Thread: Relantionship: Ginny and Molly

Hybrid View

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Searching for Neville's Toad

Relantionship: Ginny and Molly

I'm trying to write a fic about Molly and Ginny, but I need help in how close they are.

How close do you think Molly and Ginny are?

Do you think they have a strong relantionship?

Thanks, Nidhi
    [
    Amazing Avvie by Nadia and Beautiful Banner by BP!

Ebil Minion Ravenclaw
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch
    I think that Molly and Ginny are really close because they're the only women in the Burrow for the most part. And seeing as Molly hasn't distanced herself from Ginny by trying to change her, they have a pretty strong relationship. It depends on when you're setting the story.
    On hiatus for a little while
    Photobucket

This slice of pure awesomeness was made by majestic_ginny. And the avvie (another slice of awesomeness) was made by Broken_Promise.

AND...I'm an ebil minion.

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    Personally I've always interpreted it that as her only daughter, Molly and Ginny were particularly close. Don't forget that once Ron started Hogwarts Ginny would have been the first child since Bill to have been the only child at home, so they would have undoubtedly have shared a connection.

However, Ginny and Molly share similar fiery natures, so they would have clashed regularly (this is witnessed in OoTP when Molly insists Ginny cannot be included in the Order's explanation of Voldemort's actions to Harry when he arrives as Grimmauld Place). Both Ginny and Molly are passionate and determined, so conflict is to be expected.

You should also bear in mind that as the youngest and the only daughter, Ginny experienced a lot of over-protection from both her parents and her brothers, and many underestimated her capabilities. Constantly shielded from dangerous situations, I think this would be a bone of contention between Ginny and Molly, particularly around the DH-era, as Ginny had long since proven herself to be capable of defending herself, but Molly still insisted she remain in the Room of Requirement (though this is somewhat understandable, as even Harry does not disagree).

I think another potential issue would be precisely how much information Ginny shared with Molly. Like most teenagers, Ginny is witnessed as being quite defensive regarding her love life, and I don't think it's something she'd really discuss in depth with Molly. This isn't to say that Molly wouldn't have picked up on certain issues (i.e. Ginny's feelings towards Harry and the fact they never went away), but more that Molly didn't feel the need to interfere.

Despite their differences however, I think that they would have shared a close bond. They are really quite alike, particularly in their fiery nature and capability to love.

I hope this helped

Fenella x

Thanks to majestic_ginny/Nadia for my beautiful banner & avvie!
    'There's the silver lining I've been looking for...'

First Year Gryffindor
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives
    I think Fenella did a wonderful job in her post in explaining how I see the Ginny/Molly relationship, but there's one small point over which she and I disagree so I'll focus on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenella
    Like most teenagers, Ginny is witnessed as being quite defensive regarding her love life, and I don't think it's something she'd really discuss in depth with Molly. This isn't to say that Molly wouldn't have picked up on certain issues (i.e. Ginny's feelings towards Harry and the fact they never went away), but more that Molly didn't feel the need to interfere.
    Once again, Fenella's right on point--Ginny's defensive about her love life; you see that in canon during scenes with Ron, especially, so I don't think Ginny would discuss her relationships in depth with Molly. I also think that Molly probably must pick up on some signals related to Ginny's emotions, because mothers (at least mine) seem to have a sixth sense as to when a girl is talking about a boy who is special to her.

That said, I disagree with Fenella in saying that Molly isn't likely to interfere. Molly is generally a very protective mother to her children, and I actually see her interfering quite a bit. A canon example of this is her bothering Bill to remove his earring and/or cut his hair. I definitely think she would be more bossy or dictatorial with Ginny than with any of her brothers, both because of some latent sexism which rears its head every so often in the Wizarding World, and because, though Molly has past experience raising boys, Ginny is her first girl (and also, as Fenella mentioned, the baby of the family). Therefore, though I've generally observed in my own experience that parents grow less strict with their children as they go down the line from oldest to youngest [perhaps because they become more aware of what will actually endanger their child and what constitutes a good learning experience, hehe], Ginny would be the exception to the rule in this case because she is her mother's only daughter.

In addition, I happen to think that Molly will try to be more and more active in Ginny's love-life as she gets older, since she's so fond of the idea of grandchildren. Side note: another common source of friction which I've seen described in fanfiction is the post-Hogwarts tension that "Ginny wants to be a professional, and her mother doesn't understand why she wouldn't want to have children." To be honest, I have a little trouble buying that description... as Molly clearly demonstrates when she kills Bellatrix, she herself is a very strong woman and I would be surprised if she didn't respect her daughter's strength, i.e. ability to make her own professional choices. That said, in my personal experience with my own mother, sometimes even strong women can let motherhood get to their head and can have trouble seeing that their children aren't extensions of themselves and have different desires/perspectives surrounding issues of family or education. So a story about Molly and Ginny disagreeing about such issues could be in-character for both of them, though I'd very much lean towards Molly eventually reconciling and understanding that her daughter is independent/an adult in that type of situation.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    Thank you all sooo much! My fic is for the illustration for inspiration GH challenge, and it's called Mourning. It's set right after Bill and Fluer's wedding.

Nidhi
    [
    Amazing Avvie by Nadia and Beautiful Banner by BP!