Thread: Secret SPEW VIII ó Sign-ups!

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare

Secret SPEW VIII ó Sign-ups!

SECRET SPEW VIII!

Sign-ups run from now until October 10th, and assignments will be sent out no later than October 12th.

Stories are due December 15th, and will be posted beginning December 23rd.

Sign-Up Guidelines / Rules:
    • Post your request in this thread by Wednesday, October 10th.
    • Requests should not contain anything inappropriate for MNFF.
    • If you are currently or will be on hiatus through the duration of the swap, you may still participate, but ONLY if you can guarantee that you will still be able to turn in a gift on time. If you do sign up during a hiatus and fail to make the deadline, it will bar you from participation in the following two story exchanges/writing activities. Please, donít make me do that.
    • Do not request a fic if you are not absolutely sure you will be able to take the time to write one for someone else. If you have to pull out due to unforeseen circumstances, then please notify me as soon as possible so that I can arrange for another story to be written. I CANNOT stress this enough, guys. It's a killer trying to find someone to write a pinch-hit two days before the fics are to be posted (especially in the Christmas season).
    • This is a SECRET swap. Don't let anyone know who you're writing for under any circumstances. If, of course, you use a SPEWer as your beta then they might figure it out/need to know, but they can't tell anyone either (obviously).
    • Use this format for your request post:
      PHP Code:
      [b][u]What Youíd Like to Receive[/u][/b]

[
      B]Favourite Themes/Genres/Character/Pairing(s)/POVs: [/b]
      [
      b]Prompt(s): [/b](Try not to be too restrictiveTheyíre writing the story for younot youJust give helpful suggestions for guidance.)
      [
      b]Preferred Rating Level: [/b](If you donít like smutsay so. If you donít like family-friendly fluffthis is where you ward off Ye Fluffy Bunnies.)
      [
      b]Mood/Themes: [/b
      [
      b]Squicks: [/b](These are things you wish NOT to receive. If you donít want slashsame-sex pairingscross-generational romanceSirius daughtersHarry siblings, or forgotten Maraudersdraw your line in the sand HERE.)
      [
      b]Warnings out of your comfort zone: [/b]

[
      b][u]Your Writing Preferences[/u][/b]

[
      b]Limitations: [/B](characters you canít seem to get rightgenres with which youíre not very familiarPOVs you donít like overmuch)
      [
      b]Favourite Themes/Genres/Characters to Write: [/b]
      [
      b]Your Writing Peeves: [/b](Things that would make your eyes and fingers bleed to write)
      [
      b]Warnings out of your comfort zone: [/b
    • Please try to make all stories wintry or holiday-ish in some way. It doesn't have to be overwhelming, even just the setting. Remember to keep in mind who you're writing for. When requesting, feel free to mention a winter or holiday theme you'd like, or alternatively anything you don't want.

Submission Guidelines / Rules:
    • The story must be betaed and the beta credited in your author notes. There are no exceptions. Don't PM to ask if it's really mandatory, because I'll say that it is.
    • All stories should be rated appropriately for the recipient [meaning their taste, not their age.] If you're writing for someone who does not generally venture into 6th-7th Years / Professors, then do not write that kind of fic. Also, this pertains to content and warnings, as well.
    • If you wish to include smut and you know the person you're writing for will enjoy reading it, then you may write it. It will be posted on spewswap, which has no rating guidelines. However, keep it in the realm of good taste and no themes contradictory to MNFF submission guidelines (incest, bestiality, heavy kink (though if I have to explain this theme, chances are you wonít end up writing it anyway). . .you get the idea.
    • When submitting your story, please include this header:
      Title:
      For:
      Characters/Pairings:
      Rating:
      Warnings (if any):
      Authorís Note:
    • If desired, please also include a note from you to your recipient.
    • Stories do not need HTML tags for me to post them to the spewswap community. I only ask that you double-space your paragraphs as you would when submitting a fic to MNFF (a complete empty space after each paragraph. If you use MS Word, make sure the Add Space After Paragraph is NOT being used, as LJ deletes these spaces now >.<).
    • Stories should be emailed to me [Jess] by the due-date. If you donít know my email already, PM me and I will give it to you. Please send it as an attachment. Do not put the text in the body of the e-mail.

All stories due December 15th.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    McGonagall Doesn't Expel Brilliant Seekers
    What Youíd Like to Receive

Favourite Themes/Genres/Character/Pairing(s)/POVs: D/A is always lovely. I'm not really into family friendly fluff, to be honest, and I love unrequited love (but preferably with some smutty action there too ) as well as angsty love triangles. They are so my thing. My faves at the moment are Albus/Rose/Scorpius (as in, Rose/Albus and Rose/Scorpius, rather than Al/Scorpius), James/Remus/Sirius and Remus/Tonks/Charlie. Generally, though, here are some pairings that I like: Albus/Rose, Louis/Lily, Rose/Scorpius, James/Remus, James/Sirius, Charlie/Tonks, Dean/Parvati, Dean/Hestia, Michael/Daphne, one-sided Remus/Lily, Order member/Death Eater, Sirius/Marlene, Sirius/Dorcas, Teddy/Victoire, Remus/Tonks, Bill/Fleur, Sirus/Bella, other minor Trio Era pairings (honestly, anything from Tracey/Anthony to Seamus/Padma is cool). If you write SSP, I would prefer maleslash over femmeslash if possible. Really, though, that's just a (long) list of some of my favourite pairings. As long as it's not on my squick list, I should be fine with it.
    Prompt(s): Some one-word prompts: tea, sugar, silk, ocean, fire, friends, princess, red, rose, rain, dance, ice, hot, honey. If you want a lyric prompt, any song by Adele (preferably from 21 rather than 19) is good. Take Care by Drake/Rihanna, Love the Way You Lie by Eminem/Rihanna, Love the Way You Lie Part II by Rihanna/Eminem, We Found Love by Rihanna, Unfaithful by Rihanna, No Light No Light by Florence and the Machine, Never Let Me Go by Florence and the Machine or Kiss the Girl by Little Mermaid cartoon people/Ashley Tisdale.
    Preferred Rating Level: I luuuurve smut, and I don't mind you going up to Professors unless it's uber uber Professors, if you know what I mean. But if in doubt, stick to 6th-7th, lol. Obviously, it shouldn't be PWP, but smut is always lovely. If you can shoehorn in a shower scene somewhere, that would be even better, but I totally get it if you can't, hehehehehe.
    Mood/Themes: Dark would be great, but the ending can be happy I love me some angst, though.
    Squicks: No Sirius daughters, Remus daughters, Harry siblings or forgotten Marauders. Please, no AU. I'm not really a fan of Trio-centric stories; I'd prefer some of the less major characters. By that, I don't mean you have to choose the most obscure name on Harry's class list, necessarily, but I just don't want the story to feature Harry, Ron, Hermione or Ginny, if that's okay. It's fine if they appear, just not as the MCs. OH -- and please keep the number of OCs to a minimum. I'd prefer to read about canon characters -- again, it's fine if they appear, but I don't want to read an OC-centric story.
    Warnings out of your comfort zone: AU, Epilogue? What Epilogue?, Book 7 Disregarded. Keep it canon. Everything else is fine, but just make sure that smut isn't hard R/borderline NC17 or anything.

Your Writing Preferences

Limitations: I can't write Harry to save my life. I'm less comfortable with Trio Era pairings than I am with Marauder Era and Next Gen; Next Gen in particular is definitely my favourite era to write. I don't like writing in first person. I rather like writing SSP, but I'm more into writing het nowadays because of the pronoun problem >.<
    Favourite Themes/Genres/Characters to Write: I don't want to write fluff. I prefer D/A, tbh, and I can't guarantee that my endings will be happy. I love writing Next Gen and cousin/cousin pairings (though I obviously won't if you list it as a squick) as well as SSP. I would be hopeless at Historical, too, and I can't write Bellatrix at all.
    Your Writing Peeves: Preferably not first person, as I mentioned, and I may not be able to write a linear story. I can't write Dramione, Harmony, Harry/Ginny, Romione, Molly/Arthur or Lucius/Narcissa. I can't write any pairings with Draco, Harry, Ron, Hermione or Ginny in it. I really hate writing Snape or Dumbledore, too.
    Warnings out of your comfort zone: Anything goes as long as it's not AU, EWE or B7R. I can't guarantee that my smut will be any good, but I, um, like writing it.

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

True American Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Seeking Keys
    *sneaks in*

What You’d Like to Receive

Favourite Themes/Genres/Character/Pairing(s)/POVs:
    I adore D/A fics. Especially romantic darkfic. <3 and my OTP, at the moment, is Hannah/Luna, so if you could include that in the story I would love you forever and ever. I don't mind most pairings, except I'm not a huge fan of Harry/Ginny, and I don't know if I'd want to read a Ron/Hermione specifically for this because I'm kind of meh to it. But most other pairings (as long as they're not super fluffy) are absolutely fine with me.
    Prompt(s):
    Songy prompts because I'm not in a very creative mood: How to Save a Life by The Fray, Paradise by Coldplay, What a Shame by Shinedown, Someday's Gone by All American Rejects, A Sorta Fairytale by Tori Amos, All I Wanted by Paramore.
    And editing just for Jess: Leave Out All the Rest by Linkin Park
    Preferred Rating Level: I would prefer to have something higher rated just because that's what I normally read, and like Soraya said, I don't mind going up to Professors as long as it's not past Professors and into stuff that's not allowed on MNFF, lolol. I don't often read super smutty fics, but I'm not averse to them, so feel free to add some smutty scenes if you want.
    Mood/Themes: Dark/Angsty is definitely my favorite theme, and bittersweet endings are pretty fabulous. I don't want to see anything super fluffy, though.
    Squicks: No Sirius daughters, Harry sisters, or forgotten Marauders, lol. Um, I don't have any squicks per sey, although I don't really want to read any Student/Teacher Romance for this. Like Soraya said, I muchly prefer minor to major characters, and I don't think I want to read any OCs at all.
    Warnings out of your comfort zone: Student/Teacher Romance

Your Writing Preferences

Limitations: Um, I'm not very good with writing major characters, especially the trio, and I don't know if I'd be fabulous writing anything super fluffy either, as I don't like reading it too much. I've also never written heavy smut, but I'd be willing to give it a go.
    Favourite Themes/Genres/Characters to Write: Definitely Dark/Angsty and SSP are my two favourite things to write, so if I could get to write both that would be amazing. I don't know if I'm particularly good with any character, but I am definitely better with minor characters than major ones, especially superminor characters.
    Your Writing Peeves: I don't know if there's anything that would make my fingers bleed, but I would preferably not write anything that involves Draco or Snape in a romantic pairing. (Especially not together because I just realised what that sounded like.)
    Warnings out of your comfort zone: Student/Teacher Romance

*sneaks out*
    Last edited by Padfoot11333; 09-20-2012 at 12:49 AM.
    Lily WritesLily BlogsLily Listens

banner by theopaleye | avi by me

Third Year Ravenclaw
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts

Favourite Themes/Genres/Character/Pairing(s)/POVs:
    Going in completely the opposite direction to the two above me, I love humour above all else. Something quirky, surprising, witty, and preferably putting characters in awkward and hilarious situations are my favourite. Other than that, I like fics that really go deep into the psychology of the characters - they show the author has a deep understanding of the characters they're writing about, and that's something I appreciate. I like to see characters in a different light, to be forced to think about what I'm reading. I'll read any character you want - from the trio to characters who are mentioned for a split second. I'm not as into Next-Gen, but I certainly won't refuse to read it if it looks entertaining. I don't like OC-centric fics, although I don't mind them as background characters. As for pairings, I tend to stick with canon.
    Prompt(s): (Try not to be too restrictive. They’re writing the story for you, not you. Just give helpful suggestions for guidance.)
    Embarassment, quirkiness, reflections (internal or external...), fire, mirrors, walls, dreams. If you want song prompts thennnn... Born This Way - Gaga, Cell Block Tango - from Chicago, Don't Rain on My Parade - from Funny Girl, Dreams - Fleetwood Mac, God and Satan - Biffy Clyro
    Preferred Rating Level: (If you don’t like smut, say so. If you don’t like family-friendly fluff, this is where you ward off Ye Fluffy Bunnies.)
    I will read any rating you want to throw at me!
    Mood/Themes:
    I'm not the biggest fan of fluff, but I get that it comes quite a lot in humour stories because they're generally light-hearted. My favourite humour stories take the form of a tragicomedy: very funny and witty and clever, and yet there are undertones of seriousness and sadness. They don't have to be major parts of the plot, just a line or two that shows that these characters are not just caricatures of themselves. As to other moods/themes, I'll read pretty much anything as long as it isn't too depressing (for example, I'd avoid writing about suicide and depression, because they make me want to cry and I don't like crying =P)
    Squicks: (These are things you wish NOT to receive. If you don’t want slash, same-sex pairings, cross-generational romance, Sirius daughters, Harry siblings, or forgotten Marauders, draw your line in the sand HERE.)
    I can't stand Snape/Anyone. It creeps me out. I don't even like Snape/Lily. I'm not a fan of Hermione or Ron with anyone except Hermione or Ron, but other than that, there's not much that makes me squicky.
    Warnings out of your comfort zone:
    Student/Teacher

Your Writing Preferences

Limitations: (characters you can’t seem to get right, genres with which you’re not very familiar, POVs you don’t like overmuch)
    I struggle a lot with Marauders and I've never written a Next-Gen, so this probably wouldn't be the best time to try! I can do historical and Trio-era fine, though.
    Favourite Themes/Genres/Characters to Write:
    I love writing Humour, but I have grown a great fondness for writing poignant, character-driven, internal stories. I will write any Trio-era character, with perhaps a particular preference for writing Draco and Ron.
    Your Writing Peeves: (Things that would make your eyes and fingers bleed to write)
    I don't really like writing smut that much, it's just embarassingly bad!
    Warnings out of your comfort zone:
    Smut again, or Student/Teacher

FABULOUS banner by Pooja!

"The true poem is in the poet's mind"

Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare

Favourite Themes/Genres/Character/Pairing(s)/POVs: Dark/Angst, Post-Hogwarts, Minor character pairings, major/minor character pairings, realistic romance which may or may not have a 'happy' ending. I love Katie/Oliver, but feel free to pair either of them with someone else. As long as it's well done, I'm on board. But really, taking a minute character from canon and bringing them into full realisation is something that would spark my interest the most.
    Prompt(s): Well, to be honest, I really don't have any ideas for this. I like Romance Gone Wrong, healing stories, and stories that (for the lack of a better word) inspire conscience without bludgeoning the reader over the head.
    Preferred Rating Level: Please nothing under 3rd/5th year. I dislike fluff, and I'm far too old for family friendly stuff.
    Mood/Themes: I like dark stories, angsty stories that tell a sad story and show resolution, and I don't at all mind stories without resolution.
    Squicks: I dislike Marauders (all of them but Remus), Snanyone, old people sex, femmeslash (not a squick so much as just something I don't care for), stories that are all flash and no substance, and wangst.
    Warnings out of your comfort zone: I'm fine, just as long as no one is warning-ing with Snape.

Your Writing Preferences

Limitations: I don't profess any great talent in any genre, but I'm acutely aware of my limitations when it comes to Marauder Era and earlier, especially when research is involved. I'm far too lazy for that.
    Favourite Themes/Genres/Characters to Write: Minor characters and pairings, Post-Hogwarts, battlefic, character redemption
    Your Writing Peeves: Snapery and canon romance in general
    Warnings out of your comfort zone: We're all good there.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    Favourite Themes/Genres/Character/Pairing(s)/POVs: I love light romance. Well, not so light that it’s complete fluff, but I like a happy ending. I love Trio era and Next-Gen.
    I love Hermione pairings, but not, like, Hermione/Ron. I like Hermione/Oliver a lot, a lot, a lot. I also love Hermione/Remus or Hermione/Charlie. Also, I really like Lily Luna/Scorpius. I like cross-gen pairings.
    Prompt(s): (Try not to be too restrictive. They’re writing the story for you, not you. Just give helpful suggestions for guidance.) Lately, the idea of falling for someone you barely know but you do is interesting, best friends into more, Postcard from Paris by the Band Perry, Tug of War by Carly Rae Jepsen, Landslide by Fleetwood Mac, Immortal Beloved (in reference to Beethoven), Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven, Silly Love Songs by Elton John, Wild at Heart by Gorianna, Tonight I Wanna Cry by Keith Urban,
    Preferred Rating Level: Hard-core smut makes me blush, so while I read Professors, I prefer 6th-7th or under.
    Mood/Themes: Some sort of happily ever after, though if it’s unrequited romance, it could be a bittersweet ending.
    Squicks: Please no SSP or anything older than the Trio. I’m also not a fan of super dark, depressing post-war fics. Or romances based purely on sex. Also, I don’t like heavy description or character studies.
    Warnings out of your comfort zone: Suicide, SSP

Your Writing Preferences

Limitations: Anyone older than Trio Era eludes me. I don’t know how well I’d do with humour.
    Favourite Themes/Genres/Characters to Write: Romance, Next-Gen, Hermione. Basically, what I like to read is what I like to write.
    Your Writing Peeves: Super heavy smut, Marauders, Historical
    Warnings out of your comfort zone: SSP
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Ebil Minion Ravenclaw
    Petrificus Totalus!

WHATEVER YOU LIKE.
    I’ll read almost anything. To see some AU around would be great, as there’s not enough of it, and minor characters would be preferable to major characters, but I don’t care. As it says above in big letters. Besides which, you are all people I'd trust to write a good story.

EDIT: If you're looking for prompts, I'm currently completely obsessed with Regina Spektor's music, and her lyrics are phantasmagorically odd.

Your Writing Preferences

Limitations: (characters you can’t seem to get right, genres with which you’re not very familiar, POVs you don’t like overmuch) Major characters would be difficult for me to get right, but that’s not to say I couldn’t try. I’ve not written much smut or very dark stuff, so romance, fluff or a little bit of humour is probably my thing? Also, so far, I’ve kept my setting in England. I couldn’t do anything OC centric either.
    Favourite Themes/Genres/Characters to Write: I’m most comfortable writing in first person. I don’t really write in other POVs. Minor Characters too, and slightly forbidden romance?
    Your Writing Peeves: (Things that would make your eyes and fingers bleed to write)Probably most of the things people hate to read (Sirius’ sisters, Mary Sues, forgotten Marauders, etc. blah blah blah). They wouldn’t kill me but I wouldn’t say that I’d enjoy writing them.
    Warnings out of your comfort zone: I’m 14, if that gives you any idea. Of the top of my head, I suppose dub-con, non-con, mental disorders, SSP.
    Last edited by BrokenPromise; 10-11-2012 at 10:41 PM.
    [@Bannermaking] [@Poetry] [@Writing] [@Drabbling] [@Duelling]

Incredible Avvie and Beautiful banner for my Cotillion fic by Nadia/majestic_ginny!

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Snape Hates Me

Favourite Themes/Genres/Character/Pairing(s)/POVs: Something Marauder-centric, or post-Hogwarts would be my favourite. If it is post-Hogwarts, though, Iíd rather not have something entirely centred on the trio. James/Lily and Remus/Tonks are my favourite canon ships, but I also love rarepairs (as long as they donít contradict canon) and SSPs of all varieties. Having said that, I enjoy other canon ships and next-gen stuff too. It doesnít necessarily need to centre around a romance, either. Iím not fussy
    Prompt(s): Ummmm, I guess Iíll just give you some of my favourite songs to work with, and you can take anything you like from them. This might be quite a long list: Across the Universe, Blackbird, or Good Day Sunshine by the Beatles, Iím A Cuckoo by Belle and Sebastien, Itís oh so Quiet by Bjork, I Feel Free by Cream, She by Elvis Costello, Meadowlarks by Fleet Foxes, Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson, Sunny Afternoon by The Kinks, Tap at My Window, Ghosts or Youíre No God by Laura Marling, Smile by Nat King Cole, Blossom by Nick Drake, Faust Arp by Radiohead, I Think Ur A Contra by Vampire Weekend, and Keys by White Denim. I think thatíll do for nowÖ
    Preferred Rating Level: Fluffy bunnies are fine with me, as is professors-rated smut. Use whatever rating is needed for the story.
    Mood/Themes: While I do like D/A on occasion, Iíd rather have something happier for Christmas. Slightly sad or bittersweet would be fine, as I certainly donít mean that I only want fluff. Iíd just rather not get all angsty and sad over a fic at Christmas.
    Squicks: Iím comfortable with most things, but Dramione, Drinny and Snanyone-but-unrequited-Lily are off limits.
    Warnings out of your comfort zone: AU, EWE and book 7 disregarded

Your Writing Preferences

Limitations: Iíd struggle to write professors-rated anything, I think, as I generally donít do anything very smutty or dark. I doubt I could pull of 2nd person, and if Iím doing 1st person, Iíd probably have more luck getting into a female characterís head. Iíd be willing to try an SSP, but Iíve yet to write one that Iím happy with. I couldnít do a historical, mystery or AU fic by any stretch of the imagination.
    Favourite Themes/Genres/Characters to Write: Marauders are what I know best, I guess, and I also love writing Luna. However, Iíd give most characters a try. I tend to write fairly light-hearted stuff.
    Your Writing Peeves: As above, Snanyone, Dramione and Drinny.
    Warnings out of your comfort zone: AU, EWE and book 7 disregarded
    Avvie by majestic_ginny/Nadia. Banner by clabbert2102/Bella. Thank you both!

I write, I drabble, duel, beta and draw,
    I am a Hufflepuff to the core!

Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    And the prompts are OUT, my dears!

Now, just as a general reminder, this is a SECRET swap. Do NOT chat about your story with anyone but your beta or, if you need someone to plot hatch with in a pinch, me. You can set up a beta request, but you mustn't give away anything. I deeply urge you to use a beta outside of the participants of this exchange. Other SPEWers not involved in this swap are fine, and if you're not very familiar with your giftee, then working with someone who has worked with that person in the past might hold you in good stead.

Once again, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF MERLIN AND ALL HIS CROOKED TEETH tell me as soon as possible if you won't be able to complete your story on time or at all. The chances of me finding a pinch hitter are slim, and it will probably be me writing any pinch hits we might need. Your SPEW Monarch may be a ninja mod, but I can only do so much. The sooner I know, the sooner I can work with you and your timeline. Also, you have over TWO months to write this story. There really are no excuses to not complete it. If you write one hundred words per day, you have a 3k one-shot with a month to spare. I know all of you as writers can do better than that.

With that, happy writing, and I cannot wait to see what you all come up with.

Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    And, with our reveal list, I hereby call this swap to a close. Thank you all for your effort and your wonderful work, and you are now free to post your stories as you wish.