Thread: The 2013 Quicksilver Quill Awards - Rules and Questions

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower

The 2013 Quicksilver Quill Awards - Rules and Questions

Hello, and welcome to the eighth annual Quicksilver Quill awards!

Yes, that’s right, everyone’s favourite MNFF award ceremony has rolled around once again. Since 2006, the Quicksilver Quills have celebrated the best writing MNFF has to offer, last year giving 23 writing awards across twelve categories. The addition of the brand new Forum Quicksilver Quills honoured a further seventeen of the wonderful people who help make MNFF what it is today.

Each year stories are nominated by our members and then judging panels made up of some of MNFF’s finest readers and writers assess each nomination and decide upon the winners. The Forum awards are nominated for in a similar way, followed by a public vote to choose the winners. More information on those can be found in the Forum QSQ sub-forum once nominations open in July. The rest of this thread will detail the rules for the writing awards which open today.

This year there will once again be twelve categories. In each category there may be one or two winners, and winners may be separated into one-shots and chaptered.

Categories

Best General Story
    Best Dark/Angsty Story
    Best Humor Story
    Best Canon Romance Story
    Best Non-Canon Romance Story
    Best Same-Sex Pairing Story
    Best Alternate Universe Story
    Best Poetry
    Best Marauders' Era Story
    Best Post-Hogwarts Story
    Best Next Generation Story
    Best Original Character

Nomination threads open today and will close at 8pm GMT on the 23rd July, at which point there will be a one week break in order to assign judges to each category. Judging will begin in August. Anyone is welcome to submit a nomination either via the forums or as a comment on the archives. We are looking to find the absolute best stories from the last twelve months. They should be well-written, have engaging plots and characters, and be a good representation of the category they are nominated in (though they don’t necessarily have to have been submitted to the corresponding archive category). In short, they should be the stories that make you go WOW.

The rules are similar to previous years but please refresh yourself with them anyway to make sure you nominate the right stories in the right categories. There is also at least one new rule for you to take note of.

Rules

+ Only stories written (or, in the case of chaptered fics, updated) since the 1st June 2012 are eligible to be nominated.
    + Stories do not have to be in the corresponding archive category to be nominated. For example, a story may be in a romance category but if you think it is particularly funny, it can be nominated in humour.
    + An author or story can win more than one award in the same year. We reserve the right to place a cap on the number of awards given to any one author/story at a later date.
    + An author is eligible to win in a category they have been either winner or runner up in before.
    + Winning stories from previous years may not be nominated again in any category, though with the twelve month rule, we do not expect this to be an issue.
    + Please use the form provided in the first post of each nomination thread and ensure you provide a working link. Nominations that do not follow the correct format will be removed.
    + Do not second nominations – seconding clutters up threads and gives an unrealistic indication of how many stories have been nominated. Having more than one nomination does not increase a story’s chances of winning.
    + Any author can be nominated, including moderators.
    + New Rule: Each person may only nominate three stories per category. Unfortunately, this is a necessary step to keep the number of nominations under control as an ever-decreasing number of judges means we simply don’t have the resources to judge overly large categories. Please try and keep all your nominations for a category in one post to make it easier to keep track of how many stories you have nominated.
    + The judging committees reserve the right not to present an award in any categories where they do not feel the standard of nominations is high enough. However this will only be done as a last resort.

Judging

As with the couple of years, I will be opening a thread in this forum for members to volunteer to be judges. Judging can be demanding but also fun, and we really value the input of as many members as possible in the judging process. You can find more information on judging in the sign-up thread.

Finally…

If you have any questions, please post below!
    Last edited by coolh5000; 06-01-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    All nomination threads are now open. Please let me know if you have any questions or spot any mistakes!

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch
    Can I nominate a poem for Best Humor? (The one I have in mind is "Superharrywentballistichexedmesoferocious" by KarasAunty...)

-on an extended hiatus (though may resurface with a poem or two occasionally)-
    Writing*Poeting*Dueling*Excerpting*Drabbling

Banner by Julia and entertaining avvie designed by minnabird and inspired by an unsuspecting Wren...

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    I put myself forward to be on a judging committee, but unfortunately now don't think I'll have the time due to a huge number of other commitments, how do I withdraw? Is it as simple as deleting my sign up, or is there some process?

I hope you can help,
    Fenella

Thanks to majestic_ginny/Nadia for my beautiful banner & avvie!
    'There's the silver lining I've been looking for...'

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Hi Fenella, That's fine - thanks for letting me know - just edit or delete your post in the sign-up thread and I'll make sure you're removed from the list of potential judges

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    1000timesingoldenink, sorry I missed your question until now. After thinking about it, I'm going to say no. I think it would just be too difficult to judge a poem against stories and therefore it would never be a fair contest.

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    I've realised I'm not actually going to be at home at 8pm on Tuesday so I'm extending the deadline for nominations to 8pm GMT on Wednesday - just a few more days to get in those last minute nominations!

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Nominations have now closed Thank you all for your contributions. I will spend the next week assigning judges and then discussions will begin in August. I'll be back at the end of September to announce the results!