Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cho Chang

Second Year Gryffindor
    Beset by Owls

Cho Chang

I wasn't really sure whether to create a new thread for Cho or whether to post in minor characters. I mean, if Lavender has a thread, then Cho should, right?

So here are my two questions about her:

Is she Muggle-born or half-blood? I looked up her profile on the Lexicon and it doesn't say. I vaguely recall somewhere in the books where she mentions to Harry that she is half-blood...am I right?

Do you think Cho would succumb to abuse (all kinds) by the man she loved? Do you think she would defend him; saying he surely doesn't mean it? She defended her friend Marietta when she was clearly very wrong, so do you think she would do the same for the man she loves, even if he hurts her? Do you think she would stay by him no matter what?

Mods, if this thread is incorrect, if Cho is supposed to be asked about in minor characters, please forgive my ignorance, but in my opinion, she's not really a minor character. She played a pretty big part in books four and five.

mostlikelytolie
    I think Cho is a loyal type of person, but she would've had to known this person either extremely well, or at least for a very long time. She showed less loyalty to Harry than to Marietta, but did stick up for Harry when Zacharias Smith was talking crap in the Hog's Head- her loyalty seems relative.

As far as being with someone who is hurting her, I think she would. She seems- well I don't want to say weak, but I don't know of another word. I think she would blame herself a little, and would see the good in him, especially if, as most how most abuse happens, the man shows a loveable side to her sometimes, and then revert to his other side. I think there should also be some sort of reward for her to stick with him- maybe he's the father of her child, maybe he buys her anything she wants, maybe she gets the high-life status that she's always wanted, I don't know, but you should raise him a little in status, I think.

Hope this helps!

FenrirG
    I have to agree with Keryn--Cho really isn't the strongest character. She seems like the type more likely to stick up for someone else than for herself. She's very sensitive, and I think it would only take a few words from her husband to hurt her emotionally, and then she could easily say something that would enrage him more--and she would blame herself, because of what she said.

Recall how Cho was so furious with Harry in Book Five--but all he did was an interview with Rita Skeeter, and she forgave him immediately. I think that every time her husband would apologize, she would forgive him--knowing perfectly well that he would do it again, and she would continue to forgive him.

She's the sort of character I can see being stuck in that horrible cycle; sensitive but forgiving. I think she would be very submissive in time, and even become an enabler (buying more alcohol if her husband demanded it, covering for him if he's drunk and misses work). It's a sad reality, but I think that Cho is exactly the kind of character to end up doing such a thing.

I hope this helps!

Edit I think that Cho is a half-blood. I recall her telling Harry that "My parents forbade me to do anything to anger Umbridge..." which implies that they know all about her and the Ministry.

rachelprue

Hi

I have a Cho question.

Do you think Cho is capable of becoming a Death Eater?

If yes, what do you think her motivation would be?

mostlikelytolie
    I don't think she is. I doubt she has the stomach for it, and being a part of Dumbledore's Army shows she has some loyalties to the good side. The only way I could see her being one would be if Voldemort forced her to or he would kill someone close to her- but even still, I don't think she'd be vital enough to him for him to bother- he could just put her under the Imperius curse if he needed her to do something. I don't ever see Cho becoming a DE.

Also, I agree with the half-blood status, going along with what Fenn said.

Cheers!

miss padfoot
    I'm not too sure about her blood status. Sure, if her parents had forbade her to do anything against Umbridge, they might as well be Pureblood (people working for the Ministry, probably and don't want her daughter to get into trouble) or even Muggleborn. If her parents are Muggleborn, they're probably concerned about her safety and wouldn't want her to rise against Umbridge... She seems likelier to be half-blood or Pureblood though, I'd say.

As to whether she would become a Death Eater, no, I don't think so. At least not voluntarily. She was in love with Cedric who was murdered on Voldemort's orders so she wouldn't want to have anything to do with him.

But if he, say, blackmails her that he'd kill her parents/friends, then I don't think she's going to be really thinking about Harry and doing the right thing and stuff like Ron/Hermione might. Her loyalty to him has diminished since OotP and I don't think she would really stick up for Harry on that count.

MorganRay
    Do you think Cho would succumb to abuse (all kinds) by the man she loved? Do you think she would defend him; saying he surely doesn't mean it?

I don't think Cho has involved herself in any abusive relationships up until this point in the HP series. Harry and Cedric weren't abusive towards her, and I don't think she'd gravitate towards someone who had those tendacies. However, people can be deceptive, so if she found herself with someone unsavory, I'm not sure she'd stay with him. She walked away from Harry when he was being a jerk, didn't she? Why couldn't she walk away from a man that was legitimately hurting her? I don't think she would defend someone who she knows is doing wrong. Cho, for all the faults attributed to her, doesn't seem to have a bad taste in men or gravitate to loving abusive people. However, with Marietta, Cho shows poor judgement in her friends. Marietta, despite her betrayal, was on the 'good side' for a time, and I think Marietta's betryal shows more of Umbridge's power over the students, even those in the DA, and the weakness of the individual under so much pressure rather than any failing of Cho's. But because Cho defended Marietta, she may be inclined to defend those people who do wrong things for the right reasons. I can honestly see Cho working in the Ministry and not becoming a DE. Why? I don't think she's evil, and she will remember Cedric, who was killed by Voldamort.

However, despite that Cho doesn't show signs of joining Voldamort any time soon, she could become entangled in the web of politics in the Ministry and do something 'evil' without realizing it. What I mean by 'evil' is that Cho will hinder the good side, even though her intentions are to help people. Well, her intentions could even be for her own gain or to protect a friend, but she, like Fudge and Scrimgeour, could end up harming the cause of the Order.

From Cho's comment about Umbridge and her friendship with Marietta, I think her parent (s) probably work in the Ministry. So, she's most likely a half-blood, although the other two are completely plausible.

To what extent do you think Cho was effected by Cedric's death? Will that affect who she'll date? Marry?

mostlikelytolie
    Do you think Cho would succumb to abuse (all kinds) by the man she loved? Do you think she would defend him; saying he surely doesn't mean it?

I don't think Cho has involved herself in any abusive relationships up until this point in the HP series. Harry and Cedric weren't abusive towards her, and I don't think she'd gravitate towards someone who had those tendacies. However, people can be deceptive, so if she found herself with someone unsavory, I'm not sure she'd stay with him. She walked away from Harry when he was being a jerk, didn't she? Why couldn't she walk away from a man that was legitimately hurting her? I don't think she would defend someone who she knows is doing wrong

Unfortunately, I have to respectfully disagree. I think that, as I have taken Rayne to mean, this is a man she loves wholeheartedly, and who feels badly about his actions towards her when he's drunk. As much as some might've wanted it, neither Cho nor Harry were in love with the other, and I even think that, if Harry might've apologized for his actions, she would've forgiven him. She seems like a proud girl, to me, but I think that she's somewhat blinded by the image of how things are- she felt like she was in love with Cedric, but how well did she actually know him? Then she fell for Harry, because A) she was grieving, B) he'd liked her, and C) because he'd that glory factor that seemed to have momentarily blinded her to faults that would've disproved their compatibility. I don't know if she really fell for Cedric, but it's plain to see that she didn't truly love Harry, didn't even think she had, really, but was trying to transfer her grief. I think that she's the type who would submit to someone she loves, even if it means she gets hurt.

However, with Marietta, Cho shows poor judgement in her friends. Marietta, despite her betrayal, was on the 'good side' for a time, and I think Marietta's betryal shows more of Umbridge's power over the students, even those in the DA, and the weakness of the individual under so much pressure rather than any failing of Cho's. But because Cho defended Marietta, she may be inclined to defend those people who do wrong things for the right reasons.
    I think Marietta's betrayal only proves my point further- Cho is loyal to a fault. I think that Marietta's betrayal was horrible, for she gave up her best friend as being against the laws of the Ministry, and yet Cho stood by her side, showing that she's loyal, even to those who harm her. The relationships between best friends and husbands are similar in strength, though I think women tend to hold to romantic relationships(those resulting in marriage) more fiercely than those between best friends. If she would defend Marietta even when betrayed, where is the proof that she wouldn't do the same for someone she felt she was in love with?

I could see Cho's parents being involved in the Ministry, or even as Healers.

miss padfoot
    Well, I think that Cho wasn't really in love with Harry or Cedric. To me, she appeared like she wanted to date Harry just so she could get to know more about Cedric's death. I don't think she ever expressed a liking to Harry like he liked her even though it was just infatuation on his part. And though she really liked Cedric, I don't think it was "love" per se either.

Having said that, we don't really know how she would react to someone she really loves rather than being infatuated to. While she does seem the forgiving type because she defended Marietta against Harry, I'm not too sure if she would really stay put to someone who clearly abuses her. Cho Chang is not stupid or blinded by love like Merope Riddle was. I think she'd have the sense to walk out on an abusive relationship. She may try and adjust to the circumstances but beyond a point, I can see her walking out on a relationship.

To what extent do you think Cho was affected by Cedric's death? Will that affect who she'll date? Marry?
    I think by now (two years later) she's probably over Cedric's death, meaning that she's probably not going to cry to sleep every night thinking about Cedric. But, I'm positive she won't date/marry someone from the Dark Side/Death Eaters because she clearly has a lot to hold against them. While I'm not sure she'd join forces with Harry -- there's too much of pain involved there -- I can definitely see her supporting the Ministry. And, though they might adopt radically different measures, at the end of the day, both the Ministry and Harry are trying to achieve the same thing: the end of Voldemort. And I believe Cho will stand by their cause.

DogLover4Life
    This question is sort of an offshoot to the abuse question. How do you think Cho would react to being trapped by a DE and then put under the Cruciatus Curse? Besides the physical damage what do you think would happen to her mental state? What about her would change from a traumatic experience?