Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator

Blossomlily

Red face

This isn't a serious issue... but I find that when I edit my story, the spaces between the paragraphs become huge. I understand that you separate the text using <br> tags, but I usually just leave a return; when I went to my account to try and correct that, I discovered that there were twice the number of <br> tags between the paragraphs. And every single one looked like this : <br />

I've never used <br> tags like those before... and I'm not strong in HTML either. This isn't a pressing problem, but it can be tedious to read a fic which has five returns between the dialogues instead of just two. Can someone please explain this to me so I can correct it? Thanks!

Marauder by Midnight
    I've been sorted into a house and I never took the quiz.. how did that happen?
    Sorry. I misread your PM. I'll un-Sort you immediately.

This isn't a serious issue... but I find that when I edit my story, the spaces between the paragraphs become huge. I understand that you separate the text using <br> tags, but I usually just leave a return; when I went to my account to try and correct that, I discovered that there were twice the number of <br> tags between the paragraphs. And every single one looked like this : <br />

I've never used <br> tags like those before... and I'm not strong in HTML either. This isn't a pressing problem, but it can be tedious to read a fic which has five returns between the dialogues instead of just two. Can someone please explain this to me so I can correct it? Thanks!
    The system automatically turns your <br> to <br /> tags. Try using only one <br> and see if that fixes your problem.

Blossomlily
    The system automatically turns your <br> to <br /> tags. Try using only one <br> and see if that fixes your problem.
    The thing is, I never use <br> in the first place. A return works for me. Initially the spacing looks just fine, but after I go and edit something, the tags go haywire...

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    The same thing happened to me with my spacing, BlossomLily! I submitted my story with the single return I had done myself, and when it was posted there were several breaks between paragraphs. Each time I try to edit them out it just reverts and puts them back in. Very strange. I am sort of glad I am not the only one!
    So my questions are: when we add a story, should we leave out the single return and put a <br> instead? What is the difference between <br> and <br />? Should the single return work - and if so what are we doing wrong??
    Thanks,
    ~Gina

Poultrygeist
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmariam
    The same thing happened to me with my spacing, BlossomLily! I submitted my story with the single return I had done myself, and when it was posted there were several breaks between paragraphs. Each time I try to edit them out it just reverts and puts them back in. Very strange. I am sort of glad I am not the only one!
    So my questions are: when we add a story, should we leave out the single return and put a <br> instead? What is the difference between <br> and <br />? Should the single return work - and if so what are we doing wrong??
    Thanks,
    ~Gina
    Try doing it without any break tags at all. I think what is happing is that the program is putting in BOTH your enters (returns) and your break tags.

froggie
    I'm sorry if this has been aswered before, but are we allowed to ask about general fics in the q and a, or do we have to pm mods?

Marauder by Midnight
    Quote Originally Posted by froggie
    I'm sorry if this has been aswered before, but are we allowed to ask about general fics in the q and a, or do we have to pm mods?
    If you mean fics submitted in the General category, I suggest you choose a moderator (or two) and ask them personally over PM.

However, if you meen fics in general, sure, post it here

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?

I have noticed that when I edit a fic during the validation process, it adds line breaks. But when I hit validate and view the story, the chapter looks fine. Next time you edit and it shows extra line breaks, hit submit and see what happens. Chances are it will be okay on validation.
    Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

Alexander Pope

Unregistered

Could You

Would it be possible to get a reader up on the site that says whether or not someone is reviewing addmissions at that time. I don't know why I just think it would be useful. Just a suggestion.

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Looking for Nicholas Flamel

Character Death?

I was about to submit a story, when I realized I didn't know whether or not to put character death in the warnings. Everyone knows that the character is already dead. It's about Cedric, and I was just wondering if that should be a warning, because hopefully his death won't shock anyone who reads it.

GORGEOUS banner by Kat/Mistletoe! Thank you so much!
    Icon by me [disillusion_row on livejournal].