Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator Part X

Third Year Gryffindor
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    This happened in the Bannermakers Forum and I am not sure whether it holds true for all the forums or not.

I just made a rather lengthy post and when I clicked the submit button, the post came out blank! It has been automatically erasing itself for some reason.

Can this be fixed? It is a recurrent problem.

Thanks ,
    Wendelin
    Banner by the wonderful Minnabird
    Author Page ~ Banner thread ~
    PI Accredition

Ultimate Cosmic Power Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Aunt Marge Makes A Better Blimpe...
    Wendelin,
    If a post is too long it will erase itself. There is nothing we can do about this other than advise you to make shorter posts

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?

Just to add to Beth's answer about editing in the queue.

Please, try not to edit once your story is in the queue. Each time you edit extra line breaks are added. If you edit multiple times your story will have huge breaks between paragraphs and consequently may get rejected. It is far better to make sure your story is in tip top condition before submission. If you absolutely must edit, it's better to edit your chapter on a word processor application, delete it from the queue and then resubmit. This may make for a longer validation process for you, but your story will look much better.
    Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

Alexander Pope

Third Year Gryffindor
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    What I meant by long was not story length, but the time it took to type it out. : (

It had three paragraphs of text, (approximately three to five lines per paragraph) and two banners. That's not too much, is it?
    Banner by the wonderful Minnabird
    Author Page ~ Banner thread ~
    PI Accredition

Ultimate Cosmic Power Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Aunt Marge Makes A Better Blimpe...
    No, I don't think it would be too much. I don't know then Wendelin, sorry. If it happens again, send me a PM and we'll try and investigate for you.

Snape's Talon
    George Carlin once stated there were seven dirty words not allowed on TV. While I won’t type out his list here, I wonder has an official list has ever been created of what words are not acceptable in fanfic submissions and the circumstance under which some might?

The Help essay on MNFF regarding Professors vs NC-17 states:

Although profanity is allowed in "Professor" fictions, stories will be rejected if f-bombs (and s-bombs, and other vulgarities) are dropped constantly throughout the story.

NC-17 fictions will not be posted on MuggleNet Fan Fiction. NC-17 fictions characteristically include extremely graphic violence, large amounts of profanity, and graphic sexuality.
    This would seem to indicate that so long as the story was properly rated and had the appropriate warnings attached, the occasional “f-bomb” would be acceptable. The essay goes on to compare graphic sexuality to movie ratings. How close would this apply to profanity, though? Many R-rated movies contain quite a bit of foul language.

Circumstances, I imagine, would also play a role. It might be perfectly acceptable to write “he’s such a pain in the a**”. Yet if the scene were sexual in nature, that word might be deemed overly graphic and cause the chapter to be rejected faster than Mad Eye Moody can say “Constant Vigilance!”

Obviously, I don’t expect a Mod to list out all the unacceptable words on an open post in a family-oriented forum. However, my story is in General Fiction and that means I can never tell which Mod will validate a chapter. The chapter I am working on includes torture at the hands of Death Eaters. So if a Mod who typically wanders the Gen Fic category (or even the D/A realm) could kindly PM me to discuss the particulars - or several Mods, I don’t mind hearing more than one opinion – then I would be grateful.

songbook99
    Snape's Talon, there is a partial list that is kept for moderators to see if they come across a story and feel the need to check. That information is sent out to the authors on an individual basis when the issue comes up. The same holds true for the use, or overuse, of profanity. It is all on an individual basis and the circumstances when certain words are used is considered.

Snape's Talon
    Many thanks for the response, Karin. Can one the Mods please send me the list?

tank21
    If you edit your story while in the queue is it sent to the back of the queue or does it stay in the same spot? Also does anyone know how long the queue is taking these days? Thanks for answering.

cia639
    Hi, I'm new around here, and last night I trid to submit the first chapter of my fan fiction that I was writing, but when I logged in today to check to see if progress had been made, I realized I had no idea how t otell. So this somewhat funny revelation led me to wonder how exactly you know if it's in the queue or not. I checked the "manage stories" page, but nothing was showign up there. If anyone can help I'd be very thankful.