Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator

KalHoNaaHo
    Just to add to what Mandy said, if it was in a rejection letter, I doubt that that was the sole reason. The mod who looked over the fic likely added it as something to be taken into consideration.

And it's not something seen just in fanfiction either; I've actually seen it in HPB.

Oh, and if the whole piece is in internal monologue, italics aren't necessary in the slightest.

Paisa
    Hello,

I do not know if there's already a question like this, but just to make sure;

Is there any age-limit/age-preference on the mods your going to hire?

The deadline is June 3, right? Does that mean that applications sent after that isn't reviewed?

Thanks in advance!

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    I think the only official "too young" limit is thirteen, but that's because you need to be thirteen to be on the site. It helps if you're fifteen or older, since some of the fics deal with sensative issues, but somebody wouldn't get turned down just because of that.

Thanks to opaleye for the lovely banner!

Poultrygeist
    The current mods run the gamut from 13 to 40-something. We are a pretty diverse group, and age is not an enormous consideration.

Accio_Brain
    I have two questions.

First, is there any way to tell how many reads or views your story has?

Second, why are the banners or sig images not showing up or showing up only sporadically? Sometimes you can see the images and sometimes they're in the signatures as links instead.

HopeWheeler
    I saw that someone already asked about character appreciation threads which aren't going to be revived, but what about the shipping support threads that we had on the old forums? Are they going to return on the new forums? I think they could generate some good discussions.

Marauder by Midnight
    Quote Originally Posted by Accio_Brain
    I have two questions.

First, is there any way to tell how many reads or views your story has?

Second, why are the banners or sig images not showing up or showing up only sporadically? Sometimes you can see the images and sometimes they're in the signatures as links instead.
    You can't tell how many reads your story has. This has been answered before.

Sometimes members don't know how to use the image code and pastes the link instead. Other times, members don't want to show the image in their signature for other reasons.

I saw that someone already asked about character appreciation threads which aren't going to be revived, but what about the shipping support threads that we had on the old forums? Are they going to return on the new forums? I think they could generate some good discussions.
    This, too, has been answered in our F.A.Q. section. "What you see is what you get."

We've also found that though there were periodically good discussions in shipping support threads, most of the posts had been spam.

RavenclawRose

Quiz

When exactly will the quiz be up and where will it be?

Jeffersonian Intern Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    I'm not sure if this would be the place to ask this question, but I'm not sure where else to ask it.

When I submitted the first chapter of my story it got rejected because I submitted it to 7 categories. I was kind of surprised because I thought I only put General Fic and then Marauders Era for the sub-category. Do you know how this happened? Did I use the drop down selection thing wrong?

Thanks

Marauder by Midnight
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenclawRose
    When exactly will the quiz be up and where will it be?
    In the F.A.Q.:

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist

Currently the automated sorting test is unavailable. It is being coded to interface with our new forum software. We do not have an estimate for when it will be up and running. Whining/nagging/asking when it will be ready is not helpful and will not increase the speed of the coders who are volunteering their time.
    However, in the sorting thread:

Quote Originally Posted by MJ MNFF

If you were not previously sorted, or would like to be resorted, you may send a PM to Harry Potter requesting the sorting quiz. PMs sent to Harry Potter about any other issue at this time will be deleted.
    Please please check the previous posts AND the F.A.Q. to make sure your question has not yet been answered.

When I submitted the first chapter of my story it got rejected because I submitted it to 7 categories. I was kind of surprised because I thought I only put General Fic and then Marauders Era for the sub-category. Do you know how this happened? Did I use the drop down selection thing wrong?
    Your chapter indicated, in our queue, that you submitted in more than one category. Try submitting again. If it's deleted again, indicate in your story text as a note to the mods that you intend to submit your story in only the Marauders Era category. If the category shows up as something different for us, we'll change it for you.

The category section has been a bit glitchy lately.