Thread: Minda Weasley

forspecial

Minda Weasley

(Author's note: This character has existed in my head for almost ten years now, and I finally feel accomplished enough as a writer to do something with her! I don't know how fan fiction like this is received since siblings of main characters can be far-fetched, even for an AU fic, so I welcome and encourage all constructive advice)

I'm terribly sorry that I haven't replied to your letters, I've barely had a spare moment to sit down and introduce myself. This penpal service is certainly time-consuming, especially for someone like me. I suppose the first thing that you should know about me (since the service already gave you my name) is that I am the mother to six wonderful, energetic and brilliant children, ranging in age from eighteen years old to four months. They're certainly a handful. My oldest daughter, Margaret, was born in 1997, when I was nineteen. She's a reserve Chaser for the Holyhead Harpies this year, after playing for Gryffindor at Hogwarts for five years. She's grown into a remarkable young woman.

None of the rest of my children are in Hogwarts yet; my husband and I waited quite a while in between our first and second child so that we could get our footing in our marriage and as adults and individuals, since we were so very young when Margaret was born. My husband, Fred, is one of the co-founders of the Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, a joke shop you may have been to in Diagon Alley. It's hard to miss! Anyway, we have three daughters and two sons besides Margaret: Emmaline, who is nearly ten; twins, Brian and John, who are five; Ruby, who is three; and finally Dora, who is four months old.

I've worked on the Third Floor of St. Mungo's as a resident Healer for about twelve years, taking care of people with potion and plant poisoning. It's undoubtably an interesting and rewarding job, and I've seen a lot of things in my time. Not too infrequently, I find myself treating victims of my husband's products. Sometimes being married to him is a little like having a seventh child!

I don't know if they enclosed my maiden name in your information, but I figure it will come up sometime, probably sooner rather than later! My nieces and nephews include James, Albus and Lily Potter, not least of all because their mother is also my husband's sister (I suppose we're creating a kind of family wreath this generation- Ha!). I've read the multitude of biographies about Harry, and in the several cases that I am mentioned, their information is complete! I don't know much about why I was separated before the attack, but I assume Dumbledore must have planned to move Harry as well, maybe the next day. It's unfortunate, as well as enlightening, I suppose, that Harry and my parents became as famous as they did, as it led to the wide publication of the fact that our mother was pregnant in her last months at Hogwarts. Student pregnancy is an incredibly hushed-up facet of Hogwarts life, but is certainly not as uncommon as it's made out to be, as most female students know. The availability of spells for concealment makes the male population rather uninformed, since they don't tend to gossip the way girls do when rumors start and the evidence may not appear underneath the individual in questions' robes.

I grew up without Harry, in a wizarding household. My guardian, Emmaline Vance, was killed the summer after I left Hogwarts in her home in London. She raised me well. I knew about Harry, and I missed him terribly, but I eventually grew to understand why I couldn't speak to him, especially after hearing Emmaline's reports of what my aunt and uncle were like. Magic was dangerous to him until he had to embrace it at the age of eleven. I met him for the first time in ten years in Diagon Alley, where I helped him shop for his first school supplies, and it was almost like we had never been apart.

I was close with Harry in school, sometimes interfering with his social life. My thirteen year old self didn't quite understand how devastatingly uncool it was to be looked after by your big sister, even if you are The Boy Who Lived!

I think that's enough to get us started with some conversation, don't you think? We're having Harry, Ginny and the kids over for tea this afternoon, and this letter is starting to feel just like a litany of information I'm trying to pass on. Please write soon!

Regards,
    Minda

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Alright, with Alternate Universe stories believability is always a big factor.

So first we have to deal with your character's origins. She is James and Lily's older child, and Lily got pregnant while at Hogwarts. What are anti-pregnancy spells like? Are there incantations? Potions? Would Lily, about to fight in a war, really do something so rash as to forget these precautions? Magical precautions are also probably much more accurate than wizarding ones.

Taking her away the day before is immensely suspicious. Your character doesn't know why, but it doesn't make sense. They were protected under a very strong spell, no one knew that Peter was the traitor. If your character existed, she should have died with James and Lily, or been discovered in the house at the same time.

Your character lived with Emmaline Vance. Why? Why didn't she live with Dursleys? Why didn't she or Emmaline demand that Harry live with them? Wouldn't hearing that the Dursleys are terrible be even more reason to insist that Harry live with them? "Magic was dangerous to him" is neither the first explanation Dumbledore gave (he would grow up with a hugely inflated ego) nor the actual explanation (he needed to live with a blood relative). It also doesn't make sense that she would grow up knowing who she is. As the Sister of the Boy Who Lived, she would probably also grow up petted and spoiled. Changing her identity would make more sense.

The instant bonding also makes no sense. Harry had suffered under eleven years of the Dursleys abuse. Why would he bond with a sister he didn't know and who had been treated well? If the blood magic is to work, then he also has to return to the Dursleys at least for a month every year. It doesn't make sense for them to be close.

Minda also doesn't really match Harry as a name.

There are a lot of AU stories with siblings to canon characters and they usually don't do very well. It also raises the question - what's the point? Harry is emotionally alone in the world, abandoned, and finds new family with the magical world and the Weasleys. If he has a living sister, the theme gets immensely diluted.

Also, it appears that you're telling the story from the end. Everything has already happened, unless your character just exists to be a Next Gen Mom. If you're writing a story about Minda and Harry going to Hogwarts, then you should rewrite the character introduction so that she's speaking as a thirteen year old.

Alex-Very helpful post-3 points to Hufflepuff
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

forspecial
    I appreciate the feedback. I haven't decided whether or not to write the story I associate with her yet or not, mostly for reasons mentioned above. She came into my head as a character when I was reading the books for the first time and never really left, and thought about introducing her to other people, since I love her so much.

Okay, first issue: I think that contraception in the wizarding world is something that isn't really talked about very much at all, especially not in school. I would consider that Lily is probably not totally innocent (she's super pretty and smart and sassy, there were suitors besides James and Snape, I'm sure), but she doesn't strike me as someone to experiment too much sexually, and I think she would surround herself with friends who were the same way, so they would have no reasons to know a lot of specific details about spells or potions to that effect. James, on the other hand, is a teenage boy. He's probably not concerned so much with that sort of thing as he as at being super desirable and a really good Chaser. By the time James and Lily really do get together in their seventh year, I think their relationship would be intense in the way a relationship is when you basically do a 180 in how you feel about someone. Things happen; there's a war raging outside the castle walls and everything is uncertain, they're both looking to taking an active role in fighting and they don't know how long they're going to last. As hormonal teenagers, they throw caution to the wind.

Minda's childhood is, in my mind, kind of ill-conceived, I agree. I've been having difficulties conceiving this particular part of her life for a long time (which may be a sign that she shouldn't exist, who knows?). I was on the boards about seven years ago with her and Emmaline was suggested to me as a caretaker, because she's an Order member who isn't particularly close to the Potter family, so it's a safe place to be, and she just kind of stuck in my head ever since.

As far as the Dursleys go, I started typing a response and realized that I was being stupid. Minda would have her mother's blood, and therefore living with her would support the charm that Lily's sacrifice gave to Harry. Duh. Maybe I'll change up her identity in some way, but she's endeared herself as the implausible Potter sister in my head. I'll need to think hard on that one.

Of course, she couldn't have also survived the attack if she was in the house with Harry, that would be absurd; two individuals surviving the Killing Curse on one night? Both of them toddlers? She is three at the time, which is preschool age. Perhaps she was at a playdate with a friend? I don't know.

Thanks for making me think more about this. I'll definitely be back with some revised background to make sure I'm not just forcing things into place to make it work the way I want it to.

And the story is post-Voldemort. It's only about half-formed in my head at this point, so I won't divulge any details that may turn out to be stupid or cut later :P

Seth Malfoy
    Minda also doesn't really match Harry as a name.
    While I agree that most parents follow, for lack of a better word, themes with naming their kids, it isn't always the case. I have a friend named Eric who has a sister named Lillian.

I also think that you need to work a bit of Minda's childhood.

What are the names of your chilren?

How did you tell Harry you were his sister and what did he do?

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Did you go Horcrux hunting or did you stay behind?

Beautifulamazingperfect banner by BrokenPromise!

BACK FROM HIATUS!

forspecial
    What are the names of your children?
    My children, from oldest to youngest, are Margaret, Emmaline, Brian, John, Ruby and Dora.

How did you tell Harry you were his sister and what did he do?
    Interesting story. Emmaline dropped me off in Diagon Alley to meet Harry and Hagrid at Gringotts. As a thirteen year old, I basically just scuffed my feet and said it! At that point in his adventure, I think Harry was so stunned by everything around him and overloaded with knowledge that it didn't quite hit him for a while. He just kind of accepted it blindly and went along! After a while, though, he started to ask questions and seemed really genuinely upset that I'd never tried to contact him. It was an emotional afternoon.

Did you go Horcrux hunting or did you stay behind?
    The Christmas holidays of Harry's sixth year, he pulled me aside and told me what was going on in Dumbledore's lessons. Learning about Horcruxes was shocking and repulsive on an incredibly human level, but I was no stranger to Voldemort's capabilities. Shortly after Sirius died, he came to me upset and told me what he'd learned about the prophecy... I understand my brother's hero complex very well, and I knew then what he was meaning to do. Things snowballed, and I wanted dearly to go with him to protect him, or talk him out of going, but when Harry, Ron and Hermione left I was about five months along with Margaret. A child meant staying home and safe and fighting the good fight from the sidelines. I did what I could with Potterwatch and tried to stay under the radar, with my ears always pricked for news of Harry. It was an extraordinarily stressful time in my life.