Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: April challenge ~ we are proud to present ~

Tveiter Tot Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Can't Everyone Talk to Snakes?
    Name: Ellie (iMusic17)
    House: Slytherin
    Character Used: Neville Longbottom
    Ratings/Warnings: 1-2nd years, none (not even profanity this time)
    Word Count: 490
    A/N: Oh joy. Pre-warning for inner-monologue drama. :/ Also, many thanks to Alex for her help with fact-checking over AIM. And this was very challenging, Barmaids, though really fun.

“Muggles are filthy, worthless beings, and must be put in their place,” Professor Carrow lectured, circling the room like a hawk. It was as if she was daring someone to disagree.

Neville sat there, his face blank. Seamus was clenching his fists under his desk, and Neville knew he was thinking about his best mate. Neville wanted so badly to just stand up and scream ‘NO!’. But he couldn’t, or else face the consequences. And with the Carrows … you never knew what they would be.

So he settled for tuning the professor out, and looking around the room. The Slytherins were sitting there with sadistic smiles, as always, but Lavender was slowly reddening in the face, while Parvati sat stone-faced. There were only four seventh-year Gryffindors this year, with Dean and Harry, Ron, and Hermione gone. And with them missing, the group had completely changed.

Without Harry, Ron, and Hermione, Gryffindor, and Hogwarts in general, had seemed to lose its fight. Even with Umbridge, they had still fought. Now, though, no one stood up to the Carrows or Snape. They were too scared. But without that bit of defiance, they had nothing to keep them going. The common room was silent most nights. Everyone either whispered their opinion, or simply remained mute.
    And suddenly, Neville’s first class with Umbridge came back to him.

"So we're not supposed to be prepared for what's waiting for us out there?"

"There is nothing waiting out there, Mr. Potter."

"Oh, yeah?" said Harry. His temper, which seemed to have been bubbling just beneath the surface all day, was reaching boiling point.

"Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourselves?" enquired Professor Umbridge in a horribly honeyed voice.

"Hmm, let's think . . .' said Harry in a mock thoughtful voice. 'Maybe . . . Lord Voldemort?"

Neville got an idea, though he knew it was mad. He wasn’t Harry, and why should he try to fill his gap now? He had done nothing for a month; he had just let the Carrows destroy the school.

“Mudbloods are no better than Muggles. They are dirty thieves who steal our magic, when their blood is no better than the Muggles. They-“

“So how much Muggle blood do you and your brother got, then?” he asked, and everyone turned around. The professor advanced, but Neville didn’t care. He knew what he had to do.

Because it wasn’t Harry who had created the hope. Standing up to the person, whether it be Umbridge or even Voldemort, was what gave everyone hope.

Neville was done lying down in front of the Carrows to walk on. He didn’t let Malfoy or Umbridge walk over him, so why let them? It was time to do something real.

And suddenly … Neville got another idea. One he thought the others might like. He fingered the galleon he always kept in his pocket.

It was time to restart the D.A.

*Taken from OotF Chapter Ten: Professor Umbridge
    -~Ellie~-
    Last edited by iMusic17; 04-29-2012 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Forgot wordcount ...
    *~iBeta~**~iWrite~* *~iPoet~* *~iDrabble~* *~iDuel~*
    Beautiful avvie by Nadia (magestic_ginny), and credit for the lovely banner goes to Pooja.

I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life.
    (Neil ~ The Dead Poets Society)

Ellie

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat
    Name: Nora/Eleanor Lupin
    House: Badgers!
    Character Used: Bellatrix Lestrange
    Ratings/Warnings: 1-2nd years, none
    Word Count: 498
    A/N: These challenges were spectacularly fun! Yay barmaids! And huge thank you to Soraya for beta-ing this (and the last two) she's been fantastic!

It’s a small brick house, red paint peeling on the shutters, which are left open to the evening.

Though I’ve never been here before, I know who lives here.

I laugh at the thought of what is to come. The three of us - Dolohov, Rodolphus and I - all make our way up the path. I feel more alive than I ever have.

My sister will finally get her comeuppance, and I will be the one to give it to her.

We don’t even bother to check if it’s locked; Rodolphus just blasts down the door, and we come crashing into the house like we own the world.

The Dark Lord reigns, and we are free to do as we want at last.

Stupefy!” a man’s voice shouts. Is it the werewolf? No; I glance over, and it’s clear it isn’t. The Mudblood. I shoot a spell at him and his wand is gone. And then she comes.

When I first see her face, It’s easy for me to detach myself, as usual. She’s just another blood traitor; I’ll be happy to see her dead.

Dolohov flicks his wrist and disarms her. I’m the first one to speak. “Harry Potter was at your house just days ago. Where is he now?”

Ted touches Andromeda’s arm. “No idea,” he says coolly.

In seconds, the room is filled with their screams and my laughter.

Within an hour, it’s clear we’re getting nowhere.

“Just kill them,” Rodolphus says as we stand in the hallway, giving them a brief respite. Andromeda won’t run; she’s too determined not to look cowardly. I know her. “We need to move on.”

“You go on,” I say. “I want to make the most of this.”

Revenge will be particularly sweet.

But that’s when the moonlight catches Andromeda just right, and I see what’s around her wrist.

A silver bracelet, a sapphire, a diamond and an emerald glimmering on it.

It’s our birthstones. Andromeda, Narcissa and I.

I would know, I gave it to her. On her seventeenth birthday – her face had lit up when she opened the box. I’d been as happy as her to see how much she loved it.

And she still wears it, even now.

Does she really still care about me? After we disowned her?

Is it really worth killing my own sister, no matter what she’s done, to serve the Dark Lord?

Suddenly, I hear a voice in my head that I haven’t heard, not for years. You can’t do this.

I have to!

You can’t.

“Go,” I find myself hissing.

They both stare at me like I’ve just sprouted wings. “What?”

“Go. Get out of here. Both of you. I’ll say you went out the window and Disapparated before I could catch you. Just go!”

She smiles, almost ruefully. “I knew you were still there.”

And without another word, they’ve disappeared out the window.

Her words are branded in my head forever.

I knew you were still there.

Annnd time to get working on the one-shot! *hums and skips away*
    Nora Writes ~ Nora Draws ~ Nora Duels ~ Nora Drabbles ~ Nora Betas

My fabulous Doctor Who banner is by Nadia/majestic_ginny!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Name: Kara
    House: House
    Character Used: Lucius Malfoy
    Ratings/Warnings: 1st/2nd
    Word Count: 497
    A/N: Dobby's words are taken from CoS, "Dobby's Reward"

“Dobby is free,” the elf says. Free.

It is that one word more than the entire situation that hits me, that freezes me where I'm standing. I inexplicably find myself unable to react. This insolent boy stands in front of me, caked in mud and blood and slimy filth, and yet he looks more triumphant than I have felt in a very long time.

Why does it hurt me so? Why does it even bother me? We have enough money to afford another elf. They are not so common now, but the name of Malfoy goes a long way in these things. Narcissa will be close to fury at the thought of what this might do to our reputation – unable to keep an elf – but I know she will quickly find a way to spin it into a compassionate tale that favours us. He was sick; we freed him out of kindness.

Then, finally, my eyes travel to the small figure standing between me and the Potter boy. Though the elf looks defiant as he glares up at me, the tears in his eyes are unmistakable. He is overtaken by joy. By joy of leaving my house, my family.

I asked my wife only once if she wanted to have another child. It was over two years after Draco’s birth, and she locked herself in her room for ten days. She never did give me a proper answer, but I knew not to ask again. For twelve years, our meals have always felt oddly off balance. Whenever I introduced Draco to someone on those days I could take him with me to the Ministry, or when Narcissa dressed him up for one of our dinner parties, I wanted to introduce someone else alongside him. There was always an empty space. There still is.

Not a day goes past when I don’t think about the girl that was taken from me, from us, and any other child that might have been, had this tragedy not occurred. In the dimness of the corridor, I realise that the elf is only the size of a small child, five, six years old at most. My vision blurs. I would be lying if I said I ever treated the elf like my own flesh and blood. I did not. It was always him who felt the full force of my frustration. And yet at this moment, as he is being wrenched away from me, I cannot help being reminded of everything else I have lost, of all that can never be.

The worst part is that Dobby seems happy now.

My only luck is that no one sees what I do next. I hold a high position in society. I am a well-educated man of reason. I don’t allow my face to display my emotions.

There is no way I can control my actions now. I forget that Harry Potter is a boy of eleven years. I lunge forward.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Standing in Line for Gilderoy Lockhart's Autograph
    Name: Soraya
    House: Ravenclaw!
    Character Used: Jamesssssss
    Ratings/Warnings: 1st-2nd; mild profanity, nappies, death, melodrama
    Word Count: 478
    A/N: This was tons of fun, barmaids! As usual, apologies for the lateness, and any mistakes in this are my own — I didn’t have time to get this betaed.

“Don't go,” Lily begs. “Please. The last Order mission nearly killed you.”

“Lily, when are you going to understand?” James shouts, banging his fist on the table. The noise wakes Harry up, but James continues, regardless. “I have to fight! Don't you get it?”

“Oh yeah? And what if you die?” she cries back. “What will I do then? What will Harry do?”

Spluttering, James can’t think of a response. “I—”

“Do you want Harry to grow up without a dad? What do you expect me to say to him when he’s older, when he asks, ‘Why did my dad die’? Because believe me, James, I don't think I’ll know what to say.”

“You tell him the truth,” he replies simply. “You tell him that his dad died fighting, trying to stop the man who wanted to kill him.”

She shakes her head. “And then he’ll ask why I didn't stop you, why you didn't put your own son’s happiness before your own need to fight.” The room is silent except for the sounds of Harry wailing, and Lily meets his eyes as she picks him up, trying to calm him. “I can’t live without you, James. Neither of us can.”

He inhales heavily, watching her return her gaze to her son and open his nappy. James’s mind drifts to the past, to just two years before.

“Mr Potter?”

James immediately rises from his chair, but at the sight of the Healer’s expression, any hope remaining in his heart flickers and dies.

“He’s dead, isn’t he?” he says dully. The question is completely unnecessary; he already knows the answer from the pity in the Healer’s eyes.

“I’m afraid so,” the Healer replies apologetically. “Would you... would you like to say goodbye?”

Taking a deep breath, James reluctantly nods and follows the Healer, bracing himself for the worst. However, nothing, nothing at all, could prepare him for the shock he feels when he sees his father’s cold body, lying perfectly still on the bed, James’s mother, Laura, crying quietly at his side. And though there are tears in James’s eyes, they are frozen there, refusing to roll down his cheeks, and it is all he can do to stay upright and not collapse to his knees then and there.

Somehow, someone senses this, and James feels a chair being pushed behind him. His knees give way and he crumples on the chair, his head buried in his hands, and still, the boiling emotions within him fight to break out past the ice.

“I won’t go,” he says abruptly, walking over to her. She is holding a sleeping Harry tightly to her chest, and he wraps his arm around her waist. “I’ll send a message to Sirius, tell him to find someone else to go with.”

She looks up, and her eyes are shimmering as she whispers, “Thank you.”
    Last edited by babewithbrains; 04-30-2012 at 08:04 PM. Reason: formatting

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    THANK YOUUUUUU

You've all been amazing and I am so pleased you responded so enthusiastically.

Now, let me catch my breath and see what I can co0me up with for May.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Results for Week 4

First Place - Weasley Mom - Hufflepuff.
    A brilliantly written drabble that fully utilised the prompt. I love Neville in this, and I also loved the way it tied up the film canon ('Luna - I'm mad for her!') with JK Epilogue canon. Well, done.

Second Place - coolh5000 - Slytherin
    Another Neville drabble, and another great one. The decision for Neville to hide at this point must have been difficult, Hannah managed to show his dilemma very well.

Honourable Mentions - All of you, for making this a difficult - yet ultimately pleasurable - experience to run and judge.

Points for participation and places in the weeklies will be added to the Spring term. Points for the oneshots will be awarded next term.

(I am in the process of working out all the points so please bear with me.

~Carole~

Banner by minnabird

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Double posting to show all the points.

the lovely Jess (ToOrNottohavethelongestusernameinhistory) is going to post these for me.

Well done, everybody.

April Challenge ~ The Mini-Gauntlet ~ Rosmerta Style ~

Gryffindor

Gwen Evens - 25
    lucca4 - 25
    Karaley Dargen - 45 (2 wins)
    iwannabeanauror - 15
    crazy717 - 5

Hufflepuff

AidaLuthien - 25
    hestiajones - 40 (1 win, 1 place)
    Padfoot113333 - 10
    LollyLovesick - 30 (1 place)
    FreeElf - 25
    Eleanor Lupin - 25
    acaciacarter - 10 (1 place)
    EDIT: Weasley Mom - 25 (1 win)

Ravenclaw

babewithbrains - 25

Slytherin
    coolh5000 - 30 (1 place)
    imusic17 - 15

Gryffindor - 115
    Hufflepuff - 190
    Ravenclaw - 25
    Slytherin -45

~Carole~

HUGE APOLOGIES TO WEASLEY MOM (LORI) FOR MISSING HER OFF THE POINTS TOTAL, ESPECIALLY WHEN SHE WON A STAGE. - SORRRRYYYYYYY
    Last edited by Equinox Chick; 05-05-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Banner by minnabird

Second Year Hufflepuff
    Beset by Owls
    Name: LollyLovesick (Lovisa)
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title (and link): Hard-Faced
    Ratings/Warnings: 6th-7th years, Sexual Situations, DH Spoilers, Strong Profanity, Suicide
    Category: General Fics

This has been so great. Wish I could do it again with another character. Thank you.

Barmaid edit: Congratulations on making it through the gauntlet, and thank you participating. I shall have to think of new characters, now.
    Last edited by Equinox Chick; 05-11-2012 at 10:50 AM.
    Banner made by mahogany_wand

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Name: AidaLuthien
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title (and link): Unabsolved
    Ratings/Warnings: 3rd-5th
    Category: Dark/Angsty

It was fun! Let's do it again some time.

Barmaid edit: Congratulations on making it through the gauntlet, and yes, let's do it again, some time.
    Last edited by Equinox Chick; 05-11-2012 at 10:51 AM.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    ANNOUNCEMENT - PLEASE READ

If your oneshot is in the queue, or there is a problem with submission, then please let me know. I am very contactable so shoot me a PM or poke me on AIM.

Regards

Madam Carmerta

Banner by minnabird