Thread: Dementors' Kiss

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts

Dementors' Kiss

A question I've had floating around in my head for years is this:

What happens after you're kissed by a dementor?

I seem to recall Sirius (or actually it could have been Remus... I need to re-read PoA!) describing it as being 'worse than death', but not actually death.

It seems to be that you're left with just your body, perfectly functional, but without everything that makes you 'you'. Comparable to brain death perhaps?

But if your body still functions, what happens next? Are you just left to die? Or does the kiss in fact kill you?

As an example, what happened to Barty Crouch Jnr after Fudge allowed the dementors to administer the kiss? Did he die? I'm confused, canon seems to say that you don't die, but if that's the case then what happened to Barty afterwards?

The most logical answer is that you do in fact die, but I'm not sure that this is corroborated within canon.

Any help? Am I missing something?

Fenella x

Thanks to majestic_ginny/Nadia for my beautiful banner & avvie!
    'There's the silver lining I've been looking for...'

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    The Dementor's kiss sucks out your soul, leaving you as an empty shell of what you used to be. Whatever it is that makes you yourself is gone forever. It's worse than death because you are not living or dead, but somewhere in between. Scary...

Beautifulamazingperfect banner by BrokenPromise!

BACK FROM HIATUS!

First Year Gryffindor
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives
    I agree with Peppermint Toads that a person wouldn't die from the Dementor's Kiss and would just be left in a sort of catatonic state.

As for what happened to Barty Jr, I think he would probably be sent to St Mungo's after that and would possibly end up in the same ward as the Longbottoms (even though Harry didn't see him when he visited the next year, although it's not like he stuck around for a while). I don't think they would have sent him back to Azkaban since the Dementors would no longer have any interest in him and he might not be capable of feeding himself.
    Photobucket

GinnyPotter
    I agree with Julie and Hypatia.
    As for Barty Jnr, I think he would've died later.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Considering that the Dementor's Kiss sucks out the soul, and leaves the body alive but useless, it is probable that Barty Crouch junior died shortly thereafter, unless the Ministry, for some reason, does not allow the bodily death of those who have been given a Dementor's Kiss.

There is no one left to take care of his body - his mother and father are both dead, and he doesn't have any other canonical family.

If they go through the trouble of allowing a Dementor to Kiss him, I don't see why they wouldn't just let his body die as well... unless somehow that is considered inhumane. While the Killing Curse is Unforgivable, there are poisons that could kill someone just as easily. Even if they didn't grant his body a speedy passage to death, he would still starve (I think
    ).
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    So is the consensus that Barty would have been left to die?

Personally I don't think you'd last long without a soul anyway, not without some kind of life support, which obviously wouldn't be available.

Fenella

Thanks to majestic_ginny/Nadia for my beautiful banner & avvie!
    'There's the silver lining I've been looking for...'

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    He would have probably be transferred to St. Mungo's and given a life support for a while before having it eventually cut off when room was needed for new patients. And as for not being able to last long without a soul; your body is still functioning, but you don't have the ability to do the simplest of things such as feeding or cleaning yourself. That's left t the Healers and possibly the life support.
    Again, this particular post is just an educated guess since JKR doesn't say much on it.

Beautifulamazingperfect banner by BrokenPromise!

BACK FROM HIATUS!