Thread: Pregnancy in Hogwarts

forspecial

Pregnancy in Hogwarts

I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere-- I searched the forums and didn't seem to find anything.

Now, in a school where hundreds of teenagers are cooped up all year long together must have some problems with issues of a sexual nature. I've recently become slightly obsessed with the idea of a student in Hogwarts becoming pregnant and dealing with the aftermath of their condition and the struggle to decide what to do with the pregnancy and would really like to write a fic surrounding this issue.

I know a lot of people are of the opinion that unplanned pregnancies don't happen in the Wizarding world simply because magic can take care of those sorts of things, but I think that's just slightly too convenient for my liking. I think that there are a number of magical methods by which one could prevent a pregnancy, such as potions or charms (I'm inclined to use a potion in my plot), but I'm interested in what others think about it.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I have written about teen pregnancy in at least three of my stories. (or at least alluded to it). In my head canon, Astoria was sixteen when she met Draco, who was twenty four (I found out after that she was in fact only two years younger than him). She became pregnant, by accident, and left Hogwarts to marry him.

In another story, Lavender took a contraceptive potion which Madam Pomfrey doled out to her. I used the same idea in High. Basically, I dislike the convenience of some all encompassing charm over Hogwarts that prevents pregnancy. Also, I don't think it's a matter of magic taking care of it, because in the books everything seems to indicate that Tonks' pregnancy wasn't planned. She was delighted, but I doubt her and Remus sat down and said, 'Yes, let's have a kid'.

There's nothing to stop them using Muggle contraceptives. Dean would surely know where to get hold of condoms, and I suspect Hermione's clued up enough to use the pill, but whether someone like Ginny would trust a Muggle idea is another matter.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

forspecial
    Thanks Carole!

I was looking at my character being too embarrassed to want to go see Madam Pomfrey for the potion, and thinking herself up to brewing it, and obviously making a quite grave mistake. I think because of the seemingly hush-hush nature of sex at Hogwarts, it would be pretty likely that a student might feel ashamed to seek the "professional" methods, or even as though Madam Pomfrey was looking down on her for trying to receive contraception and would therefore attempt to take matters into her own hands, so to speak.