Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator

Blossomlily
    efiction recognizes BOTH carriage returns and <br/> tags. My suspicion is that you've got both in there, so when the software looks at your chapter and shows it back to you, it doubles the spaces.
    Erm... I have the exact same problem, but I don't use <br/> tags at all, actually. I have a suspiscion Infinitestarburst doesn't as well... Anyhow, the problem arises only when one edits the fic. If one doesn't touch the story once it's 'published', then nothing goes wrong with the spacing.

Infanitestarburst
    really? actually, that was the reason i edited the fic. i was looking on it to get a quote for a respond to a review and it looked like that.

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?

If it happens when you edit it, then you will probably find that those extra spaces disappear on validation. If I edit during the validation process, it puts in extra spaces, but when I hit validate and it's publshed on site the extra spaces disappear.
    Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

Alexander Pope

hogwartsduchess
    Perhaps someone could tell me why one of my chapters was validated with no breaks between paragraphs? I submit the exact same way each time and each time, it looks differently than the chapter before it did. Any ideas?

I, too, have the problem with extra spaces. At one point, one of my chapters had 4 or 5 of those silly tags in it - I don't use them at all. I've gone in and deleted them and the chapter was fine - but I hadn't edited the chapter since it had been validated, so I don't know how it happened.

5. 06-07-2006, 04:24 PM

Marauder by Midnight
    Quote Originally Posted by hogwartsduchess
    Perhaps someone could tell me why one of my chapters was validated with no breaks between paragraphs? I submit the exact same way each time and each time, it looks differently than the chapter before it did. Any ideas?

I, too, have the problem with extra spaces. At one point, one of my chapters had 4 or 5 of those silly tags in it - I don't use them at all. I've gone in and deleted them and the chapter was fine - but I hadn't edited the chapter since it had been validated, so I don't know how it happened.
    It's not good formatting to not have breaks between paragraphs. Formatting errors were an automatic rejection, but some mods might not be aware of that. However, you should be consistent in formatting. It looks a LOT neater when there are breaks between paragraphs.

The system automatically converts them to those "silly tags." We're currently investigating the paragraph glitch, but I'm pretty sure that if you edit your story in ANY way go back and take out all breaks in your story so it

looks
    this

instead of

this.

Hope that was clear xD If not, feel free to PM me or another mod.

circinusphoenix

Email notices and story cancellation

Hello,

My question is simple: Why haven't the email notices been fixed yet? I asked a while ago why my chapter 4 for my story was being rejected, however got the same answers back: could be grammar, spelling, in the wrong category, etc. I've gone through the chapter countless times (it's validated on hpff, which moderates chapters as well), and have submitted it 4 times, everytime being rejected. I've tried changing categories from romance to general, since I figure the general category would be allowed "general" fiction, and that would solve any plot problems any moderators have with that chapter, but it was still rejected. There is nothing disturbing or gross or anything in my fic, it's a simple version of what I think the real book 7 will be like. There's no swears, no violence (graphic that is), and no sexuality (the kind that deserves a warning to). Not getting an email telling me why it was rejected is no help, since I don't know why you rejected it in the first place, so I don't know what to fix. It's been frustrating, and because it's taken me weeks and I'm still back at submitting the same chapter.

So, in light of all this, I have decided to stop posting it on MNFF. I wanted it to go on here, but not being able to post more chapters makes it kinda hard to keep going with a story. I do hope that you get this fixed soon, because if it had been working or at least fixed earlier, you wouldn't be loosing an author.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party

Editing the summary

Hi,
    Is it okay to edit the summary of a piece *after* it has been validated? I don't want to change the summary so much as reflect later changes - chapters added, connections to other stories, sequels - that sort of thing. But is it okay to do that after the fact? Will that change the validation status? Thank you!
    ~Gina

hearyoume

Rather simple questions...

Okay, this isn't really a problem, just an explanation. When I view the list of people who have my story as one of their favorites, it has brackets and a number inside next to their username (for example, hearyoume [8]). What does that mean?

I also have a problem when looking at the list of members who have me as one of their favorite authors. It says 7, but I can only see one. I searched this thread and I found that someone asked about this too, but there didn't seem to be an answer for it and I was just wondering if there was yet, or maybe I just missed it.

Thanks very much!

KalHoNaaHo
    hearyoume - I'm pretty sure that the number stands for the number of fics they have.

Gmariam - Yes, you may. Be careful and don't put in a lot of formatting or things that we don't allow on this site, because mods do keep an eye on fics that have been validated and one can delete your summary if they feel it's not appropriate.

circinusphoenix - I'm sorry for your problems, however there was and is nothing wrong with PMing a moderator and asking them to take a look at the situation. I suggest you PM Magical Maeve, since I happen to know she has modded your story.

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?

circinusphoenix - I can't PM you because you aren't a registered user. I rejected your last chapter. It had technical errors - mainly grammar, dialogue etc, I can't remember exactly what they were, but I suggest you get a good beta reader to go over it before resubmitting.

I don't understand why you didn't just contact one of us first before getting this frustrated.

We do have tough standards, tougher than HPFF maybe, but not as tough as others. And we are reasonable. We just need to know if there is a problem. We can't fix what we don't know about. You can email me if you wish via my profile to discuss this further.
    Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

Alexander Pope

12. 06-08-2006, 10:24 PM

13. 06-08-2006, 10:30 PM

14. 06-08-2006, 10:30 PM

15. 06-08-2006, 10:35 PM

16. 06-08-2006, 10:35 PM