Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator

mecredi
    In the Annoucements there was a post about sorting that said if you have not yet taken the test you can pm "Harry Potter" and take a manual verision? Is that right? Or should we just wait for the automated version to be put up?

Poultrygeist
    Quote Originally Posted by lily_evans34
    I was about to submit a story, when I realized I didn't know whether or not to put character death in the warnings. Everyone knows that the character is already dead. It's about Cedric, and I was just wondering if that should be a warning, because hopefully his death won't shock anyone who reads it.

If you actually describe the death in your story, I would put in the warning. Better to err on the side of caution.

In the Annoucements there was a post about sorting that said if you have not yet taken the test you can pm "Harry Potter" and take a manual verision? Is that right? Or should we just wait for the automated version to be put up?
    Yes, you may PM Harry Potter to take the sorting test. You may wait if you would like, but don't hold your breath while you're waiting or you'll pass out.

Would it be possible to get a reader up on the site that says whether or not someone is reviewing addmissions at that time. I don't know why I just think it would be useful. Just a suggestion.
    We have moderators in most time zones around the world, so there is nearly always someone reviewing admissions. Even if there is someone reviewing admissions at the time, you are not likely to see your story validated immediately. We get a lot of submissions to the archive, about 300/day at peak times, so you can rest assured that there are stories in the queue ahead of yours.

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Looking for Nicholas Flamel

I've got a question about becoming a moderator. Should I PM Harry Potter about it, or is Harry Potter even a person (I know Headmistress wasn't...) Or should I post it here?

GORGEOUS banner by Kat/Mistletoe! Thank you so much!
    Icon by me [disillusion_row on livejournal].

Poultrygeist
    Quote Originally Posted by lily_evans34
    I've got a question about becoming a moderator. Should I PM Harry Potter about it, or is Harry Potter even a person (I know Headmistress wasn't...) Or should I post it here?

You should PM any questions about being a moderator to Harry Potter. That account is being monitored by moderators and used for administrative functions.

There is also a mod application FAQ here: http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/foru...=9615#post9615

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Looking for Nicholas Flamel

Right, so, two more questions:

Is saying "Avada Kedavra" describing death? That's really all the depth I go into.

And:

Is character death for mentioning that you've killed off a character, or for showing when the character actually dies? Or both? Hope that made sense!

GORGEOUS banner by Kat/Mistletoe! Thank you so much!
    Icon by me [disillusion_row on livejournal].

AlexisTaylor
    While in conversations on these boards, we say we 'Avada Kedavra'd someone', I wouldn't recommend that as a way for people to describe a death scene. It's not terribly descriptive, and I think in the context of a story, that would be considered very inconsiderate.

You put a character death warning in whenever any character dies. I'm not quite sure what differentiation you were looking for.

stareyed_in_LA
    I am having a huge problem with the avatar settings. I want to submit an avatar, but whenever I try to do so, I get this "remote file too large." What does "remote file too large" mean and what can I do to finally get an avatar that I want submitted.

AlexisTaylor
    Make sure your avatar is only 100 x 100 pixels. Also, try to change your picture file into a jpeg file extension by using the 'save as' option on your picture, and clicking the drop down menu on 'jpeg'.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    Have a question that wasn't covered in the FAQ? Ask it here. Only moderators may answer questions. Answers will be given only once, so please read the thread before asking your question.

Spam in this thread will be deleted. This includes answers given by non-moderators, questions that have already been asked and answered, and off-topic comments and/or conversation.

Okay, so...
    What if I want to delete my account at MNFF? I e-mailed the staff countless times, but never got a reply.

AlexisTaylor
    Your name pops up unregistered, which means you're not registered, which means that we cannot delete you because you don't technically exist on the forums.