Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anorexia in the Wizarding World

Ebil Minion Ravenclaw
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch

Anorexia in the Wizarding World

In one of my plot bunnies, the main character has anorexia. How do you think the Healers would treat it? And how do you think the Weasleys would react to one of the grandkids having anorexia? Thank you for the help!
    On hiatus for a little while
    Photobucket

This slice of pure awesomeness was made by majestic_ginny. And the avvie (another slice of awesomeness) was made by Broken_Promise.

AND...I'm an ebil minion.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I'm not sure the Healers would treat it much differently to how it's treated in real life. They might try creating potions to make someone hungry, but that's not going to cure anything only make the sufferer more disgusted with themselves and try to control their hunger/weight possibly by purging.

As Molly is a character who sees her role as the provider of food, and constantly nagged Harry to eat 'because he was thin', I think she would have a problem with this. I don't think she'd deal with it at all well, and would probably think anorexia could be cured by a nice big meal. I'm not sure Ginny would understand, either, although it's very possible that she'd have seen something similar in the Quidditch world because weight watching - or at least diet control - could be an issue.

For someone who might have more understanding, perhaps look to Fleur - which could make an interesting story point. I know she's beautiful and appears to have no body issues, but it's not necessarily about losing wght but about having control. Hermione also, although I think she'd try and be very 'logical' about it. Hermione has never struck me as having a body image problem, so it's possible she'd think whoever it was to be silly until she reads up about it.

Hope this helps

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    I agree with Carole. The healers, they might have a different way of treating it.

Ginny, has never really cared about her body image, so I'd expect she'd be concerned about this.

~Nidhi
    [
    Amazing Avvie by Nadia and Beautiful Banner by BP!

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Ginny, has never really cared about her body image, so I'd expect she'd be concerned about this.
    Well, we don't know that. In fact, she probably was because she thought it would make Harry like her more. :/

I am 13, so my mom is panicked that I'll be "influenced" by other kids. Whenever I so much as skip breakfast, she immediately freaks out and starts trying to stuff me with food. Parents always seem to be worried about this, haha :P

A while ago, my friend started to go anorexic because she was concerned about her body weight. There was really nothing I could say to change her mind, and it scared me. But eventually her parents found out and got her treated.

Other than family reactions, I really don't know anything about this. 0_o

Beautifulamazingperfect banner by BrokenPromise!

BACK FROM HIATUS!

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie
    I am 13, so my mom is panicked that I'll be "influenced" by other kids. Whenever I so much as skip breakfast, she immediately freaks out and starts trying to stuff me with food. Parents always seem to be worried about this, haha :P
    Same :P My mum does the same.
    ~Nidhi
    [
    Amazing Avvie by Nadia and Beautiful Banner by BP!

Time Traveler Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Well, also, I think that the Healers would probably give her nutrient potions and stuff to start making her/him healthy again. And definitely a psychiatric healer would be involved.

Also, for the believability of it, if it's next gen, I think it would be highly probable. The generation, especially the Potters, have a lot of pressure on them because of their parents and whatnot. They could start to feel that they aren't good enough, and then it starts to spiral out of control.

But, as Croll said, how would it go so long without being noticed? (unless it's during Hogwarts?)

Ellie
    Last edited by iMusic17; 08-14-2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: AN IDEA! DING1
    my page
    Beautiful avvie by Nadia (magestic_ginny), and banner by TM_Wandstick.

No matter what anyone tells you, words and ideas can change the world.
    (The Dead Poets Society)

Ellie

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    But, as Croll said, how would it go so long without being noticed?
    The Potters/Weasleys seem to be, for the most part, very doting parents. I doubt that it would go unnoticed for very long.

Beautifulamazingperfect banner by BrokenPromise!

BACK FROM HIATUS!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Uh, I never said it would go unnoticed. What I said was that most of them wouldn't understand it - especially Molly because she is the 'provider-of-hearty-food'.

Anorexia isn't about weight loss - although it might be to begin with. It's about control of yourself when you don't have any in the other aspects of your life.

Carole
    Last edited by Equinox Chick; 08-14-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

gryffseeker
    I really don't think that any of the characters we've grown to know and love would have a problem with it but future generations? maybe.
    I belive the healers would try using spells to fix it. They could try erasing the memory of the origonal thought process that led to it or a reliable, spellwork, version of hypnotism. With wands the possibilities are endless!

Ebil Minion Ravenclaw
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch
    Oh wow. Taking all of this in. Lily Luna is the anorexic one. I think it will start her fifth year, as the pressure of OWLs sets in, so Harry and Ginny might not see it at first. I agree about Molly thinking that one big meal will fix it at first, but later she would be more understanding. It'll be Albus' final year. How long do you think it'll take him to notice if he and Lily are in the same House (Gryffindor)?
    On hiatus for a little while
    Photobucket

This slice of pure awesomeness was made by majestic_ginny. And the avvie (another slice of awesomeness) was made by Broken_Promise.

AND...I'm an ebil minion.