Thread: Character count

First Year Ravenclaw
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs

Character count

I would like to suggest (if possible) that the character count when posting a pm be increased from it's present 15000 characters. I was sending a PM to someone which consisted of sending my story chapters (to be beta ed) via individual messages, and it took some time to send the chapters (13 in all). I had to break down one of my chapters into 3 messages to get it sent. Some people prefer stories to be sent via PM, but it can get quite time consuming sending the chapters one at a time. Increasing the word count would lessen the time to send large items.

Could I also suggest that some sort of character counter be introduced on the pm page so that members will be able to see if their over the character limit.

Thank you for your time.

Clone Club Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Seeking Keys
    I'm no mod, but I would assume that the reason that the character count is low is because there's just not enough space on the server. There's not enough space for animated icons, larger signatures, bigger PM boxes...my guess would be that the character count has to do with space. IF the mods could make it bigger, they would, I'm sure.

I usually use PMs for conversation, not betaing. I would suggest you use email instead

Lily xxx
    Lily Writes ♥ alisonhendrxes blogs ♥ @lilysinsistence tweets

banner by theopaleye | avi by me

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    To my knowledge, the character count for PMs is the same as individual post character counts, and I don't think that they can be differentiated. The reason why we have a character limit for posts is pretty much to keep the page from being megasuperlong to scroll. Honestly, though, outside of drabbles, very, very few betas even accept work via PM (as it is a pain to work with), so it really hasn't come up as an issue the entire time I've been a member of the site. If you have an issue with sending pieces of your text via PM, it may be best to use email instead. Most users here have an email that they use for strictly fandom related things, with fake names and so forth to protect their identity. I'm not saying you have to use email, but for the sake of simplicity for both you and your beta (as well as for far more editing options), it might be best to use email.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    I don't think that many PMs are that long anyway. The longest PM I ever sent was about 4,000 characters (I think), so I have never had a problem.

I agree with the email. It's a lot easier for the beta and for the writer because you don't have to worry about copy/paste/formatting issues.

Beautifulamazingperfect banner by BrokenPromise!

BACK FROM HIATUS!

First Year Ravenclaw
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs
    Thanks to all for your advice. I'll PM my beta and see if there's anyway we can arrange e-mailing from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Peppermint Toads View Post
    I don't think that many PMs are that long anyway. The longest PM I ever sent was about 4,000 characters (I think), so I have never had a problem.

I agree with the email. It's a lot easier for the beta and for the writer because you don't have to worry about copy/paste/formatting issues.

Slytherin Mom Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    You're Fraternising with the Enemy!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Padfoot11333 View Post
    I'm no mod, but I would assume that the reason that the character count is low is because there's just not enough space on the server. There's not enough space for animated icons, larger signatures, bigger PM boxes...my guess would be that the character count has to do with space. IF the mods could make it bigger, they would, I'm sure.

I usually use PMs for conversation, not betaing. I would suggest you use email instead

Lily xxx
    Lily is right. There are limits because of server space and, as Jess mentioned, it's easier to beta a story via email versus PM. More options. :-) If you need to, there are several free email services to use like Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, etc. Keep it generic (again, as Jess mentioned) to keep your identity safe and, if age is a big factor, get your parent's permission first!

~Nicole
    Avvie is pic of my number one fans, Rielly and Mason! xoxo

Banner by SimplyBeing
    Read The Forum Rules! They're Etched in Stone . . .
    KC - My Friend Through Modship - Rest in Peace. <3