Thread: London, the West End, Music Schools

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?

London, the West End, Music Schools

So I am writing a one shot about Cho in Muggle London after the War and I have a bit of a random question...

Does anyone know or know how I could find out, what was playing in London theaters that year?

In my story Cho is just wandering around London, going to museums, trying to feel alive again. One of the things that I considered having her do is going to a musical. ... The problem is I have no idea what was playing on the West End in 2001... and I have no idea how I would find out.

If anyone has any ideas about that, or would like to dispute my assertion that Cho might go to a musical, just to escape, please let me know.

Oh, I'm also still looking for a neighborhood that Cho might live in in London in 2001. I imagine her being half-blood with a Muggle-born father, and Muggle cousins. She isn't working, but might be sharing a flat with a cousin in lieu of living completely alone. She would need her own room if that is the case though. She does have some savings in Galleons. Her mother is still alive and willing to give her some money as well.

Third, I posted in the British thread, and I need to investigate music schools, but if anyone knows which music schools have really good piano programs (she's going to meet a piano player) also, please post and tell me.

Thank you!
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by AidaLuthien View Post
    So I am writing a one shot about Cho in Muggle London after the War and I have a bit of a random question...

Does anyone know or know how I could find out, what was playing in London theaters that year?

In my story Cho is just wandering around London, going to museums, trying to feel alive again. One of the things that I considered having her do is going to a musical. ... The problem is I have no idea what was playing on the West End in 2001... and I have no idea how I would find out.

If anyone has any ideas about that, or would like to dispute my assertion that Cho might go to a musical, just to escape, please let me know.
    I can't link to it, but if you just google West End 2001, it comes up with a few sites that summarize what was playing that year.

I don't think it's out of character for Cho. I am curious, though, if it's important to the story that she's in the Muggle world. It could be kind of fun to come up with a Wizarding alternative to the West End, if you want to go that direction. I tend to find it a little jarring when characters do activities that are very characteristic of Muggles. As long as you justify why she's there, though, I don't think it should be a problem.

I don't have answers to your other two questions off the top of my head, but good luck with your story!
    Eliza

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    It is important that she's in the Muggle world since this story tries to answer how she met her Muggle husband. So as far as going to the West End, I just see her doing a few tourist-y things because she's not from London (in my story) and she's trying to feel more "human" after the war and get over the things that happened to her.

I tried West End 2001 but I got a bunch of things about a movie??
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Aida - Look at some of the big shows like 'Les Miserables' - that's been running for years. Basically if you google any of the current big musicals, then you should be able to find out how long they've been going.

~Carole~

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    As long as there's a reason for her being in Muggle London, as I said, it sounds totally fine. It definitely sounds like you've thought it out. I've just read too many stories about Harry and Ginny's honeymoon in Disneyworld not to be a little apprehensive when people mention Muggle settings, haha!

If plain "West End" didn't work, then googling West End shows, West End musicals, West End plays, etc. etc. should. A quick poke around the Wikipedia entry for West End will give you basic information about what was playing when. I think your best bet is, like Carole said, to just go with something that's pretty well-known and ubiquitous, like Les Mis or Phantom, both of which were playing in 2001.
    Eliza

Ebil Minion Ravenclaw
    Impersonating the Bloody Baron
    I know that this is your story but not mine, but what if Cho's cousin, who she can be sharing a room/flat/house with, notices that she's a bit down and decides to take her out to a musical.

As for what they'd watch, I know that Phantom and Les Mis and such are definitely 2001, but they're probably very popular. I know that for some shows you have to get tickets a year or more in advance. You could look for a less well known play in the West End or downgrade to somewhere else in London Theatreland or outside it.

Sorry that's not much, but hope it's helpful.
    [@Bannermaking] [@Poetry] [@Writing] [@Drabbling] [@Duelling]

Incredible Avvie and Beautiful banner for my Cotillion fic by Nadia/majestic_ginny!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Being Saved by Our Guardian Anglia
    Aida, Google "a summary of the west end shows in 2001." There's one result and it looks helpful. And I was in London somewhere between 2002 and 2005 and we went to two West End shows, at least one of which I'm pretty sure we got tickets to day of by waiting in line at a large kiosk...thing, and both of which seem to have been kind of popular based on what Wikipedia has to say. Those are only vague recollections because I was quite young and had no idea what was going on, but apparently it is possible.

No help on London neighborhoods or music schools, sorry. London still baffles me.

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Does this theatre have a website? If so, are there any links to information about past showings from previous years?

Beautifulamazingperfect banner by BrokenPromise!

BACK FROM HIATUS!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    BrokenPromise I think getting a ticket for most west end shows is pretty easy. Long running shows rarely run at full capacity, and you can buy tickets, as Minna says, from kiosks in Leicester Square or Convent Garden. If it's the first run of the show, and it had amazing reviews/a famous actor in then it will probably sell out. But then if it's done really well, then it will move to another theatre or the run will be extended.

I don't like musicals, but for theatres you could go to and look at past productions of plays to see if any fit, there's the Donmar Warehouse in Covent Garden, or The Almeida in Islington (so not the West End). However London also has several pub theatres--The King's Head is one which I'm pretty sure has been around a while, but you can always make one up.

Peppermint Toads--You are not allowed to post links to outside sites on MNFF, which is why Minna suggested googling rather than posting a direct link.
    Banner by Minna.