don't like you, which can goes with I hate you. It can also fit, but it depends on the context.

Banner by bittersweet_lullaby! Let's go back in time!

littleWoNdErFuL
    Would this be the correct way of asking to go to the bathroom, if Gabrielle was asking Fleur?

“Est-ce que je peux aller à la toilette?” For, "Can I go to the bathroom?"
    “Oui, d'accord. Vas-tu,” For "Yes, all right. Go." (I added the "d'accord" because in my French book they're always tacking on a "d'accord" at the end of "oui" so I thought it would be okay to.)

I think it might be too proper asking it this way, but I tried inverting the verb and it didn't sound quite right. Also, for the "Vas-tu", is that correct? Or would Fleur just reply with "Aller"? I can't remember if it should be conjugated or left as an infinitive.

I really should know this...*will fail her French final* Thanks for the help, though!

howcow97
    "Peux-je aller aux toilettes?" is the inversion. Anything with "est-ce que" is going to be formal. As for the occasional swear word, I don't know any real ones, but "zut" means darn.

Pheonix song
    How do you say "hope" in french, or maybe "Hopes light?"

Please help the crazy American that speaks no french. . .

Tinn Tam
    How do you say "hope" in french, or maybe "Hopes light?"

Please help the crazy American that speaks no french. . .
    "Hope": espoir, or espérance (espoir is more commonly used, but sometimes because of "sonority issues", we use espérance; it depends on the context).

"Hopes light": Err... "Espoir" in plural ("Hopes") is simply "espoirs", with a final "s". "Light" = lumière. If you mean "Hope's light" or something of the sort... La lumière de l'espoir.

Could you give me the context? Then I may be able to give you better help.

Vous parlez français? Slytherin
    Filch is a Squib!
    Hope is "espoir" in French. For your hopes light, I'm not quite sure though... Maybe "la lumière de l'espoir", but that sounds weird to me when I try to translate it. Somebody else has an idea?

Edit: Now that's weird. I thought I had answered before Tinn Tam on this one... My post was right after Phoenix song when I checked last time... Crazy things are going on on these forums...

Banner by bittersweet_lullaby! Let's go back in time!