Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator Part X

deanine

Ask a Moderator Part X

Please view our Frequently Asked Questions before posting your questions here, and also make sure your question has not already been asked. (These threads are searchable!)

[The more people ask the same question, the more pages there are, which cause more people to not take the time to read it, causing them to post the same question and the vicious cycle continues]

Please, allow MODERATORS ONLY to answer the questions in this thread.

bella_mia
    Hey, I actually have a couple of questions, so I hope that's alright.

1) I've been having some trouble getting my chapters accepted for the fanfiction section. Recently, everytime I have turned one in, it has been rejected because of formatting issues; specifically, the paragraphs aren't double spaced.

The thing is, I have always double spaced my work and when I turn in my chapters, I've taken special care to go through the story multiple times to make sure it's double spaced. However, my chapters are still getting rejected. Can you help me out? Am I missing something?

2) Also, why is it some people have chapters that aren't double spaced that are accepted? Are some of the mods just more picky than others or are the writers just slipping under the radar?

and 3) I know you can't submit more than one chapter for the same story at the same time, but can you have a chapter for one story in queue and another chapter for a totally seperate story in queue as well?

Thanks so much for everything!

SK witch
    Hello!

Im really trying not to sound pushy or impatient, but my chapter has been in queue for over a week and I was informed that there could've been a glitch and that you'd have to add it manually. See I got a message on sunday saying that the chapter I posted was approved and validated, but when i checked, it was still in queue. Could someone please tell me what's wrong and what you can do about it?? Thanks

Vorona
    I did a search and I found this question in the Sequel thread, but I never found an answer:

Is there a place to get feedback on summaries? Is it just part of Excerpts of Murtlap now or is that specific to actual story text? If the latter, is there another place where it would be appropriate to ask for summary help?

Thanks!

Vindictus Viridian
    Quote Originally Posted by bella_mia
    1) I've been having some trouble getting my chapters accepted for the fanfiction section. Recently, everytime I have turned one in, it has been rejected because of formatting issues; specifically, the paragraphs aren't double spaced.

The thing is, I have always double spaced my work and when I turn in my chapters, I've taken special care to go through the story multiple times to make sure it's double spaced. However, my chapters are still getting rejected. Can you help me out? Am I missing something?

2) Also, why is it some people have chapters that aren't double spaced that are accepted? Are some of the mods just more picky than others or are the writers just slipping under the radar?
    Double-spacing will not carry and isn't on any of the stories in the archives. What you need is a double RETURN after every paragraph, because indents also will not carry from your word processing program to the archive. The only way to have nice readable chunks of text is the double return. The only formatting that the archive recognizes is what is done with the html codes provided in the Help section and the submission pages, by the way, so you might also be losing your italics and things.

and 3) I know you can't submit more than one chapter for the same story at the same time, but can you have a chapter for one story in queue and another chapter for a totally seperate story in queue as well?[/QUOTE]

Yes, as long as they are also in separate categories. I'm pretty sure that's been answered somewhere before, but as it seems to be missing from a lot of people's radar, here it is again. Maximum two chapters of two different stories. Originally it was so that a WIP would not be interrupted by the author also entering a Forum Challenge.

SK witch, I'm sorry you've gotten trapped in that particular system glitch. Checking the admin-help request, that should have gone through now, but only a few people have the power to fix that hangup. Every now and then, someone uses a Permanent Sticking Charm on a story in the queue.

Vorona, I'd think Murtlap could handle a summary and probably should more often, but will poke the forum mod to make sure.

6. 05-11-2007, 06:13 PM

bella_mia
    Thanks so much for the response and the help. My only thing is that when I mentioned double spacing, I realize now that I miscommunicated. Like you mentioned, I have been double returning my work in between paragraphs as well as dialogue, not double spacing. However, my work is still getting rejected. Do you think you can help me out?

Sorry if I was confusing earlier, and thanks again for all the help!

dory_the_fishie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorona
    Is there a place to get feedback on summaries? Is it just part of Excerpts of Murtlap now or is that specific to actual story text? If the latter, is there another place where it would be appropriate to ask for summary help?
    If you'd like to post a summary for feedback, that's fine. Just post it in your thread like you would any other excerpt, and make sure you point out that it's a summary so people don't get confused.

For anybody that wants to comment on and help with summaries, remember that it might have more to do with general opinions than actual grammar (although please point out the grammar, too ).

Also, everyone please note that only summaries themselves can be posted in Excerpts of Murtlap. Help with your general plot needs to be sought in the Skele-Gro Plot Potion forum.

songbook99
    bella_mia, you should probably contact the moderator who has rejected your chapter. Without knowing the exact reasons, it is hard for any of the rest of us to give you advice on how to fix the formatting except for you to go the Help section on the main MNFF site and click on the Formatting Submissions area.

Ron x Hermione
    For some odd reason, the page where my pm box is is a bit messed up, and it is so stretched that I can't see the little boxes to check to delete them or make them unread. I tried reloading the page, but it doesn't help it. I am up to 48 messages, and if I can't delete them . . . Is there something wrong?

~Lindsey :_

hpluver365
    I'm having the same problem as Lindsey. The only way to delete them now is by going through and deleting each one by opening it and pressing delete, which takes absoloutely forever. Do you guys have a way to fix this?