Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RETURN OF THE BRAWL - Get your wands ready, drabblers!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare

RETURN OF THE BRAWL - Get your wands ready, drabblers!

The Sixth TTB Drabble Brawl!

Are you ready to throw the smackdown with your fellow drabblers and show off your skills? Have you and your neighbouring thread-owner have had a dispute over a pint of Butterbeer regarding characterisation? Do you feel that the challenge winners don’t fully represent the skills of the drabblers in Rosmerta’s pub? Or are you just up for a good drabble writing frenzy?

Well, the only civilized way to handle this is by participating in the Three Broomsticks Drabble Brawl! So take out your quills and parchment and get ready to BRAWL!

The concept of the Drabble brawl began on LJ many moons ago, but the previous landlady (Teh Ebil One) introduced it to this bar in 2008. It was an immediate success.
    Here are the rules. Read carefully, for they may have changed since the last round.

The Drabble Brawl Rules [Modified: 27/5/2012 – that's a UK date, geddit?]

1. First of all, you must be sorted into a House to participate or sign up.

2. On that note, do not sign up unless you're absolutely sure you'll have time to participate. This competition may run for several weeks, (at the most 12 weeks depending on dropouts) and you'll be required to turn in a drabble to Equinox Chick for each weekly challenge until you're eliminated.

3. Challenges will be posted every Sunday, and the entries for that challenge will be due the next Thursday at 8:PM GMT. The drabbles will be posted by Equinox Chick within a few hours of the deadline – any identifying names will be removed prior to that so anonymity can be maintained during the voting process.

I have to be strict about the deadlines. Unless you give me prior notice,(and this can be negotiated, but I cannot delay things indefinitely) I cannot accept late entries. You will be disqualified and all points forfeited.

4.Please do not tell anyone which drabble you wrote! If any of the barmaids hear any sort of rumour that you’re telling other users which drabble to vote for, you will be immediately disqualified/banned – this applies to non-participants as well.

Face it, guys, it’s uncool to cheat. You want to win because you’re the best drabbler and not the one with the biggest flist!

5. Other drabblers [including the participants, yes you can vote for yourself] will then have until 3:PM BST on Sunday, unless otherwise noted, to vote for their favourite and least favourite drabbles in a poll

6. The least favourite votes will be subtracted from the favourite votes. Example: Someone who receives 3 + votes and 5 - votes will have a total of -2 points.

7. In the early rounds, the two contestants with the least amount of points will be eliminated, given a pat on the head, some points, and can no longer participate, whilst everyone else moves on to the next challenge thus having survived! Participation points will only be given to brawlers who send their drabbles in on time. If I have to disqualify you, then no points will be given. When we get down to the last 6, one brawler will be eliminated per week.

8. In the event of a tie, the drabble with the most amount of negative votes will be eliminated. At the other end of the spectrum, points will be shared by brawlers who tie for first place.

9. The overall winner of the Drabble Brawl will receive immense shinyness, bragging rights and ... oh, yeah, twenty points for their house. The second place runner up will receive fifteen points, and the third place contestant will receive ten. (This includes your participation points)The contestant who receives the most votes every week will earn five points for their house for that week.

10. Participants and viewers alike must have an open mind to all ships and ideas, including slash, Snapery, and chocolate cheesecake. Ratings for drabbles can be as high as 3rd-5th Years and must have appropriate warnings, if necessary. If you are in any doubt about your subject matter/warnings etc then you must PM me.(Equinox Chick - Have I said my name enough, yet?)

11. Drabbles must be between 200-500 words. MNFF Submission Guidelines still apply. Please double-check for grammar, and spelling. Equinox Chick (me again) is not your beta and will not format the story for you. If you do not name your drabble, I will title it "Untitled".

BE VERY AWARE that drabbles called Untitled can get confused with other drabbles called Untitled so I STRONGLY recommend that you title your drabble!

NOTE: You may not use betas. This is part due to the fact that betas give you an unfair advantage over drabblers who don't use betas, but also because you can't remain anonymous if someone has seen your drabble. There’s an honour system in place here, brawlers, but we also hear whispers ... so BEWARE!

12. Contestants may not post their drabbles anywhere until after the results are posted by the Barmaids. Failure to maintain anonymity will result in instant disqualification.

13. NEW RULE – Mods may enter and not just for participation points. Because this is anonymous, you will be allowed to win.

If you've read and understand the rules make sure to add the words "Lavender Brown did not die at the Battle of Hogwarts and was far too good for Ron, anyway." in your sign up form.

The Barmaids hope that you guys are looking forward to participating since it will be your peers judging your drabbles instead of just the old soaks who run the bar. On that note, like always, don’t forget it’s for fun! Any questions can be asked over at the Question Corner #6- Ask the Barmaid.

++Past Drabble Brawl Winners::

++Round 1:: Evester of Hufflepuff
    ::Round 2++ Azhure of Ravenclaw (I was second *sob sob*)
    ++Round 3:: Uncompleted but it was between bothering snape, Equinox Chick and Eternalangel.
    Round 4 – Karaley Dargen of Gryffindor
    Round 5 – the opaleye of Slytherin

I will open this thread for sign-ups at 10 am (BST) Tuesday 29th May until I have 18 participants, or Saturday 2nd June, whichever is earliest. The first prompt will be posted on Sunday 3rd June - AT 9AM BST - that's British Summer Time. (yes, we do have Summer)

PHP Code:
    [b]Name: [/b
    [
    b]House:[/b
    [
    b]Favourite Potterverse Character:[/b
    [
    b]Brawling weapon of choice:[/b
    [
    b]Present you’d give to the barmaids (be creative):[/b
    Huge thank you to mugglemathdork who introduced this competition over four years ago and whose words I've only slightly adapted this time around.

Madame Carmerta
    Last edited by Equinox Chick; 05-29-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Ebil Minion Ravenclaw
    Impersonating the Bloody Baron
    Name: BrokenPromise
    House: The wonderful Ravenclaw
    Favourite Potterverse Character: Hmmm...tough decision. Probably Tom Marvolo Riddle (AKA Lord Voldemort among a plethora of other names)
    Brawling weapon of choice: The pen is mightier than the sword. And what drives that pen. The brain. Therefore a brain from the Department of mysteries is my choice.
    Present you’d give to the barmaids (be creative): Well, you've probably already got wands,time-turners, tickets to Orlando (Barmaid Edit: I am going to Orlando in the Summer .... keep talking) and engraved House Tankards, so 3 wishes? A poem? Patience and energy to read my dastardly drabbles? Only one entry next month?

Bringing my word count to 100 for effect.
    Last edited by Equinox Chick; 05-27-2012 at 10:12 PM.
    [@Bannermaking] [@Poetry] [@Writing] [@Drabbling] [@Duelling]

Incredible Avvie and Beautiful banner for my Cotillion fic by Nadia/majestic_ginny!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Okay, so I accidentally left the thread open, but have closed now ......

BrokenPromise, I may allow you to stay as first sign up ... but ....

You haven't read the rules properly

There is a small sentence that you have missed

-smirk-

Message from Broken Promise

Is this better?

Lavender Brown did indeed survive the Battle of Hogwarts and she was too good for Ron anyway. She had only been luring Greyback and had, for the entire battle, fouught bravely like a true Gryffindor.
    True, very true.

~Madame Carmerta~
    Last edited by Equinox Chick; 05-27-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Banner by minnabird

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare

OPEN

PHP Code:
    [b]Name: [/b
    [
    b]House:[/b
    [
    b]Favourite Potterverse Character:[/b
    [
    b]Brawling weapon of choice:[/b
    [
    b]Present you’d give to the barmaids (be creative):[/b

Banner by minnabird

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    You Need Some Driving Lessons, Ron
    Name: WeasleyMom
    House: Hufflepuff
    Favourite Potterverse Character: Hermione
    Brawling weapon of choice: Keyboard, baby
    Present you’d give to the barmaids (be creative): Tea and chocolates, served to the barmaids by Sirius Black, back from the dead.
    Barmaid Edit: Yes, yes, your accreditation seems to be in order.

Don’t look now, Lori’s been Imperioused: Lavender Brown did not die at the Battle of Hogwarts and was far too good for Ron, anyway.
    Last edited by Equinox Chick; 05-29-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    Lovely banner by Nadia

Queen of Foals Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Where are you Wetherby?
    Name: Theo Paleye
    House: Slytherin
    Favourite Potterverse Character: Dudley
    Brawling weapon of choice: Self-induced exhaustion.
    Present you’d give to the barmaids (be creative): I promise to write solely about Lavender's wonderful life (Blaise in tow, of course) because Lavender Brown did not die at the Battle of Hogwarts and was far too good for Ron, anyway.

Barmaid Edit: Nice to have converted as sssssssnake .... (but who knows what will come from your quill, Ms Winner of Round 5)
    Last edited by Equinox Chick; 05-29-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Lovely banner by Minna! Icon from toreadabook on lj.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Name: Kara
    House: Gryffindoooooor
    Favourite Potterverse Character: Right now, Molly Weasley
    Brawling weapon of choice: hand-crossbow. beware.
    Present you’d give to the barmaids (be creative): I'll bring you definite proof that Lavender Brown did not die at the Battle of Hogwarts and was far too good for Ron, anyway. Also, chocolates.

Barmaid Edit: Definite proof - GOOD!
    Last edited by Equinox Chick; 05-29-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Second Year Hufflepuff
    Beset by Owls
    Name: LollyLovesick/Lovisa
    Favourite Potterverse Character: Mmm... I like the black-haired ones. Like Regulus and Harry (boring, I know.)
    Brawling weapon of choice: Working internet connection!
    Present you’d give to the barmaids (be creative): I tried to be creative but failed. Instead I ran down to the gas station and bought whatever gift basket they had (obviously, that includes chocolate.)

By the way; everything from the middle of HBP onward was a dream; Lavender Brown did not die at the Battle of Hogwarts and she and Ron were obviously perfect for each other. They married and had lots of kids with names consisting of two identical syllables.

Barmaid Edit: The barmaid hopes you are not implying that Lav-Lav and Won-Won would marry because Lav-Lav informs me that Blaisey-Waisey is far more nicey-nicey.
    Last edited by Equinox Chick; 05-29-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    Banner made by mahogany_wand

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    Name: Maple_and_PheonixFeather
    House: Gryffindorrrrrr
    Favourite Potterverse Character: Snape
    Brawling weapon of choice: My bare hands
    Present you’d give to the barmaids (be creative): Tea, Sirius Black, and beautiful elf wine. Oh, and I solemnly swear that Lavender Brown did not die at the Battle of Hogwarts and was far too good for Ron, anyway.

Barmaid Edit: Elf wine is more than acceptable.
    Last edited by Equinox Chick; 05-29-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Snape Hates Me
    Name: The owl
    Favourite Potterverse Character: Horrible, horrible question. Uhm, it's probably Remus right now. Unless it's Tonks. Or possibly Michael Corner (blame Jess for that one). No, I'll stick with Remus. I think...
    Brawling weapon of choice: My exam brain, which is like my normal brain, but turned up to 11 and given a large dose of stress for good measure. It can get me through just about anything (I hope)
    Present you’d give to the barmaids (be creative): A gigantic chocolate cake, containing three recently resurrected Marauders waiting to jump out at them. They may or may not be wearing any robes. The cake would be edible and scrumptious, by the way.

Barmaid edit: I like the cut of your jib, young owlet! Nekkid Marauders are always good 9as long as Pettigrew isn't one of them.
    Edit - I did say "three" Marauders for a reason!

Oh, and Lavender Brown did not die at the Battle of Hogwarts and was far too good for Ron, anyway.

No, those aren't crossed fingers you see, I swear. *tries to look innocent*
    *scowls*
    Last edited by Equinox Chick; 05-29-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    Avvie by majestic_ginny/Nadia. Banner by clabbert2102/Bella. Thank you both!

I write, I drabble, duel, beta and draw,
    I am a Hufflepuff to the core!