Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Judging Sign-Ups

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower

Judging Sign-Ups

Judging in this year's QSQs will be done, as usual, by committees who hold confidential discussions and vote on the winners. In the past few years it has become harder to find enough members to fill the committees and it's difficult to keep track of exactly who is going to be available during the judging period. So, in an attempt to solve these problems, for the last two years we have asked people to express an interest in joining a committee in order to give us a pool of judges to choose from. The committee leaders will still have final say on appointing members and posting here does not guarantee that you will be selected. It will hopefully just make the organisation easier.

If you would like to sign up, please post below using the form. Please think before you sign up and make sure that you are totally happy with what judging requires. You will be expected to be available fairly frequently during the months of August and September (needing occasional weeks off is fine, but if you know you're only going to be around for a couple of days during this time, please don't sign up) and you must be prepared to read all the nominations in your category (we usually ask for around the first five chapters of chaptered stories). Please think about the types of stories you would be prepared to read (remember nominations can be any rating and contain any warnings) and avoid categories you would feel uncomfortable reading. You may not enjoy everything you read, but it is still important that you give a fair, balanced opinion. If you think you won't have as much time, then I would suggest asking for a smaller category.

The final thing to note is that we keep the entire judging process secret. This means that you may not reveal anywhere which category you are judging, or express any opinions on nominations outside the judging forums. This will be taken very seriously this year and I will be very unhappy if I find people discussing the judging outside their committee. If your committee does decide on a winner before the final deadline, it goes without saying that you shouldn't post the results anywhere. I also expect that once a decision has been made by a committee, all members of that committee will support it, even if it is not for a story they voted for.

I know it all sounds rather scary but being on a committee is not all bad - it's a great way to be involved in one of the most anticipated MNFF events of the year, and you may find yourself reading and enjoying stories you'd never have considered before. So long as you are clear about what is expected, and can set aside time for reading and writing brief opinions on stories, then it is not a huge commitment. And committees are vital in the running of the awards. The fewer judges we get, the fewer people who have a say in the final decision and the less representative the decision becomes.

Here is the form to use for sign-ups:

PHP Code:
    [B]Do you fully understand the rules and commitment required to be QSQ judge?[/B]
    [
    B]How many committees would you be prepared to sit on?[/B]
    [
    B]Are there any categories you are particularly keen to judge?[/B]
    [
    B]Are there any categories you would not be happy to judge?[/B]
    [
    B]Would you be prepared to lead a committee if necessary?[/B] (This means assigning committee members stories to readleading discussions and chasing people up to post their comments/votesYou must have participated in QSQ judging in a previous year to lead a committee)
    [
    B]Can you think of any potential problems/issues that would affect your ability to judge?[/B
    Feel free to add in any details you think are necessary.

Committees won't be appointed until nominations have closed to ensure no one is asked to be on a committee they've been nominated for. This thread will be open until the 23rd July.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Fifth Year Slytherin
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Do you fully understand the rules and commitment required to be QSQ judge? Yes, and if I get chosen for a committee, I will do my best to follow them
    How many committees would you be prepared to sit on? two
    Are there any categories you are particularly keen to judge? alternate universe and next generation
    Are there any categories you would not be happy to judge? best SSP and Dark/Angst
    Would you be prepared to lead a committee if necessary? probably not, but if necessary, I suppose. but please, no.
    Can you think of any potential problems/issues that would affect your ability to judge? I would not be allowed to read stories that have a rating above sixth years. that's why I chose the two categories that I did. they often aren't very high in rating.

Georgia
    Georgia Duels!Georgia Drabbles!Georgia writes poetry!

completely Squeeable banner by Poojah. Isn't it amazing? Avvie by the amazing Julia/the opaleye

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    The Giant Spider is Hagrid's... Friend?!?
    Do you fully understand the rules and commitment required to be QSQ judge? Yes.
    How many committees would you be prepared to sit on? Two to begin with but I can probably get pulled into cats if needed like last year.
    Are there any categories you are particularly keen to judge? AU was very interesting last year. Pretty much anything else would be fine for me too.
    Are there any categories you would not be happy to judge? OCs. Uhm, maybe Dark/Angst.
    Would you be prepared to lead a committee if necessary? I'm going to say no.
    Can you think of any potential problems/issues that would affect your ability to judge? I'll have school but I think I should be okay.
    Last edited by minnabird; 06-02-2013 at 03:28 AM.

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    McGonagall Doesn't Expel Brilliant Seekers
    How many committees would you be prepared to sit on? Two or three.
    Are there any categories you are particularly keen to judge? SSP, Next Gen, Marauder Era, Canon Romance, Non-Canon Romance, Dark/Angsty.
    Are there any categories you would not be happy to judge? Alternate Universe, Humour, Poetry.
    Would you be prepared to lead a committee if necessary? Yep!
    Can you think of any potential problems/issues that would affect your ability to judge? I should be fine. I might be moving house in that time, but I will have internet access and will definitely be able to read stories
    Last edited by babewithbrains; 06-04-2013 at 02:08 AM.

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

True American Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Seeking Keys
    Do you fully understand the rules and commitment required to be QSQ judge? Yes, completely
    How many committees would you be prepared to sit on? I would be willing to work on up to three, however, if I'll be leading any I'd prefer to have to sit on less
    Are there any categories you are particularly keen to judge? SSP, D/A, NCR, CR, Marauder
    Are there any categories you would not be happy to judge? Poetry, AU
    Would you be prepared to lead a committee if necessary? Yes, I'd be completely willing
    Can you think of any potential problems/issues that would affect your ability to judge? As far as I know, I'm good.
    Lily WritesLily BlogsLily Listens

banner by theopaleye | avi by me

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Bowing To Buckbeak
    How many committees would you be prepared to sit on? A maximum of two.
    Are there any categories you are particularly keen to judge? D/A, Poetry
    Are there any categories you would not be happy to judge? OC, AU, NG, Canon Romance, ME,--I guess everything else, not because I am not interested in the category. I just don't want to take on too much, and I would rather concentrate on either of the two categories mentioned above.
    Would you be prepared to lead a committee if necessary? Yep!!!!
    Can you think of any potential problems/issues that would affect your ability to judge? The usual - internet issues, real life responsibilities, etc. Aug to Oct, however, will be cleaner.
    ]

Banner by BELLA THE HELLA. <3

Queen of Foals Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Why do those two always disappear?
    Do you fully understand the rules and commitment required to be QSQ judge? Yes
    How many committees would you be prepared to sit on? Two
    Are there any categories you are particularly keen to judge? AU, Poetry, D/A
    Are there any categories you would not be happy to judge? I'm happy to go where I'm needed
    Would you be prepared to lead a committee if necessary? Yes
    Can you think of any potential problems/issues that would affect your ability to judge? No.

Lovely banner by Minna! Icon from toreadabook on lj.

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    How many committees would you be prepared to sit on? Preferably not more than 3, but you know me...always willing to dive in the foxhole if needed.
    Are there any categories you are particularly keen to judge? Doesn't matter, as most of the ones I enjoy I am nominated in anyway.
    Are there any categories you would not be happy to judge? Same as above.
    Would you be prepared to lead a committee if necessary? Of course.
    Can you think of any potential problems/issues that would affect your ability to judge? Not really.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Tveiter Tot Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Do you fully understand the rules and commitment required to be QSQ judge? yes
    How many committees would you be prepared to sit on? as many as needed, but keep in mind school
    Are there any categories you are particularly keen to judge? D/A, Next Gen, NCR, OC
    Are there any categories you would not be happy to judge? nope
    Would you be prepared to lead a committee if necessary? Not sure if this is a good idea, but if you really need it...
    Can you think of any potential problems/issues that would affect your ability to judge? School, required outback camping the last week of August for school.

(Sorry if there are typos - it's midnight and I'm on an iPad)
    *~iBeta~**~iWrite~* *~iPoet~* *~iDrabble~* *~iDuel~*
    Beautiful avvie by Nadia (magestic_ginny), and credit for the lovely banner goes to Pooja.

I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life.
    (Neil ~ The Dead Poets Society)

Ellie

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    How many committees would you be prepared to sit on? As many as eligible. Seriously, I can fit them in.
    Are there any categories you are particularly keen to judge? Anything (resurrecting the old AU team again could be fun ) Wouldn't mind HumoUr.
    Are there any categories you would not be happy to judge? Uhm, I'm good.
    Would you be prepared to lead a committee if necessary? Yes
    Can you think of any potential problems/issues that would affect your ability to judge? I am on holiday from July 27th-August 10th, but I have net access.
    Last edited by Equinox Chick; 06-02-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird