Thread: Pairing - Sirius/OC (Lily's friend)

Sailing Girl

Pairing - Sirius/OC (Lily's friend)

Hello!
    I'm starting this thread mainly because nearly every story I read on the Marauders has Sirius as a
    player who doesn't care about anyone/
    caring soul who hides his true nature from him friends/
    stupid prat/
    amazingly intelligent, handsome and generally faultless.
    Sometimes, all four characteristics are shown at once in a story, which gives me a headache.

Most of these stories then end with Sirius falling madly in love with one of Lily's friends, and him stopping being a prat because his girlfriend has changed him. Sometimes, they even get married.

I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, but when a story has Lily and James falling in love, them Sirius and one of Lily's friends, then Remus and a third friend of Lily's and finally Peter and the fourth member of Lily's gang, I think this is beginning to get a little Mary-Sue.

Especially as Peter is a bit of a social leper, from what i've heard (and read. Is this canon, or fanfic?)

So, I was just wondering about what other people think of these questions....

1) If Sirius fell in love with someone, would he be true to them, or two-time them?

2) If Sirius fell in love with one of Lily's 'rule-following' friends, would he show his love, or just stay put?

3) What kind of girl would be Sirius' type? (Sporty, clever....)

4) How long would Sirius give a relashionship before breaking it off?

Thank you in advance

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    1) If Sirius fell in love with someone, would he be true to them, or two-time them?
    Depends how old he is. How many teenagers do you know that stay true to their girlfriend/boyfriend forever and ever and ever? It's harder to two-time someone if you live in the same building as them, even if you are magic.

2) If Sirius fell in love with one of Lily's 'rule-following' friends, would he show his love, or just stay put?
    Um, does she have to be rule following? Is Lily rule-following? Given that Slughorn remembers her as 'cheeky' and as a girl she disobeyed her mum and jumped off the swing, I don't think she is. I'm not sure why Sirius would be particularly attracted to someone that follows rules all the time. He doesn't set much store by them.

Uh ... sense of humour and willingness to be put after him and his friends. To be honest, though, as we've never seen him with a girl, you have free rein. I really don't think people have a type per se. I know that my previous boyfriends haven't had much in common (save for the name funnily enough which is helpful for that tattoo - I joke).I imagine that Sirius, like most of us, likes someone that shows an interest in him.

Uh, how long's a piece of string? In the only glimpse we see of him as a teenager he's restless, mutters darkly and gets bored. I imagine that if he starts getting hassle from the girl to spend time with her and her only, then he'd lose interest and just end it. That could take a week, a month, a year - depends largely on the girl.

Just because he's good-looking, it doesn't necessarily mean he's a player. It is a girl who is looking hopefully at him in the exam, not the other way around. (SWM)

Regarding Peter, I don't think he's a social leper, but he isn't described in favourable terms when he's compared to Sirius and James. This is before people know the truth, so there's no bias, but he's described as 'that short, fat boy'. If a girl is asked to choose who she finds more attractive she is probably going to say Sirius. That doesn't necessarily mean she wouldn't go out with Peter, because you can recognise that someone's good looking but not be attracted to them, but it's natural that the initial impressions are more favourable towards Sirius.

Actually, I tend to dislike Sirius falling for Lily's friend stories for the reason that the story usually mirrors the same path as James/Lily. The OC hates Sirius, he leurves her, and spends the whole time persuading her that he's not a 'toerag'.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    Really hard to two-time someone when you live in the same building, but possible if they're from different houses. However, I don't think Sirius would do that. We've seen nothing in his personality to believe he would cheat on people, in fact what I've interpreted is that he is very unlikely to cheat.

I agree with Carol that I don't think Sirius would fall for someone rule-following. On the flip side, he probably wouldn't fall for the female version of himself either. I think young Sirius especially would show his love if it was someone he truly cared for. He's not as trusting as James, but just as loyal and caring.

Someone interesting. I know it sounds obvious, but a lot of people give Sirius Mary-Sue girlfriends. I see Sirius with someone who challenges him and can keep up with him. I don't think he'd stick with anyone who is shallow and stuff, because he would just get bored.

Sirius to me almost seems a like he can have a short attention span, especially in school... he is a teenage boy after all. I feel if it was a girl he was just sort of into, he'd get bored and break it off. But if it was girl he really liked, he would stay for a long time. He's an extremely loyal person, so if he found someone who he truly cared for then he would work hard at the relationship.

So, it is not entirely cliche to have Sirius fall for one of Lily's friends. However, it is if it is one of her close friends (probably from Gryffindor). JKR said Lily was very popular, so if Sirius were to date someone in his year it could be very likely they are one of her friends. Maybe not close friends, but someone she hangs around with from time to time.

Essence_of_Lily

I think it really depends on the girl. In those cliched fanfictions, he always falls for the really pretty type, non-clingy type. If he isn't serious about this girl, then he would two-time her. But he wouldn't change his entire attitude just for her.

Maybe a little bit of both, like he still plans pranks, but doesn't hex people randomly as much as he did before. But I doubt he'd fall in love with a complete "rule-follower".

Witty maybe? Clever, witty, maybe not sporty, but it doesn't matter. JKR never wrote about Sirius' love life, so you can choose.

Again, depending on the girl. If he wasn't serious, he'd probably break up with her in a week or less.

LifeAtRandom

One of Sirius' great qualities is his loyalty, so if he were truly in love with someone (not just someone who he liked) I don't think he would cheat. However if I were to write a cheating scene, he'd only go as far as flirting or impulsively kissing another girl, but not sleeping with.

Depends how he feels. If he was ashamed about crushing on a girl, he'd probably have no trouble keeping it a secret. But if he was in love, he'd probably approach her about it.

This sort of takes away the fun in the writing coming up with their own OC based on what they think Sirius would like. My opinion would be Sirius likes a variety of 'types' from outgoing to mousy, just as long as they aren't pureblood maniacs.

I keep imaging Sirius as someone with a lot of short-term relationships. Not necessarily flavor of the weeks (with intentions to break up very quickly), more like a series of girls who he genuinely liked for awhile. The shortest could be a week, the longest could be maybe half a year.

Sisena
    Sirius is fiercely loyal. He wouldn't cheat on someone. I think he'd fall for someone who seems to be a goody two-shoes to the teachers, but breaks the rules behind their backs. I feel like this girl won't like him at first (she's probably greatly influenced by Lily) but they're actually a lot alike. I think Sirius's type would be clever, witty, pretty, and laid-back.

First Year Hufflepuff
    In the Rubble at Godric's Hollow
    Well, it really depends on the circumstances. How likely is it that Sirius would truly be in love with this girl? He doesn't seem like the type that would be interested in a long term relationship. From what we see of him as a teenager in the books, he gets bored rather easily and he could be considered a little reckless. Does that seem like the type of person who would fall deeply in love with a girl and remain true to her? I'm sure he wouldn't mind a good snog every now and then, but I can't see him making much of a commitment to a girl.

Because of Sirius's fierce loyalty to his friends, I think that the Marauders would be higher on his priority list than a girlfriend. That brings up another question: How would the girl feel about that? After all, would she really want to continue a relationship in which the boy makes more commitment to his mates than to her? I can't imagine him putting romance above friendship, even if he truly cares for the girl.

I agree with Carole on this one. What exactly makes Lily's friend 'rule-following'? There really isn't any information in the books that tells us Lily was rule-abiding. Probably more responsible than James, of course, but rule-abiding? Not necessarily.

But to answer your question... I guess it would largely depend on the girl. Does he know her well enough to truly love her, or does he just have an interest in her? Being the brave Gryffindor that he is, I don't think he would have many problems confronting the girl. I don't think he would fall at her feet and confess his undying love for her, but I don't think he would have any issues about asking her on a date either.

I imagine Sirius would like someone who could keep up with the Marauders. Someone witty, funny, and perhaps a little sarcastic. However, the books never really give away any details on Sirius's love life, so I suppose it's up to you.

Once again, it depends on the girl. If she was nothing more than a good snog to him, then he would most likely get bored. I've already said that I don't think Sirius is the type that would be willing to make a commitment to a relationship. Friendship is of higher importance to him, in my opinion.

::I Write:: ::I Draw:: ::I Excerpt::

The masterpiece you see above is by none other than the lovely Skarlett/Ashleigh ... In other words, I made it in a hurried attempt to make my signature look fancy.

~Ashleigh