Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Badgers beat their way to first place

Just Tink

Badgers beat their way to first place

Welcome, 'Puffs! This is our thread for May's QWC, and hopefully it will be a productive one. To start us off...

what do you guys think about the prompt? Any ideas about how we should go about this? I'll tell you my own after we've heard all of you.

And on a more serious note: If at any point you realize you don't have the commitment to do this, PLEASE don't hesitate to inform me immediately- we need to know right away.

Thanks, guys! Badgers for the cup!

whomovedmyquil
    Hey badgers!

*Ashley likes the prompt*

I was perusing the lexicon for info on pre-modern day Quidditch and found some interesting stuff:

In the 1000's Gertie Keddle, who live at the edge of Queerditch Marsh watches an early form of a Quidditch game. According to the diary entry, she found the entire thing rather stupid. (for a more complete over-view go to the Lexicon. I'd copy and paste but 'tis copy-righted.)

Perhaps we could set the story from Gertie's P.O.V (what she thinks about the game, etc.) or from one of the team mates who interacts with Gertie quite often (he could fancy her, loathe her, thinks she's a moron, worship the ground she walks on, whatever). Just kind of a story about how they're brought together through the game.

OR

Because the game was probably named for the marsh we could do it from (for lack of a better phrase) the marshs' POV. How the game has changed since (or before) Gertie's diary entry. we could start there and end with a bit from a modern Quidditch game played where the marsh is. (I don't know if that's allowed, considering the prompt im medieval Quidditch, so we'll have to talk to the refs.)

Another one I found amusing was, apparently in 1107, Guthrie Lochrin of Scotland wrote about "splinter-filled buttocks and bulging piles." The story could center around his Quidditch expeirence (this might be a good humour topic).

And one more:

Because the prompt focuses heavily on snidgets (which seem SO cute!) Wd could the story from a snidget's POV. We could start when the Snidget was captured (or born, or even the dawn of time, if you like) to be used in the game. He could just be sitting in a huge cage with other lil' Snidgets, waiting to be used) and end with the chopping block at the end of the game.

OR

We could center the fic around Madam Modesty Rabnott and/or the Snidget she caught in protest.

/0.02

Ash

Colores
    In the 1000's Gertie Keddle, who live at the edge of Queerditch Marsh watches an early form of a Quidditch game. According to the diary entry, she found the entire thing rather stupid. (for a more complete over-view go to the Lexicon. I'd copy and paste but 'tis copy-righted.)

Perhaps we could set the story from Gertie's P.O.V (what she thinks about the game, etc.) or from one of the team mates who interacts with Gertie quite often (he could fancy her, loathe her, thinks she's a moron, worship the ground she walks on, whatever). Just kind of a story about how they're brought together through the game.
    This was my favorite idea from your list. I read the passage in QTA, and Gertie specifically singles out a player that she detests, although not by name. Perhaps this could be a player with whom she interacts. Gertie's diary also describes a large leather ball landing in her cabbages (it seems to be a Quaffle), so maybe we could describe that game? Perhaps the game ended after the players lost their ball, or something like that.

-Fresca

Just Tink
    I know I said I'd wait, but what can I say? I'm a bossy busybody. =)

I love all your ideas, Ashley, especially from the Snidget's POV. (I once had a character who named her daughter Snidget, so I'm rather attached to the name itself.) Besides that, I have to agree with Fresca- I think the idea of telling it from the character she loathes is a really good idea.

The only reason I can think of for possibly avoiding Gertie is that, as the first Quidditch game, the others teams might use her as well. Just a thought.

Colores
    Oh, oh! I just saw the picture of the Snidget in QTA and it is *so* adorable! Perhaps we could tell a game from the POV of the Snidget, and maybe, in order to sort of combine ideas, we could take ideas for a game from Gertie's diary. I do agree with Just Tink: a lot of teams might think of that. Snidgets are very original, which definitely has some appeal.

-Fresca

whomovedmyquil
    *two more of Ashley's cents:*

I really like the way my humble Snidget idea is shaping up. I think it sounds like a humourous story with a darker side ('cause we all know he's gonna die, poor lil' Snidggy ).

AND I think it's cool that traditionally 'Puffs play in canary yellow and we might do a story about a canary like bird. So cute.

*end of Ashley's two cents*

Colores
    That would be adorably cute! The poor Snidget!!

I really like how this idea is shaping up! Is more brainstorming needed, or can we get writing? And if we can write, Ashley, would you like to do the honors of writing first, as it was your brilliant idea?

-Fresca

kentuck
    hi!!
    I love the idea about the Snidget, for I have written from magical creatures' POVs before, although we need to exercise caution because the whole piece could become very dark and depressing.

I think that if we want to do something lighter, we could write about the history of Elfrida Cragg, the Chief of the Wizard's Council who makes the Golden Snidget a protected species. We could go into the complex mind of a politian, who maybe was once a Quidditch player along the lines of Bagmann himself. Any thoughts?

Colores
    I think we'd be able to keep it lighthearted enough. The whole thing is kinda funny, isn't it? We could maybe give the Snidget a cute personality, an interesting character, for lack of better term, that's rather comical and light hearted. The piece itself seems to be already comical, given our main character...

Am I going in the wrong direction here? Was the point of the piece to be more dark and depressing?

whomovedmyquil
    *has never done this before*

I also liked the idea of doing something kind of light-herted and comical, but if we're doing something more dark and mysterious, we can work that into the Snidgert story (remeber that they die at the end).

If we're going the light-hearted direction, it could ust be about this funny little bird, happily zooming away when people try to catch him and having no idea he'll die at the end.

On the darker side, he could know he'll die and just be constantly thinking, "the longer I aviod them, the longer I live."

Anyway, in summary, the Snidget idea has a lot of potential and we can go two totally seperate ways, or a cross of the two.

OR IN KENTUCK'S DIRECTION:

Ooooh! I like yours too! it be really cool to get in her mind (I like psychological pieces), why did she campaign so hard to protect out Snidgets? Did a horrible Quidditch expeirence as a kid make her hate the game, or if she played Quidditch did something horrible happen during a game (like she hit a snidget with her beater's club and it died)? This could be lot's of fun.

How do we decide? :P

Ashley