Thread: A curious conundrum about Quirrel

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    The Giant Spider is Hagrid's... Friend?!?
    EADA Benjamin Stone's office (having somehow jumped back to the early 90s)

A curious conundrum about Quirrel

I am very confused. I just reread and rewatched the first Harry Potter, and Quirrel intrigues me.

When we first meet him, he actually shakes Harry's hand (pg 70 of American version), but later it says that Quirrel could not bare to touch Harry's skin because of the protection set by his mother. So, how could he shake Harry's hand?

Another question- we know from all the books that when a new teacher is taken on, they announce it at the feast. But Quirrel was never announced, and Percy knew Quirrel (at least, I gather that since he seemed impressed that Harry also knew him). Plus, on page 71, Hagrid says Quirrel is scared of his subject and his students- but how would he know? The DADA job is supposed to be cursed, and Dumbleodre even said a teacher has never lasted more than a year since he refused the post to Lord Voldemort. So, was Quirrel a teacher before Harry came as part of DADA? Is it possible that a teacher can teach more than a year in that subject, but not have them consecutive? (Hagrid did say that Quirrel took a year off to get some experience).

I also wonder if Dumbledore knew he was practically giving Voldemort the DADA job...

Just musing.
    Banner by the opaleye and avvie by me

Ebil Minion Ravenclaw
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch
    POTTERMORE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

Quirrell originally taught Muggle Studies and then took a year off to learn about the Dark Arts and meets Voldemort. He gets taken over by Voldie after the break-in at Gringotts. Also got some of this information from the Lexicon.
    On hiatus for a little while
    Photobucket

This slice of pure awesomeness was made by majestic_ginny. And the avvie (another slice of awesomeness) was made by Broken_Promise.

AND...I'm an ebil minion.

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    When we first meet him, he actually shakes Harry's hand (pg 70 of American version), but later it says that Quirrel could not bare to touch Harry's skin because of the protection set by his mother. So, how could he shake Harry's hand?
    He wasn't trying to harm Harry when he shook his hand in the Leaky Cauldron. When he was trying to take the Stone, however, he was trying to kill him.

I also wonder if Dumbledore knew he was practically giving Voldemort the DADA job...
    That would be quite ironic, but I don't think he knew. Who would suspect p-poor, s-studdering Q-Quirell?

Beautifulamazingperfect banner by BrokenPromise!

BACK FROM HIATUS!

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppermint Toads
    He wasn't trying to harm Harry when he shook his hand in the Leaky Cauldron. When he was trying to take the Stone, however, he was trying to kill him.
    Also, since Voldemort wasn't possessing him at that point, I doubt it would've had the same effect. I always assumed that the only reason Quirrell couldn't touch Harry was because Voldemort was sharing his body.
    Eliza

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    Also, since Voldemort wasn't possessing him at that point, I doubt it would've had the same effect.
    This is very true, but Voldemort was posessing Quirrel even then. (Sorry, I have to be an annoying know-it-all real quick )

"He is with me wherever I go," said Quirrel quietly. "I met him when I traveled around the world.
    This implies that Quirrel's body was taken over by Voldemort while he was abroad. Also:

...Since then, I have served him faithfully, although I have let him down many times. He has had to be very hard on me." Quirrel shuddered suddenly. "He does not forgive mistakes easily. When I failed to steal the stone from Gringotts, he was most displeased......

......Harry was remembering his trip to Diagon Alley--how could he have been so stupid? He'd seen Quirrel there that very day, shaken hands with him in the Leaky Cauldron.

BACK FROM HIATUS!

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppermint Toads
    This implies that Quirrel's body was taken over by Voldemort while he was abroad.
    I don't think it does. He says he met Voldemort when he traveled around the world, not that he has been possessed by him since then.

Quirrell wasn't wearing the turban at the Leaky Cauldron (Well, he was in the film, but that's not really canon). How could Voldemort have been possessing him if he had nowhere to hide?
    Eliza

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    You make a good point But this raises another question: when did Voldemort possess Quirrel? Was it his punishment for failing to obtain the stone?

BACK FROM HIATUS!

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    The explanation I can give is that maybe the physical aspect of the possession hadn't happened yet. The day that Harry shook hands with Quirrell was the day that the break in happened. From SS, the chapter "The Man With Two Faces":

"When I failed to steal the stone at Gringotts, he was most displeases. He punished me... decided he would have to keep a closer watch on me..."
    I believe that the punishment and keeping the closer watch is when the physical mutation/possession took place. I'm not exactly sure how, there is information on Pottermore about how the possession worked, but I am still unsure how the physical mutation happened. But anyways, because the physical mutation took place after the handshake, I think that is why nothing happened.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    The Giant Spider is Hagrid's... Friend?!?
    EADA Benjamin Stone's office (having somehow jumped back to the early 90s)
    Thanks!!!! This has really cleared that up for me.
    Banner by the opaleye and avvie by me