Thread: Animagus help?

Luna_Midnight

Animagus help?

So I have some questions about Animagus,

How would someone become an Animagus? Is there a spell? Or do you just have to think about it?

Does it hurt?

What is the process?

Dont worry if you cant answer these, its just thoughts I want to hear, I cant think of any!

Thanks!

~Alyssa

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    I'm assuming there'll be lots of complex spells from books - after all in Prisoner of Azkaban Lupin tells Harry and the others how James and Sirius became Animagi to help him out. James and Sirius didn't have much trouble, but Wormtail, who was a bit lousy at studies, nearly died. They also only managed it in their fifth year. All this makes me think that its a very complex spell(s) and needs sheer determination to pull it off. They'd probably get instructions from Transfiguration books either in the restricted section or in seventh year coursebooks (though that's unlikely).

As for it hurting... maybe it hurts a bit at first (I mean, imagine your bones twisting and warping inside you), but probably later on it doesn't anymore.

Hope I helped!

--Nadia

{iBAbanner!} ~♥~ {iDrabble!} ~♥~ {iExcerpt!} ~♥~ {iPuff!}

Awesomical banner by TM_WandStick/Toni!
    Chapter 12 up!

TheCursedQuill
    Quote Originally Posted by majestic_ginny
    As for it hurting... maybe it hurts a bit at first (I mean, imagine your bones twisting and warping inside you), but probably later on it doesn't anymore.
    I agree that it may hurt at first, or perhaps the first couple of times. But after the intial shock of transforming, I don't believe it hurts at all. McGonagall and Sirius change with quickly and with ease which makes me think it's not that hard on your body.

There hasn't been any reference in the books to any of the animagus' that we know of saying a spell before transforming. I think once you learn it it's more of a unspoken spell, but while learning it I'm sure there are many complicated spells you'd have to do on yourself.

transfiguration itself is one of the hardest subjects taught at Hogwarts, and many of the students we see thourgh trio era have a hard time with the basic stuff like turning a goblet into a rat. So I don't think just anyone can learn how to become an animagus. It would take a lot of dedication and practice to be able to do it.

As for the process and such, I think you'd have free reign to come up with anything. It would be most plausible for there to be various spells one would have to cast upon themselves, but that's all I can come up with right now.

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    Personally I always interpreted it that the complex spells etc are necessary in order to allow your body to transform, rather than for the specific transformation as such. If that makes sense?

Hence Sirius and Professor McGonagall would not need to use a spell to transform, as their bodies had been made capable of the transformation, and it's more a question of mental determination at that stage.

Also, the animagus forms a witch/wizard takes are symbolic of their nature, much like a patronus, so I think once complex magic had enabled your body to withstand the transformation the rest would be down to your innate magical abilities. For instance, whilst learning to perform a patronus charm is difficult, once mastered it can be performed with relative ease, because of magical ability.

As to whether it would hurt, like the previous posts I agree that it would most likely be excruciatingly painful for the first few transformations, however after that the body would adapt, and neither Sirius nor Professor McGonagall ever expressed any discomfort in undergoing their rapid transformations.

Hope this helps,

Fenella x

Thanks to majestic_ginny/Nadia for my beautiful banner & avvie!
    'There's the silver lining I've been looking for...'

First Year Hufflepuff
    In the Rubble at Godric's Hollow
    How would someone become an Animagus? Is there a spell? Or do you just have to think about it?

There isn't really any specific information in canon on how wizards/witches become Animagi, so you should have relatively free rein when writing about it. Like most of the others here, I assume that it would require a series of extremely complicated spells in the beginning. After all, Tranfiguration is described as a very difficult subject. I think it would be very risky as well, and should be attempted with great caution. So many thinks could go wrong... Someone would definitely need lots of determination and focus to endure becoming an animal, and then changing back to their original form.

Does it hurt?
    I think it would be an extremely painful process in the beginning, but it would get much easier with time. The Animagi in the books are able to transform very quickly and quite easily, without any signs of pain. Like most things, I imagine it would be a lot less uncomforable with practice.

What is the process?
    Again, there really isn't any canon information we can refer to it. Therefore, it's mostly up to you.

I wonder if it would be safe to assume that if a wizard is an Animagus, their patronus is their Animagus form? Obviously, it would seem as if that were the animal they were closest to.

::I Write:: ::I Draw:: ::I Excerpt::

The masterpiece you see above is by none other than the lovely Skarlett/Ashleigh ... In other words, I made it in a hurried attempt to make my signature look fancy.

~Ashleigh

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    An Animagus shape is supposed to represent yourself. A Patronus represents your happiest memory. If your happiest memory is deeply tied to someone else (Snape's is a doe for Lily), then it's highly unlikely that your Animagus form is the same as your Patronus shape.

As for how to become one...

It seems like there is a distinct difference between Transfiguring someone else (or even yourself) into an animal and becoming an Animagus. Once you're an Animagus, it seems that you can shift effortlessly between states - McGonagall, Sirius and Peter don't seem to have much problems with this.

The process is probably much more intensive and involves complicated practice and spell work.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Adding to what Aida says, becoming an Animagus is one of those rare magical states that does not require a wand - not even holding one. Sirius was able to become Padfoot in Azkaban quite easily.

A Patronus represents your happiest memory.
    I think a Patronus is supposed to be the representation of what you feel protected by. You use the happy memory to summon it. Snape's was a doe because he felt protected by the memory of Lily (and hers was a doe). James Potter's Animagus and Patronus are the same - probably because he feels most protected by his own actions. (I believe McGonagall's Patronus is a cat, but not sure about that)

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    Most likely it hurts. You have to be good at tranfiguration to do it.
    [
    Amazing Avvie by Nadia and Beautiful Banner by BP!

Cigarette
    I thought there was mention in the books that you had to register...and that Sirius was a secret animagus...

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I thought there was mention in the books that you had to register...and that Sirius was a secret animagus...
    You are supposed to register, but James, Sirius and Peter didn't. They were known as 'unregistered Animagi' along with Rita Skeeter who no one knew was a beetle. Whilst the Marauders were underage when they first Transfigured and no doubt enjoyed the thrill of this being forbidden, Rita's status has more to do with her being able to spy on her victims. If she was registered, then her story finding would be curtailed.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird