Thread: Azkaban

Second Year Gryffindor
    Beset by Owls

Azkaban

Hello!

I've got several questions about Azkaban for my current fic, and I haven't read the books in a really, really long time, so my knowledge of anything HP is pretty shaky, to be honest. Anyway:

1. Can anyone visit prisoners? Do they have to be a certain age? Must they prove their identity in some way?

2. How do you get to Azkaban? I know it's an island, but does the visitor have to work out their journey or does the prison have a ferry system for visitors?

3. Do minors still go to Azkaban if they've committed crimes? Are their sentences reduced because they are minors? What about good behavior; is that a thing?

4. After Harry defeats Voldemort, does Azkaban still employ the Dementors? If not, does the prison simply employ human guards now? Would it be considered AU if a Next-Gen fic still had Dementors in Azkaban?

Thanks!

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    1. Can anyone visit prisoners? Do they have to be a certain age? Must they prove their identity in some way?

In GoF, Sirius tells the trio that Crouch only got a special deathbed visit to his son because he was a high-ranking ministry official. If you have to be high up in the ministry to visit your dying child in Azkaban, then it doesn't seem like something that's done often or by many people. Maybe the restrictions wouldn't be as stringent during the next-gen era, but I don't know. I tend to think that the more severe the crime the prisoner committed, the stricter the rules about visitors are, but that's just my gut feeling.

I'd imagine you have to be of age to go alone, but again, just a gut feeling.

And it seems important for the visitor to prove their identity. This is a prison full of the Wizarding world's most dangerous criminals; they can't risk accidentally letting in an accomplice or something.

2. How do you get to Azkaban? I know it's an island, but does the visitor have to work out their journey or does the prison have a ferry system for visitors?

There's this passage from HBP:
    "...I've just come from Azkaban," Fudge had panted, tipping a large amount of water out of the rim of his bowler hat into his pocket. "Middle of the North Sea, you know, nasty flight" (HBP 8).
    This makes me think that there's no magical way on or off the island (which makes sense, given the fact that it's a prison). And if the Minister of Magic himself had to fly there, it doesn't seem like there's a ferry or a more comfortable way of traveling.

3. Do minors still go to Azkaban if they've committed crimes? Are their sentences reduced because they are minors? What about good behavior; is that a thing?

Harry certainly worries about this, but I don't think we actually see a minor being arrested anywhere in the series. Even Hagrid, who's believed to be responsible for killing a girl, isn't arrested, just expelled. Maybe underage wizards can be sent to Azkaban, but if they can, it's never seen in canon. As for good behavior, that doesn't seem like it would apply in Azkaban, at least under the dementors. The prisoners just seem to sit in their cells and yell incoherently, and how would the dementors be able to detect bad behavior?

4. After Harry defeats Voldemort, does Azkaban still employ the Dementors? If not, does the prison simply employ human guards now? Would it be considered AU if a Next-Gen fic still had Dementors in Azkaban?

I don't think it'd be considered AU, since the books never came out and said, "There are no dementors in Azkaban after Harry defeats Voldemort," but I would be extremely surprised if they remained. What with Kingsley, a member of the Order of the Phoenix and a great supporter of Dumbledore, as Minister, I think it would be highly out of character for him to allow the dementors to continue guarding the prison. I think human guards (or maybe some other type of magical creature?) would be much more likely.
    Eliza

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Hi, here are my answers.

Can anyone visit prisoners?

I’d say yes, although anyone who was not a relation would probably have to give a reason for their visit, and I’d expect that the prisoner could refuse to see them.

Do they have to be a certain age?

Personally, I’d say no. Even a child could visit a family member, although I think that they would need to be accompanied by an adult.

Must they prove their identity in some way?

Definitely, in lots of ways I expect. Harry knows how Sirius escaped, and how Barty Crouch got out too. I’d expect the Ministry to take measures against polyjuice, invisibility, and anything else they can think of.

How do you get to Azkaban? I know it's an island, but does the visitor have to work out their journey or does the prison have a ferry system for visitors?

It’s an island in the middle of the North Sea. I’ve always assumed that it’s midway between Edinburgh and the entrance to the Skagerrak. As has been said, you fly, and it’s a long and uncomfortable flight.

Do minors still go to Azkaban if they've committed crimes? Are their sentences reduced because they are minors? What about good behaviour; is that a thing?

I’d say that in the improved, post-Voldemort magical world that minors (under-seventeen) wouldn’t be sent to Azkaban. It doesn’t look like they were even in the worst of times. An underage murderer might (possibly) be there, but less serious crimes would be dealt with differently.

After Harry defeats Voldemort, does Azkaban still employ the Dementors?

No, and here is why:

Quote Originally Posted by ” JKR Web chat on Bloomsbury.com.”
    Steph: Will Azkaban still use dementors?

J.K. Rowling: No, definitely not. Kingsley would see to that. The use of Dementors was always a mark of the underlying corruption of the Ministry, as Dumbledore constantly maintained.
    If not, does the prison simply employ human guards now?

Possibly. Personally, I went for the idea that the goblins were offered the contract. They’d love to keep wizards in prison, and the wizards would hate to be imprisoned by them. It’s an additional deterrent.

Would it be considered AU if a Next-Gen fic still had Dementors in Azkaban?

Given that it directly contradicts what JKR said in an interview, I’d say yes.

-N-

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    Can anyone visit prisoners?
    I'd expect only family would be allowed.

Certain Age?
    I doubt it

Must they prove their identity?
    Definatly, I'd expect. As Neil pointed out, Harry knows how Sirius and Crouch escaped.

Minors?
    I'd except not.

After Harry defeats Voldemort, does Azkaban still employ the Dementors?
    No, of course not

If not, does the prison simply employ human guards now?
    Possibly. Personally, I went for the idea that the goblins were offered the contract. They’d love to keep wizards in prison, and the wizards would hate to be imprisoned by them. It’s an additional deterrent.
    Haha. Love that idea. I agree with Neil on that

Would it be considered AU if a Next-Gen fic still had Dementors in Azkaban?
    Most likely yes.
    ~Nidhi
    [
    Amazing Avvie by Nadia and Beautiful Banner by BP!