Thread: Wizards and Smoking

Clone Club Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Ultimate Chess

Wizards and Smoking

Hi there...I think the question is stated above. However (just in case it wasn’t clear)…

How popular do you think smoking would be for wizards?

Do you think they would be most likely to smoke cigarettes, cigars, pipes (this is probably for about one word in my story, but I would like to get it right).

Thanks for any help!!

Lily xxx
    Lily Writes ♥ alisonhendrxes blogs ♥ @lilysinsistence tweets

banner by theopaleye | avi by me

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Snape Hates Me
    Hi Lily

I think what wizards smoke would depend on the individual. Cigarettes could be seen as quite Muggle-ish, so for some they would be avoided at all costs, where for others they could be an act of rebellion. I reckon the same would probably go for cigars. However, if I remember rightly, Mundugus smoked a pipe, so maybe that is more common in the magical world.

Hope that I've helped a bit, and that it hasn't come too late :L

Sophie

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I think this is a tricky one, to be honest, because the only mention of smoking in the books is Mundungus. And his habit is shown to be very unpleasant. Now, part of this has to be that JKR didn't want to portray smoking in the books as in anyway cool, so the only reference is his stinky pipe.

However, she does mention drinking in the books. Hagrid goes to the pub a fair bit. Charlie and Hagrid get drunk at the wedding. There's a lot of drink mentioned at QWC, and Harry drinks a shot of Firewhisky to toast Mad-Eye. Sirius - who is the one character I can see smoking to wind his mum up - is described as smelling of drink, but not smoke. Drinking is clearly acceptable in the Potterverse, but smoking barely gets a mention.

I'm not sure they do smoke - well, not widely. Obviously the Muggleborns may have easier access to it, but it does seem to be something restricted to pipesmokers.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Second Year Gryffindor
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives
    I think it would be totally plausible for a character to smoke cigarettes/cigars if he/she has or had contact with the muggle world in some way. If he or she is muggleborn and has muggle friends, for example.

As for the wizarding world, at a first glance, it seems like pipe is the only kind of smoking that would be accepted. I mean, it's really hard to imagine a witch or wizard smoking a Marlboro cigarrette. But on a second thought, hand-made cigarettes wouldn't be completely out of place. They're really popular in Europe, one buys the tobacco and the paper separately. I think the wizarding world could have it's own version of it.

New chapter is out now!
    Purplemage

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Carole is not (quite) correct when she says that the only mention of smoking in the books is Mundungus.

I' Harry's first visit to the Leaky Cauldron in PS he sees an unnamed witch smokin a pipe. Not a big deal, I know, but it adds weight to her conclusion that smoking is limited and possibly restricted to pipesmokers.

-N-

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Northumbrian View Post
    Carole is not (quite) correct when she says that the only mention of smoking in the books is Mundungus.

I' Harry's first visit to the Leaky Cauldron in PS he sees an unnamed witch smokin a pipe. Not a big deal, I know, but it adds weight to her conclusion that smoking is limited and possibly restricted to pipesmokers.

-N-
    I believe Grubbly-Plank is also mentioned as smoking a pipe when Harry brings Hedwig to her for treatment in OotP, and the band at Bill and Fleur's wedding is described as being surrounded by a haze of pipe smoke (I think--don't have my books on hand). They're very fleeting references, but it does seem to be mostly pipes; I think the only time cigarettes are mentioned is in reference to Dudley and his gang smoking.
    Eliza