Thread: Did The Death Eaters Know Who The Traitor Was?

Hybrid View

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts

Did The Death Eaters Know Who The Traitor Was?

This is an intriguing question that popped into my head last night; were the Death Eaters aware that Peter was on their side during the first war?

If they were, does that mean they were possibly aware of Sirius' innocence? Or would they have assumed Sirius killed Peter as revenge for being the traitor, so he was still guilty?

Or were they not privy to the information that Peter was a traitor?

The fact that none of them appear to have an issue with Peter during the events in the graveyard in GOF makes me think they knew he was on their side, but I'm not convinced.

Any ideas?

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Mmm, this always intrigues me.

Sirius says that in Azkaban he heard the other DE's talking about the revenge they wanted to take if they ever caught Peter because they think he set up Voldemort, but whether they all knew about Peter is unclear. Snape, for example, didn't know Peter was the Secret Keeper, but possibly knew he was a spy. I'm inclined to think he didn't know, though, because I think he'd have told Dumbledore once he'd turned who the Order spy was.

In the Wizengamot trials, Karkarov gives a few names but doesn't know everyone because they worked in cells.

~Carole~

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    The other issue with the graveyard scene in GOF is that it appears that only Peter and Barty Crouch jr remained more loyal of the DEs who were not in Azkaban. Peter had already given his hand to bring Voldemort back to life - it probably wasn't worth getting Crucioed to ask if he was loyal. They might have grumbled about it later though. He had given his flesh, the flesh of the servant.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Ebil Minion Ravenclaw
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick View Post
    In the Wizengamot trials, Karkarov gives a few names but doesn't know everyone because they worked in cells.
    I always got the sense (and I feel like Snape makes some comment about this in either the books or the films) that the only person who knew who all of the Death Eaters were was Voldemort, and as Peter was a spy inside the Order, I think Voldemort would keep that quiet in the same way that Snape as a spy inside Voldemort's ranks was very hush hush in both wars.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlining95 View Post
    If they were, does that mean they were possibly aware of Sirius' innocence? Or would they have assumed Sirius killed Peter as revenge for being the traitor, so he was still guilty?
    I think even if all the Death Eaters (both inside and outside of Azkaban) knew Peter was the traitor and that he faked his own death, they would have seen Sirius as a blood traitor anyway and would have felt that his rotting in Azkaban was fitting punishment for turning his back on pure-blood beliefs. Consider how Lucius Malfoy treats Arthur Weasley and what Walburga Black's portrait keeps saying in OotP.
    noblefate: writes ~ betas ~ drabbles ~ duels ~ is a proud Turnip! ~ is an Ebil Minion

wonderful banner by minnabird

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    Hmmm, looks like there isn't a definitive answer to this one!

You raise an interesting point Carole, if the Death Eaters had known Peter was a spy Snape would have almost certainly have told Dumbledore, especially after Sirius got arrested. (Or would he? Would he have been so pleased Sirius had been arrested that he would have overlooked telling Dumbledore of Peter's betrayal? Actually, no, I'm fairly certain he would have told Dumbledore regardless...)

I guess that it's possible that just like the Order had no idea Snape was a spy, the DE were not privy to the fact that Peter was a spy for them. Dumbledore was the only one who knew about Snape, maybe Voldemort was the only one to know about Peter!

Intriguing...

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    The Giant Spider is Hagrid's... Friend?!?
    EADA Benjamin Stone's office (having somehow jumped back to the early 90s)
    Funny... They must have known that Sirius wasn't the traitor, since Bellatrix seemed not at all concerned for her cousin, and Lucious knew about the dream implanted in Harry. plus, kreacher would have told them anyway.
    As for Peter- Sirius seems to make it out tht the death eaters- or some of them- did know, because he said that if they knew he was alive, they would come after him and murder him for double-crossing them and bringing about Voldemort's downfall. But it seems unlikely that Snape would know- if he had, I'm sure he would have wanted to kill Peter himself, since it was Peter who betrayed Lily to Voldemort. Perhaps, seeing as Snape asked for Lily to be spared, that Voldemort decided not to tell Snape about Peter's job. If he had, maybe Snape would have tried to prevent Peter from exposing Lily, and Voldemort really wanted to kill the Potters. Then again, he felt Snape was loyal. Intriguing.
    Banner by the opaleye and avvie by me

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    Just to clarify, I thought the Order knew Snape was a spy in the second war. They didn't know why Dumbledore trusted him so much or what made him turn, but they knew he was a spy. We saw in OOTP him arriving to give a report to the Order the same night Harry arrived. He also taunted Sirius with the dangerous work he was doing while Sirius was stuck in the house. Also, after Dumbledore's death, they all thought he had been a double agent for Voldemort instead of for them.

So this being said, I think it's possible there were some Death Eaters who knew Peter was the spy. I think there were some who didn't. I think they all believed he was dead and Sirius was the one who killed him. It is very unlikely that even if they knew Peter was the spy that they would know he could transform into a rat and that he had been hiding with the Weasley's for years.

So I think that some of the inner circle knew that Peter was with them, but not everybody. In the Order, it was necessary for them to know who was in the group because they needed to know who their allies were and who they could trust. Because of the Dark Mark, Death Eaters would not have the same problems.

I also highly doubt that Snape knew about Peter, because he definitely would have told Dumbledore even if he didn't know that Peter was directly betraying the Potters, he would probably assume (correctly) that Peter would know who the Secret Keeper was and give the name to Voldemort. So Snape most definitely would have told Dumbledore if he knew, especially since Peter was one of James and Lily's friends.

Also, while Snape hated Sirius and that didn't change once he knew the truth, I don't think he would have tried to have him killed or lose his soul if he knew that Sirius wasn't responsible for Lily's death. I believe it wouldn't have changed his resentment towards Sirius from their school days, but he would have possibly focused more attention on Peter if he knew that it was his betrayal that ultimately lead to Lily's death. I can't remember the exact sequence of the Shrieking Shack scenes, but maybe (though this may be stretching) he would have been a little more willing to listen to Sirius if he knew that he wasn't the traitor. Because, as I've mentioned, we have to take into account that during PoA, Snape is mad at Sirius for the things at school and also because he believed that it was Sirius who told Voldemort where Lily was.