Thread: Let's Meet the Mods Again! - 2012 Edition

Slytherin Mom Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Dragon vs. Little Wooden Stick

Let's Meet the Mods Again! - 2012 Edition

As members, perhaps the only contact you ever have with the moderators and admins is when you see our names on an email from the archives when you submit a chapter. If you don't submit to the archives, you may not have much, if any direct contact with any of us unless you have a problem or issue.

So, who are we? We are just like you. We read the books, we read stories on the archives and fell in love with the HP world. We made the decision one day to become more involved and that led us to one day apply to become moderators.

So, in light of that, here is a small glimpse into our ordinary lives.

Here dwells discussion of the fanfiction kind,
    Where peeves and faux pas tickle the mind.
    A certain babe began this particular thread
    (not sure what was going through her head)
    And asked a question that made us blush,
    ‘Is smut necessary or just fleshy mush?’
    Last edited by the opaleye; 10-21-2012 at 07:56 AM.
    Avvie is pic of my number one fans, Rielly and Mason! xoxo

Banner by SimplyBeing
    Read The Forum Rules! They're Etched in Stone . . .
    KC - My Friend Through Modship - Rest in Peace. <3

Slytherin Mom Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Dragon vs. Little Wooden Stick
    Name: Nicole
    Birthday: 3/1/75
    House: Slytherin
    What Categories you Mod: Dramione and Draco/OC
    What Languages you Speak: English and I am working on American Sign Language
    Preferred Country to Rule Over: Whichever will take me in!
    Boggart: Scorpions and spiders
    Patronus: probably a German Shepherd
    Villainous Alter-Ego: A four year-old who hasn't taken a nap
    Major Character Flaw: I get emotionally attached
    Fanfic Pet Peeves: I mod Dramione . . . How about how Draco and Hermione find themselves head boy and head girl, go from hating each other to being in love and having lots of s*x?
    How long you've been a part of MNFF: 2006
    The first fanfic you fell in love with: either It's Witchcraft by Nicole_Riddle or Born the Day You Kissed Me (I forgot the author!)
    Favorite Character: to write? Draco or Ron. To read? Ron or Draco . . . sometimes Harry.
    Favorite Ships: Dramione is my delusional favorite, Ron/Hermione is my OTP.
    Reason I Mod: It's fun to click the, "Delete this chapter?" button in the queue! Oh, wait - honest answer? I like knowing that perhaps I might be allowing someone to recognize their talent for writing and embrace it, turning it into something amazing.

-Then the typical favorites- (I hate this part, hehe.)

Bands/Artists: 80's and 90's stuff, showtunes/Broadway, really anything with a beat that you can tap your foot to.
    TV Shows: Glee, Hawaii Five-O (new one), Sons of Anarchy (not for kids, guys!), Hells Kitchen, Once Upon a Time, Grimm, Breakout Kings, etc.
    Movies: *whimper* HP, Clerks, Dogma, The Breakfast Club, the Twilight series (yeah, my secret is out.), Chronicles of Narnia, Pearl Harbor, Star Wars (all), ET, Sleeping Beauty . . . I'll pause here and collect my thoughts.
    Books: HP, most anything by John Saul, Conversations with God, Marley and Me.
    Food: Most any snack goodies put out by Nabisco. turkey, Charlie's Grilled Subs <3
    Guilty Pleasure: pretzel bites with cheese sauce (ZOMG!!)
    Last edited by NikkiSue; 10-15-2012 at 05:19 AM.
    Avvie is pic of my number one fans, Rielly and Mason! xoxo

Banner by SimplyBeing
    Read The Forum Rules! They're Etched in Stone . . .
    KC - My Friend Through Modship - Rest in Peace. <3

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Name: Terri
    Birthday: April 18th
    House: Hufflepuff
    What Categories you Mod: Marauder Era
    What Languages you Speak: English
    Preferred Country to Rule Over: I am quite happy with my little apartment!
    Boggart: Spiders
    Patronus: Wolf
    Villainous Alter-Ego: My evil muse
    Major Character Flaw: I tend to procrastinate and take on too much.
    Fanfic Pet Peeves: In fanfics - writers who don't take the time to verify canon facts as opposed to movie only things.
    How long you've been a part of MNFF: 2008
    The first fanfic you fell in love with: A Little More Time by Pallas
    Favorite Character: Sirius Black
    Favorite Ships: Canon ships with the exception of Sirius and me.
    Reason I Mod: My reason for becoming a mod is to give back something to this community that has given me so much. I, also, hope that I can help young writers to improve their writing and to encourage them into continuing to write.

-Then the typical favorites-
    Bands/Artists:Matchbox Twenty, Goo Goo Dolls, different country, just depends on my mood.
    TV Shows: Doctor Who,
    Movies: I have this thing with disaster movies. I just love them. Lord of the Rings, HP, The Hunger Games and Twilight.
    Books:HP, LOTR, The Hunger Games, Twilight, anything by Nora Roberts, Elizabeth Lowell, and a few others.
    Food: Let's see, food that is "good for you" - I love pork, and recently discovered that I like yogurt. Bad foods, pickle flavored potato chips.
    Guilty Pleasure: I'd rather lay on the couch and watch Doctor Who than do anything, it seems I can find justification to not go to the store, or clean, or do just about anything, just go be able to lay on the couch curled up watching it.
    Last edited by babewithbrains; 10-30-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: fixing coding
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Name: Jessica/Jess/SPEW Monarch/Ebil Empress of Ravenclaw
    Birthday: 2nd June
    House: Ravenclaw, though every other sorting quiz puts me in Slytherin with an occasional side of Claw
    What Categories you Mod: Dark/Angst is my main one, but usually just whatever needs to be modded
    What Languages you Speak: English (obviously, à la Snape), mediocre Spanish, and ever-dwindling French
    Preferred Country to Rule Over: One where only people I invite can live there. It would be a small nation, indeed.
    Boggart: A sink full of dishes. Possibly my boss, but most likely some sort of domestic slavery.
    Patronus: A couch potato.
    Villainous Alter-Ego: The Master
    Major Character Flaw: Caring too much about the things I do care about but not at all about the things I don't.
    Fanfic Pet Peeves: Bad grammar from people who should know better, the humour category in general, using AU to un-kill someone's favourite character, Snapewives, characters spouting ridiculously American things (I don't mind Americanisms, but Ron saying, "What up, dude," will make me stab you in an uncomfortable place), self-insertion, gross pairings, like old!McGonagall/younger student and Snanyone, semicolon abuse, authors who don't respond to in-depth reviews at least to say thank you, people who read and read and read stories and never ever review, and I'm going to stop this list now before it's longer than the rest of this thing.
    How long you've been a part of MNFF: nearly three years
    The first fanfic you fell in love with: Drowning, Not Waving by Equinox Chick and Burning for Revenge by the opaleye (can't remember which I read first)
    Favorite Character: usually Albus Potter, but generally whichever one I'm currently writing. I'm still nursing a crush on Michael Corner.
    Favorite Ships: I hate this question. I like a great many ships, but I more like taking odd pairings and seeing if I can't convince myself and others that they can be done. I think I'm fairly successful at this. But I mostly deal in minor character/minor character and major character/minor character. I tend to stray away from major canon ships, as most of them bore me by this point.
    Reason I Mod: I owe so much to my very first mod, Hannah!Bob/coolh5000. Had I not had the chance to work with her on my very first fanfic (The Vindication of James Potter), I probably wouldn't be here. I saw how much influence that mods have on aspiring writers and felt like it was something I could do to give back to the community that essentially gave me the drive to write as much as I do.

Bands/Artists: Adele, Aerosmith, Matchbox Twenty, Soundgarden, and some good old fashioned Backstreet Boys
    TV Shows: Veronica Mars, Doctor Who, Torchwood, Sherlock, South Park, Daria, Star Trek (any of them), House, Bones, Fringe, The Daily Show, Scrubs. I hate reality tv so, so much.
    Movies: Any Batman movie in existence, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Mulan, Star Trek anything
    Books: Besides Harry Potter...The Hunger Games (!), trashy romance novels, and that is pretty much it. Classic literature makes me want to boil my eyeballs in acid.
    Food: Fried rice, kung pao chicken, mac and cheese, instant noodles, Greek salad with Italian dressing (there may be some sort of food culture sin involved in that, but idc), strawberry frozen yogurt. Sseriously, if I never ate anything else again besides these things,I would be down with that.
    Guilty Pleasure: Copious amounts of Cherry Coke. Seriously, I may be comprised of about 1/10th Cherry Coke by now.
    Last edited by mudbloodproud; 07-03-2012 at 10:17 PM.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Ultimate Cosmic Power Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Aunt Marge Makes A Better Blimpe...
    Name: Rosie
    Birthday: February 18th
    House: Hufflepuff
    What Categories you Mod: Sweeper
    What Languages you Speak: English, teeny bit of German
    Preferred Country to Rule Over: Madagascar as it's always safe from apocalypse simulations in games.
    Boggart: Spiders
    Patronus: Otter
    Villainous Alter-Ego: Roxy Black I guess, Evil moderator plotting to take over the world (according to some people)
    Major Character Flaw: Over-thinking and stressing to the point of illness.
    Fanfic Pet Peeves: Cliched plotlines. I've read a lot of fic over the years, if you're writing something, try and put an original spin on it!
    How long you've been a part of MNFF: 2004
    The first fanfic you fell in love with: No clue, too long ago. I'll recommend Daddy! by blondebouncingferret though.
    Favorite Character: Lily Potter
    Favorite Ships: Canon ships including Lily/Severus.
    Reason I Mod: MNFF has given me so much over the years, I'm delighted to be able to work at giving back and letting the magic live on. Literature is a way of escaping into another world, and I'm not ready to put the world of Potter down yet.

Bands/Artists: I'll pretty much listen to anything.
    TV Shows: Doctor Who, Merlin, Sherlock, Glee, Once Upon a Time, Smash, HIMYM, too many to list...
    Movies: 500 days of Summer, everything Disney, A Knight's Tale, (recent) Batman trilogy,
    Books: Hunger Games, Dragonriders of Pern, Anne Rice's Vampires, Stravaganza, Maureen Johnson's Shades of London and ANYTHING by John Green.
    Food: Chocolate. (What do you mean there's other kinds of food?)
    Guilty Pleasure: Probably musicals, but there's no need to be guilty about that. Sing and dance like no one's watching!
    Last edited by mudbloodproud; 07-03-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Queen of Foals Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    You're Fraternising with the Enemy!!!
    Name: Julia
    Birthday: November 22
    What Categories you Mod:
    What Languages you Speak: English and shonky French
    Preferred Country to Rule Over: Mirkwood
    Boggart: The Angels Take Manhattan
    Patronus: a pukeko
    Villainous Alter-Ego: Cersei Lannister
    Major Character Flaw: my passion
    Fanfic Pet Peeves: Silly nicknames and brushing over deaths of loved ones just to get two characters in bed together in as little time as possible
    How long you've been a part of MNFF: Since early 2009
    The first fanfic you fell in love with: Differences Aside by cassie123
    Favorite Characters: Harry, Hermione, Ron, Luna, and Dudley
    Favorite Ships: Harry/Hermione, Draco/Katie, Cho/Dudley, Ron/Hermione, Scorpius/Lily, Lavender/Blaise, and other fabulous rarepairs from fabulous authors
    Reason I Mod: It’s part of my plan to take over the known universe.

Bands/Artists: Coldplay, Foals, U2, Radiohead and many more
    TV Shows: Doctor Who, Misfits, Veronica Mars, Offspring, Lost and many more. Trust me, this list would outrun forever.
    Movies: Cabaret, LoTR, 10 Things I Hate About You, The Lion King, Jean de Florette, The Breakfast Club, Let The Right One In
    Books: Persuasion, The Mortal Engines Series, The Tomorrow Series, The Hunger Games, Atonement, The Left Hand of Darkness, Tamar, No Ordinary Sun, The Hobbit
    Food: anything made by my mum, self-saucing chocolate pudding, lasagne, doughnuts, Jaffa cakes, iced gems, Walnut Whips, Wagon Wheels, and sweetened condensed milk
    Guilty Pleasure: AU Dramione fics, bubbly pop music, one Justin Bieber song, dancing alone in my bedroom, singing in the car, tumblr, and ONTD

Lovely banner by Minna! Icon from toreadabook on lj.

Tveiter Tot Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Name: Ellie
    Birthday: June 17th
    What Categories you Mod:
    What Languages you Speak: English, and in the process of learning Spanish
    Preferred Country to Rule Over: Hmm ... I'd probably say Ireland. I love Ireland.
    Boggart: Ironically enough, snakes.
    Patronus: Probably a wolf ...
    Villainous Alter-Ego: Albus Potter
    Major Character Flaw: Stubbornness. Definitely.
    Fanfic Pet Peeves: Mostly bad SPaG, but when characters are way OOC it also makes it incredibly hard to focus. My other one is canon in Next Gen. It's hard to read a fic (even though I love Neville/Luna) where they have children.
    How long you've been a part of MNFF: Reading: two years. Writing (acceptably): about a year.
    The first fanfic you fell in love with: The Vindication of James Potter by ToBeOrNotToBeEbil.
    Favorite Character: Albus Potter. No question.
    Favorite Ships: Teddy/Victoire, James/Lily, Loulily, Albus Potter/anyone, Scorose, and Salazar/Helga.
    Reason I Mod: I mostly want to give back to this amazing site, but also to improve my writing and learn from all of the fics on the site.

Bands/Artists: Boyce Avenue, Train, The Script, Parachute, Coldplay, Five for Fighting, Fun, and Mumford and Sons.
    TV Shows: New Girl, The Mentalist, The Big Bang Theory, CSI, Law and Order: SVU, Criminal Minds, and Glee.
    Movies: Remember the Titans, Ten Things I Hate About You, The Lion King, Mean Girls, and the Chronicles of Narnia.
    Books: Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, Percy Jackson, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Downriver, and Peak.
    Food: Guacamole, frosting, watermelon, Dr. Pepper, chocolate milk, and pancakes.
    Guilty Pleasure: Next Gen. fics, tumblr, sleep, One Direction, and fanfiction.
    *~iBeta~**~iWrite~* *~iPoet~* *~iDrabble~* *~iDuel~*
    Beautiful avvie by Nadia (magestic_ginny), and credit for the lovely banner goes to Pooja.

I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life.
    (Neil ~ The Dead Poets Society)

Ellie

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    Name: Maple
    Birthday: March 1, 1993
    House: Gryffindor
    What Categories you Mod: Next-Gen
    What Languages you Speak:English and French
    Preferred Country to Rule Over: Canada and Russia – huge landmasses, plus access to the majority of the North.
    Boggart: I’m really not sure...
    Patronus: Probably some sort of large dog
    Villainous Alter-Ego: Oh, I don’t need an alter-ego to be villainous
    Major Character Flaw: I tend to overextend myself. I also am very, very stubborn.
    Fanfic Pet Peeves: General out of characterness or changing people’s ages around.
    How long you've been a part of MNFF: Two years
    The first fanfic you fell in love with: Consequentially Yours by Nyruserra and Dance is the Hidden Language of the Soul by Soap. Consequentially Yours remains one of my favourites to this day.
    Favorite Character: Hermione and Lily Luna
    Favorite Ships: Hermione/Oliver, Hermione/Remus, Hermione/Charlie, Lily Luna/Scorpius, Lily/Louis, Lily/Cormac, Lily/Neville, Roxanne/Oliver
    Reason I Mod: I like being in the loop Actually, it is excellent preparation for a life of giving constructive criticism and praise where it is due.
    -Then the typical favorites-siggghhh
    Bands/Artists: Van Gogh...or wait, you mean musical artists? Beethoven, Chopin, Mendelssohn (of the Felix variety), Tchaikovsky, Liszt, Gottschalk (newly discovered!), Berlioz, Debussy, Fauré, Luther, Dvorak, Norton, Handel, Purcell, Clementi, Vivaldi, Bartok, Holst, a variety of jazz, rag, and blues composers, John Williams, Andrew Lloyd Webber, and when I’m not listening to “classical” music, I listen to country
    TV Shows: Bones, New Girl, mostly stuff that isn’t running on TV anymore
    Movies:Anything with Jackie Chan, Penelope, Ice Princess, the Princess Bride, the Hunger Games
    Books: The Hunger Games, Outlander series, Inkheart trilogy
    Food: meatloaf, popcorn, vegetables, fruit, potatoes
    Guilty Pleasure: singing in my car, recording myself playing piano/guitar and singing
    Last edited by Maple_and_PheonixFeather; 10-18-2012 at 02:40 AM.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Standing in Line for Gilderoy Lockhart's Autograph
    Name: Soraya/Sorayers/Ebil Lieutenant
    Birthday: 17th October
    House: Ravenclaw
    Location: East London (in the same town where the 2012 Olympics were held )
    What Categories you Mod: Same-Sex Pairings
    What Languages you Speak: English, schoolgirl French, atrocious Bengali, broken Arabic, movie!Hindi and I can sing in Spanish
    Preferred Country to Rule Over: Ummmmmm. I would be happy to rule over Boston, Massachusetts, mostly because of the beautiful accents
    Boggart: Things with lots of dark spots or holes on them. *shudders*
    Patronus: A lion or a tiger.
    Villainous Alter-Ego: Rose Weasley
    Major Character Flaw: Talking too much. (My flist will attest to that...)
    Fanfic Pet Peeves: I hate reading a Snape who is in any way, shape or form attractive, because there is no way anyone can find his greasy personality (don't even get me started on his hair) even the tiniest bit sexy. No. Just no. Also, OOCness in general annoys me immensely. Oh, and I could go on forever and ever about bad grammar, but I won't.
    How long you've been a part of MNFF: Three years, I think? O.o I didn't realise I'd been here so long!
    The first fanfic you fell in love with: Apparently Asleep by Equinox Chick. Fab stuff.
    Favorite Character: It's a toss-up between Louis Weasley, Lily Luna Potter and Albus Severus Potter.
    Favorite Ships: Louis/Lily, Albus/Rose, James/Remus, James/Sirius, Remus/Sirius
    Reason I Mod: Because I want to give back to the community which has shaped me into the writer I am today. I know how much I wanted validation when I first started out, and I'd like to give that validation to other writers, too.
    Bands/Artists: Adele, Florence + the Machine, Bon Iver, Eminem, Rihanna, Outlandish, Zain Bhikha, Sami Yusuf, Ariana Grande, Jessie J, Ed Sheeran
    TV Shows: The Mentalist, Homeland, The Good Wife, Being Human, Waterloo Road, Hollyoaks, CSI: Miami, Law and Order: Special Victims Unit, The Jeremy Kyle Show, Sherlock, House
    Movies: Gone Baby Gone, Salt, The Dark Knight, Blue Valentine, Twitches, High School Musical, Ten Things I Hate About You
    Books: Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling, Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell, Kenzie-Gennaro series by Dennis Lehane, Noughts and Crosses sequence by Malorie Blackman, The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid, The Colour Purple by Alice Walker, A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams
    Food: Chicken, potatoes of any variety (chips, boiled/roasted, potato wedges, etc), fried/scrambled/boiled/poached eggs, toast, shepherd's pie, cheddar/mozzarella cheese
    Guilty Pleasure: Consuming any food (I'm on a permanent diet), super-sweet tea, James/Remus stories, singing badly, tumblr

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.