Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mad March 100 Word Drabble Challenge ~ Day 1

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare

The Mad March 100 Word Drabble Challenge ~ Day 1

Welcome to the Mad March Drabble Challenge.

+Each day your barmaid will set a prompt, and you will use said prompt to write a drabble of one hundred words – no more/no less. (I will check this).
    +Each prompt will stay open for 24 hours.
    +There will be fourteen prompts, ending on Wednesday 20th March (unless I miss a day).
    +If by any chance I don’t close at the correct time, then you may still enter that day’s prompt.
    +You may only enter one drabble per day.
    +You do not have to enter every day.
    +The best drabble will be deemed Mad Drabble du Jour and will gain additional points. If, however, I do not feel any of the drabbles followed the prompt or were not glorious enough, then I won’t award that day.
    + All the usual MNFF submission guidelines must be followed.
    + Keep all drabbles at 3rd-5th rating – or below. If you are in any doubt about this then PM me. (Equinox Chick)
    + Points will not be awarded if your drabbles do not follow the rules.
    + Ask questions here

2 points per entry
    5 additional points if your drabble is awarded Mad Drabble Du Jour.
    5 extra points if you write a drabble for every prompt, providing that it meets the criteria.

There may also be points if the barmaids feel one person has risen beyond what is easy, and looked to do what is right, and brave, and good, and mad and ... Remember Cedric. Remember Cedric Diggory...

Word Count

I paste everything into MSW. If there is a discrepancy, then I hand count. My MSW counts hyphenated words and contractions as one. I will always give you the benefit of the doubt because I can be quite nice and fluffy.

Use this form for your drabble and post today's drabbles in this thread.

PHP Code:
    [B]Name:[/B]
    [
    B]House:[/B]
    [
    B]Title:[/B]
    [
    B]Rating/Warning:[/B]
    [
    B]A/N:[/B

Day 1 – Prompt

‘Nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak.’

You may use these words in your drabble. They will not count towards your word total.

This thread will stay open for twenty-four hours. I will close at 8.30 AM GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). I am not your time-zone converter, so pay attention to the time stamp at the top of this post.

Cappiche!
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Queen of Foals Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    He sent his own Son to the Dementors?
    Name: Jules du Jour
    House: Ssssslytherin
    Title: Hogwartian Wood
    Rating/Warning: 1st-2nd years; no warnings
    A/N:

Dean isn’t coming back to Hogwarts. It’s a strange thought—he’s not sure he quite believes it yet.

This is his last last day—in the tower, in this dormitory. This is the last time he will pack up his trunk and the last time he will carve a picture into the skirting board behind his bed. He does it every year but this is the last.

It finally hits him when he looks back at the other images he’s carved over the years. There’s no picture for 1997, only words. It’s fitting, he thinks, for the last last time.

Nitwit. Blubber. Oddment. Tweak.

Banner by me. Icon from toreadabook on lj.

Fifth Year Slytherin
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Name: Georgia
    House: Hissssss
    Title: Her favorite words
    Rating/Warning: 1st and 2nd, no warnings
    A/N:

She liked to say nonsense words to him, as they walked in the garden. It was only her innocence that kept him from getting annoyed at her. She had never talked to other children her age. Albus greatest wish had been for her to be a normal child. To go to Hogwarts, grow up and make friends. This would never happen. She was too bottled up inside. That was what anger did to her. It hurt Albus to see her this way, talking nonsense and playing other childlike games. She wasn’t little anymore, and Albus babied her, innocence her shield.
    Georgia Duels!Georgia Drabbles!Georgia writes poetry!

completely Squeeable banner by Poojah. Isn't it amazing? Avvie by the amazing Julia/the opaleye

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Snape Hates Me
    Name: Sophie
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: The Magic of Words
    Rating/Warning: 1st-2nd years/none
    A/N: I got the idea for the Milligan comparison while reading the comments on an article about Dumbledore's original line. In my head, he's now Justin's favourite poet.

Lying in his new bed, Justin made a decision: Spike Milligan would like Professor Dumbledore. He had to. After that opening speech, those four words, it couldn't be any other way.

“Nitwit. Blubber. Oddment. Tweak.”

They were real words, Justin knew that. It wasn't like the headmaster had started talking about the Ning Nang Nong. Somehow, though, their unexpectedness, coming from that wise old wizard, made Justin feel at home. They sounded like they could have come from the mouth of the strange poet his father so liked. They were magic, but a magic far more familiar than the wand on his bedside table.
    Avvie by majestic_ginny/Nadia. Banner by clabbert2102/Bella. Thank you both!

I write, I drabble, duel, beta and draw,
    I am a Hufflepuff to the core!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Name: Kara
    House: Gryffindor
    Title: Little Girl
    Rating/Warning: 1st/2nd
    A/N: This isn't Albus' POV, I hope that's clear :x

They had hurt his little girl.

More than that, they now had the audacity, the amorality, the cruelty to come, to point and laugh and call her names.

Nitwit.

No wit. No brain. No future.

Blubber.

She made no sense when she talked. Of course she didn’t. She was caught in her own mind. How could anyone understand?

Oddment.

No future. No chance at normalcy. Because of a handful of bumbling young thugs.

Tweak.

As if it would be so easy to readjust her, to get her back into their world.

Aberforth could spin the words around, make her laugh at them. He couldn’t.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Clone Club Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Ultimate Chess
    Name: Lilify
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: Slightly to the Left
    Rating/Warning: 1st-2nd / none
    A/N: This is bad, but pooooooooints

Nitwit

They called Luna Lovegood mad until she taught them that it didn’t matter if you were a little off. After all, she still had the guts to save a life, unlike the real nitwits.

Oddment

That didn’t mean that Luna didn’t care. She, easily light and carefree, hated hearing the words odd or strange or most commonly, loony.

Blubber

They liked to tell her that she blubbered on and on about careless things but they spent more time telling her this than she did telling them about the Nargles in their hair.

Tweak

Luna reminded herself of Dumbledore, tweaked slightly to the left.
    Lily Writes ♥ alisonhendrxes blogs ♥ @lilysinsistence tweets

banner by theopaleye | avi by me

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    You Need Some Driving Lessons, Ron
    Name: WeasleyMom
    House: Huffly Puffly
    Title: Nonsense
    Rating/Warning: 3-5th
    A/N: Ron/Lav... didn't know I had it in me. Also, I've got some hyphens in here, but the word count was 100 in Word. Hope it's okay.

Ron scratched the back of his head and tried to focus on what his girlfriend was saying.

They were supposed to be reviewing, but unfortunately, Lavender was as interested in homework as Ron was: not at all. Instead, she discussed who-was-dating-who and the benefits of charmed nail polish while Ron blinked wildly, trying to concentrate.

Lavender was pretty and fun—always good for a laugh. But when she talked about the latest hairstyles in Witch Weekly, Ron’s eyes glazed over. None of it made any sense to him.

Chapped lips aside, he considered snogging her just to shut her up.
    Lovely banner by Minna

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Name: Jess
    House: Ravenclaw
    Title: The Nitwit, the Hero
    Rating/Warning: 1st/2nd Years – None
    A/N: Apologies for the shoddiness. I really have no better ideas.

The nitwit, his uncle had called him. Stupid Neville, the blubber-arsed idiot that someone always had to mind. The stray little oddment who took up more space than he was worth. Neville knew how they talked about him, and when he left for Hogwarts, it was all supposed to change.

But it didn’t. All he wanted was to be in Hufflepuff, the house of duffers, as Hagrid called them — duffers like him.

Neville chuckled to himself as he tweaked the sword on his mantle, which was in his keeping until it was called upon again. The nitwit was gone, and he was a hero.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Seeking Keys
    Name: Oregonian
    House: Slytherin
    Title: New Names
    Rating/Warning: 1st-2nd years; no warnings
    A/N: Just discovered this challenge a few minutes before the deadline!

On Ernie's first morning at Hogwarts, an owl arrived at the breakfast table bearing a note from his mum:

"Patsy had her puppies last night, two males and two females. I hope we can find good homes for them. I'm afraid they will be short-legged and piebald. Who knows what the father looked like? But they're cute anyway, and Patsy is a good mother. We'll send photographs."

Ernie wrote quickly on the bottom of the note with a quill. "We should name them something our headmaster said last night: Nitwit, Blubber, Oddment, and Tweak." Smiling happily, he sent the owl back to his mum.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    CLOSED!!!!

Now follow me

to

Day 2
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird