Thread: Hogwarts Letter

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Searching for Neville's Toad

Hogwarts Letter

Does anyone know what date first-years get their Hogwarts letter?

Nidhi
    [
    Amazing Avvie by Nadia and Beautiful Banner by BP!

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Harry got his on his birthday (31 July) but the ols had been tryint to deliver it for a few days. I'd say sometime in the last week in July.

-N-

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    I think there's something on Pottermore which mentions in passing that students get their first letter on their birthday. However, this isn't supported by the books where Harry receives his first one before this date. Getting them on the student's birthday would pose a few problems for children born late in the summer as they'd have less time to buy supplies, and if the birthday thing applies to Muggleborns as well, families would have less time to come to terms with news.

Although both were written by Jo, I'd take the one from the books as it makes more sense logistically and fits in with when the other students receive theirs.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire At Dawn
    I think there's something on Pottermore which mentions in passing that students get their first letter on their birthday. However, this isn't supported by the books where Harry receives his first one before this date. Getting them on the student's birthday would pose a few problems for children born late in the summer as they'd have less time to buy supplies, and if the birthday thing applies to Muggleborns as well, families would have less time to come to terms with news.
    Obviously you can't link to it, but do you know what section this information is in? I don't remember there being anything on Pottermore about this. Now I'm curious! That would be a pretty big oversight on JKR's part.

Since the letter says, "We await your owl by no later than July 31," I'm inclined to think the letters would generally be sent out in the beginning or middle of July, to give people a bit of time to write back. If you count backward from Harry's birthday in PS/SS, it seems that Harry received his letter on July 24th.
    Eliza

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Thanks! This has been helpful.
    Pottermore?? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that...

Nidhi
    [

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Last week of July seems right...

Nidhi
    [

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    I honestly can't remember but do know for certain that it's there because I remember thinking that it was contradictory of what was in the books. It's only a passing reference so easy to miss. I'll have a look through the site to see if I can find it again.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!