Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Pensieve

crazy_purple_hp_freak
    *cannot believe that she just read Sarah's post and spent five minutes trying to raise one eyebrow and one eyebrow ONLY*

Okay, so my reaction on being sorted into Slytherin was to raise BOTH eyebrows in sheer astonishment. In those random sorting quizzes that you always get from Google, I've always been a Gryffindor, a Hufflepuff or a Ravenclaw. I was ecstatic to be a Slyth, but I wasn't disappointed. I was just surprised.

I remember that at the time, I was betaing for Danielle (Sour Apple) and she kept urging me to get sorted, and though she didn't tell me, it was basically because Slyths had an in house giftfic challenge going on for people in other houses. So it was pretty funny when I turned up with "Slytherin" written under my name.

I love MNFF. Really - I do. It's so different from any other HP forum I've been on. When I registered I was basically looking for an addiction. I wanted a forum where I could write, beta, discuss, squee, and make friends. MNFF proved to be the whole package and a hell of a lot of bonuses.

Because MNFF is a community. Whether you like it or not, sooner or later you'll get sucked into the little vortex/homey hidey-hole that is your house Common Room. You'll get to know people there, make lots of friends. You'll get to know people in other houses - people all over the world who may have RL jobs, may live completely different lives to your own and it's amazing.

Sometimes I try and look back and more often than not I actually can't remember the point (if there was one) that I became one of Slytherin and had that element of Slyth Pride fully grown into me. Everything on MNFF, from little posts, PMs, challenges etc still give me a buzz. MNFF is my online caffeine - I'm an addict. And proud.

Being on these forums have really broadened my skills. When I joined I was a beta. I never thought I would EVER write any fanfiction, nevermind poems, and I didn't know that bannermaking existed. *eyes are now open* You learn a lot on here and you get a lot of opportunities. The challenges are great. I started off on drabble challenges as they were shorter and seemed less scary than submitting to the main site. Slowly I've built on that and now I try and tackle any challenge that I get a plot bunny for.

Something that I really like about MNFF, that I've not yet seen in any other forum, is the essence that it's ALIVE. Everyone has a sort of "House Pride Motivation Bug" which kind of scared me at first...until I caught it too! Like Sarah says in the post above, we have all our little threads - about how to win the cup, ideas threads, and many many MANY threads for squeeing. In short we Slyths work hard and we play hard. I've stayed up many a night on MNFF chatting to users in the US/Canada when it's midnight here in the UK, and I've written last-minute entries to challenges and all sorts of random stuff. People outside of MNFF ask me why I do it, and I'm not quite sure myself - I guess it's simply because it's fun. And it is.

*breath out*

I think I've release all my for MNFF. But I probably have more pent up somewhere.
    To any newbie in doubt, feel free to drop me a PM with questions.

And tuck in to a neverending yummy plate of MNFF goodness!

<3 ~Suzie

Slytherin Mom Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Dragon vs. Little Wooden Stick
    muHAHAHA... triple consecutive hits by Slytherin house.
    *huggles my Sarah and Suzie*

Also, making sure NikkiSue got sorted,(since she read FF but was not on the forums yet) and being Shocked that she was a Slyth. But it suits her.
    (for those who don't know, we are cousins by marriage. Our husbands are first cousins. AND we work together in RL)
    *Not sure if the "it suits her" part is a compliment or something I need to talk to her about later*
    Yeah, she called me at work (the job we share) and all I heard was, "OH MY GOD, YOU'RE IN SLYTHERIN!!!!"
    I was laughing pretty hard by that point but the shock hit me a few minutes later. A SLYTH?

I personally don't remember much about being a new member but if anyone is nervous about becoming a member of our house, just drop all uneasiness at the door and shoot me a PM. I have found myself lurking around the "Introduce Yourself" thread, watching for newbies. When I spot one I shoot them my Welcome Wagon PM trying to say hello and tell them about a few Slytherin quirks and such. I touch upon the forums outside of Slytherin and I have even told them about which characters to tread on carefully *coughsBellacoughs*... I am known as the Slytherin Mom around our parts and I am beginning to think it may be more fitting with my protective nature with my Slyths. Hopefully it's not age-related.

We are always trying to invent new and unique ways to make life on the boards a bit easier for ourselves. You can always find threads to match each of your fanfiction needs! We are fiercely loyal and competitive but it seems we are also greatly outnumbered on the boards when it comes to points so we try extra hard to make a dent in the race for the cup.

We also have the Slytherin of the Month program, hehe. *points to banner below* Suzie was the January SotM! *points to post above mine*

The Conga continues to be a great idea that we came up with. We visit any time there is a holiday or any other reason to celebrate. It is also home of the round robin which resulted in the below banner as well. *glares at Loralie* We have contests and games there as well as other Slytherinny types of things including slushies in every flavor known to man.

So come on over to the Dark Side...
    We have Tiramisu.
    (and slushies. Don't forget the slushies.)

*huggles new friends*

~Nicole
    Avvie is pic of my number one fans, Rielly and Mason! xoxo

Banner by SimplyBeing
    Read The Forum Rules! They're Etched in Stone . . .
    KC - My Friend Through Modship - Rest in Peace. <3

babekitty_92
    Tee hee, 4th one to post!! Ha ha ha!!

Anyway, I'm Abbi and currently the only *active* Aussie Slytherin!!

I remember when I orginally joined here I joined about a week before MNFF and the boards got totally re-vamped because I needed a beta. I was curious and so when they opened up again, I re-joined the boards and didn't look back since.

I was SO SHOCKED that I was made a Slyth at first and my friends paid me out so much at school. But now, it's the total hotness to be a Slyth And they're jealous.

But we're on some very large number in our CR. It's in Roman numerals, and I'm not quite sure what number it is..
    *checks current CR* We're at (edit)66! Party on Conga at 70!

But anyway, to my purpose again. Being a Slytherin ROCKS. We have all these cool-as threads, including our "Divine Drabbles and Charming Challenges" thread in which our cheerleader, CM, updates constantly, with the help of a few others.

We also have a Slytherin of the Month. This is like an Employee of the Month sort-of-thing in the sense that it's given to (well from my understanding at least) the Slyth who has been the most helpful around the forums and that sort of thing. Pretty awesome stuff.

Like Nikki, Suzie and Sarah have said, we have THE CONGA. It's spam-central in which no one cares. We have "parties" on there, RL area in which you can have a rant, ask questions, etc. and so forth. It's the best thing really because we can't get in trouble for writing one sentence and it's just a whole bunch of laughs really!

I think the thing though that makes me love all the Slyths the most is their kind hearts. I don't think I've met a nicer bunch of girls (and few guys - Pablo, Will, Jacie...) and they're just a wonderful bunch. We all give advice to each other and it's just really great. We're really close and a number of us are "friends" on myspace and LJ.

So yeah, if you get sorted into Slytherin (or any house really) PM one of us and we're happy to talk!!! (We don't shush-up ever... litterally. Especially me )

Abbi

Just Tink
    Star reminded me that I haven't posted here yet... yikes!

I'm not one of the oldest 'Puffs here, but of the ones that are still active I'm of an older crowd. My 'Puffs are my homepeople, and honestly, I'm THRILLED I was able to get to know them.

One of the things most unique to Hufflepuff is the Badger Bulletin, and it's a 'Puff accomplishment that I'm extremely proud of. Our own Loralie is the editor-in-chief, and one of my fondest memories here is having our first issue published. (I write the gossip column as well as the advice column, so if you'd rather get your newbie advice from an insane badger named Philbert instead of a nice Hufflepuff named Jerri, let me know.)

Another great memory is becoming part of the Hufflepuff Quidditch Team. I've captained it for two months now, and it has been a fantastic experience- I'll be sad to pass on the reins to a new captain.

But guys, get involved! Then you, too, can create memories.

Miss_Evans Lily Sofi
    Why haven't I posted here sooner?

Well, I posted my feelings in the Badgers' Set thingy about when I got back the Sorting quiz with the results. I was very upset, very very very! I didn't posted much, but when I saw that we have lots of interesting games and lots of fun, I decided to introduce myself and join into the club.

I was spamming too much (mainly in This or That), and I remember that a few Badgers warned me. As everyone here mentioned, I also love that we have members all around the world, all big fans of Harry Potter. Here we make friendships, we learn to write good fanfics, we are decorating ourselves with banners, we are learning ourselves to discipline and responsibility. And don't be scared from mods, they are the bestest (it's a word) I have ever seen. If you think that they are Umbridge, fell free to ask a Dumbledore's Navy member. If you have any questions, concerns, worries, anything at all feel free to ask. Everything here is wonderful! Give ideas and maybe something good will come out from that.
    And if you ask a member of this site, how many hours you are on here? He/She will sure tell you:1-12<----- and it's not a joke! So, don't be shy, go and make friends, post everywhere you think it's interesting and have fun and the last, but no least: Enjoy the world of Harry Potter!
    ~Sophia

AurorKeefy
    Well, I've been in Hufflepuff for a year now, and I can safely say that almost all the Hufflepuffs I've spoken to are really lovely people, with a good sense of humour and more than prepared to put the effort in. Whether it's the numerous challenges we have in the common room, the contributions to the boards generally or the superb badger bulletin website, all the active 'Puffs are just as loyal, hardworking, patient and fair as their literary counterparts.

...which begs the question...

WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING IN HERE??!?!?!

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    So, I'm not sure where to start. >.> My experience of the forums? Hm. Be prepared for a long post =)

Well, I joined the archives first, but I was a little afraid to join the forums for some reason. I seriously don't know why. But, if you are afraid to join the forums, or are a newbie, who's a little wary about participating around them, well... don't be. Why? Well...

Everybody is very friendly, and are always willing to help newbies fit in. You will feel at home here in a heartbeat - no joke! In Hufflepuff, we have a discussion thread but it's the place to post all your shout-outs too. For example, if it's somebody's birthday, all the badgers will post with good wishes, and if something really great has happened to you on the forums [like being made QWC Captain, or winning a challenge, or being accepted into a club, SPEW for example] you're probably guaranteed a mountain-load of congrats. And, I'm pretty sure all the other houses are like this.

Now, one of the best things about the boards - I think - is how it gives the chance to develop your writing. Before I joined I thought I was a pretty decent writer >.> You don't want to know how much I've learned in the short year since then. MNFF offer a variety of challenges, and it is worth participating. If you place, it is awesome, and if you don't... well, most likely somebody will drop by to give you feedback all the same, so you win either way. -shrugs- There is also a range of classes on offer each term to help you improve your writing and more, and although I've only took one class so far myself, I would definitely recommend them.

Now, Houses. To be honest, whatever house you're sorted into it will rock. Everybody is very friendly [did I say that already :P] and you will fit in like you've always been there. Just introduce yourself and dive in. The best way to fit in is to get yourself known - so participate!

Now, I just realised not a lot of this is my memories, exactly, per se. So... I'll tell you one of the best times on the boards for me...

The first time I earned some housepoints. I was seriously like *squee* and I probably drove the badgers mad >.< Sorry. But it makes me smile when I see other people get excited over their first housepoints now, because you really do feel like you've contributed to your house when it happens, and that's great. Anyway, I still kinda feel good when I earn housepoints. And I've earned a lot since those first ones. And it's even better when your house wins the cup - and since I've been here I haven't seen Hufflepuff lose once. Because we dominate the boards you know. >.>

And to round off this ridiculously long, rambly post: I hope to see you around soon! Like others have said, then you'll have your own memories of the forums. Maybe, one day, you'll be posting them in here too.

xx

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills

Hmm...my story...*scratches head* I've been here for awhile.

I joined the archives first, but didn't actually venture into the world of the forums until four months later. Even then, I was terrified to post. Looking back on that, I wish I'd just jumped in.

I knew I'd be in Ravenclaw, because I am a bit of a geek, but any of the houses on here are just amazing.

One of the best memories I have of being on the boards is the spam parties we have occasionally in Ravenclaw, and fighting with Angela over James Potter, accidentally saying just James, and being yelled at, because we already have a James in the Tower and I'm certainly not in love with HIM!

Jump in on any of the activities on the boards, it will make your experience here a lot more enjoyable!

Kate
    IB + Senior Year = Hiatus...again
    Kate...iPoem!...iWrite!...iBanner!...Dumbledore's Navy!
    Avvie and banner by me! Please request!

musicalwitch
    So my memories?
    Well I remember being sorted into Gryffindor and being a bit, apprehensive. I mean, I was always sorted into Ravenclaw in other tests and so on.
    Then I got a PM from Kumy, our resident head cheerleader as a welcome. I posted a few times before realising I had nothing to be scared of, and emerged as myself, instead of the poor little Gryff I was. A few minor hiccups on the way, and here I am!

The thing about the Gryffies/Toasters, we're so fabulous that those who leave come back again. Kumy left and returned a year (?) later as Miss K. There's tons more who are now emerging into our Tower, fresh from their hiatus' and raring to boost morale.
    Thats another brilliant thing about Gryffindors, we are one BIG happy family.

And also, we are up for a bit of a joke. Remember last years Gred and Forge Day? Our Tower went AWOL for the day due to "bad behaviour".
    This year, the Twilight-haters and the Twilight-lovers all joined forces against the Powers-That-Be when we combined with Twitternet. No arguements, just a discussion about why we loved/hated the series.
    And thats why the Toasters are brilliant.

*and breathes*

Emma

James Jameson
    I cannot begin to say how much I've enjoyed my time here on MNFF. Like, holy, I had to be removed from it because I was on it so much! *not joking*
    I've met one of my BEST friends in Hufflepuff, and we correspond EVERY DAY by text, email, PM, you name it! We met because we shared a common interest in a charity, and I suggested that we write a story about it. We bonded so much over that month making our beloved 'TWLOHA' and we never even got around to submitting it >.<

I encourage EVERYONE to start writing something with someone... get to know people in and out of your house, and you'll be surprised with what great bonds you can make. And try to set up mass house AIM chats, too. Everyone in your house can participate as long as they can get onto an AIM account, and it doesn't matter what time zone because they're almost ALWAYS running. I know that hufflepuff has these both officially to discuss further developments in the House and unofficially to just have fun and chat!! I met my new mommy/glamorousoldersister Carole (Equinox Chick) on there as well as my Quidditch buds Riham (padfoot_returns) and Alliatrix (lupinsgirl_2006) and my other bff here who's actually moving across the world to go to school with me I LOVE LEK!!! (Lexxyy)

MNFF is a great thing! Whether you're looking for spam-free fun (ahaha what a JOKE... *kidding... I have to stay vigilant on that for Carole's sake *) or looking to improve your writing skills, MNFF is the place to be! We're really such a family and you can ask anyone for help and you WILL receive.
    So welcome newbies and GET READY TO RUMBLEEE!!!!!

Tine