Thread: ARAMAIC Language Help

ElectronicQuillster

ARAMAIC Language Help

A NOTE TO THOSE WHO WANT WORDS TRANSLATED:

I'm not gonna lie to you: online translators should not be held as the iron-clad rules when it comes to translating.

Remember that you might need to give a bit of background in order for someone to give you the best possible translation. (For example, verbs can change drastically when conjugated into different tenses. Also, many adjectives have masculine and feminine forms. If you give a translator a bit of context, he or she might tell you that a slang word would work best.)

Example:
    I need to know how to say, "Please get over here immediately." This is Harry talking to Ron through the Floo.
    A NOTE TO TRANSLATORS:

Anyone can use Google to find an online translator. There's nothing wrong with using these Internet tools, but translators should have at least a little knowledge of the language. (You don't have to be a native speaker, by any means.)

Please note: if you're not 100% comfortable with your translating skills, please state that.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    EDIT: I found my spell! I decided to use Latin and it turned out well. Thanks anyway!

Thanks for the new thread, Captain Mar!

I would like to create a spell in Aramaic, and here's why.

The HPL has this to say about the Killing Curse:
    Avada Kedavra:
    Aramaic: "adhadda kedhabhra" - "let the thing be destroyed".
    NOTE: Abracadabra is a cabbalistic charm in Judaic mythology that is supposed to bring healing powers. One of its sources is believed to be from Aramaic avada kedavra, another is the Phoenician alphabet (a-bra-ca-dabra).
    And Wikipedia says this:
    The name of this curse is related to the popular "mumbo-jumbo" magical phrase Abracadabra, which is actually of Aramaic origin: avra (or abara) means "I will create"; k'davra means "as I speak". Thus, abracadabra, "I will create as I speak". Similarly, avada means "I will destroy". So, in Rowling's world, the killing curse literally means "I will destroy as I speak", a pretty fair description of its effects.
    A footnote in some editions of the Vietnamese translations of the Harry Potter books state a false etymology: "avatar cadaver": see [1].
    Also, Romanian translations use Abracadabra as Avada Kedavra. The reasons for this is believed to be from the latin word cadaver, which can mean corpse.
    During an audience interview at the Edinburgh Book Festival (15 August 2004) Rowling said:
    "Does anyone know where avada kedavra came from? It is an ancient spell in Aramaic, and it is the original of abracadabra, which means “let the thing be destroyed”. Originally, it was used to cure illness and the “thing” was the illness, but I decided to make it the “thing” as in the person standing in front of me. I take a lot of liberties with things like that. I twist them round and make them mine." [2]
    I would like to create a spell that means "Let the thing be loved" or "I will love as I speak" or something like that. The Killing Curse needs hate behind it, while this new spell needs love. I sort of want it to be the opposite of the Killing Curse. I suppose "Abara kedavra" might work but I want something. . . more.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I haven't had much luck with online translators!
    Thanks!
    ~Gina

rachelprue
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmariam
    EDIT: I found my spell! I decided to use Latin and it turned out well. Thanks anyway!

Thanks for the new thread, Captain Mar!

I would like to create a spell in Aramaic, and here's why.

The HPL has this to say about the Killing Curse: And Wikipedia says this:
    I would like to create a spell that means "Let the thing be loved" or "I will love as I speak" or something like that. The Killing Curse needs hate behind it, while this new spell needs love. I sort of want it to be the opposite of the Killing Curse. I suppose "Abara kedavra" might work but I want something. . . more.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I haven't had much luck with online translators!
    Thanks!
    ~Gina
    I don't know if this helps at all, but there is a little bit of Ancient Hebrew behind the words abracadabra.

In the Hebrew Bible, God says "ebra kedebra" which roughly translated to "I will create all that was said."

Instead of going with an Aramaic tone, why not turn to Hebrew?

In Hebrew, love is "ahava".

"I will love as I speak" would be "Ehahov keshomer". "Let the thing be loved" would be "Neahov et hadavar". Maybe to make it sound prettier you could say something like "Love all that was said" "Ahava Kedebra" or something.

I hope this helps!