+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator — Part 23

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    At the very top of the board, click on where it says notifications, click on the dropdown to take you to the screen for private messages. On the left you will see a box that says, Send New Message, click that and a new page will open. Put in SortingHat as the recipient. For the subject line, just put request for Sorting Quiz. In the body, you can just put that you would like a Sorting quiz sent to you.

Because you are a new member, please make sure you keep you inbox clear of old messages because there has to be room for the quiz to be sent to you. Once you receive the quiz, you can hit reply and the quiz will be in the reply and you can answer the questions right in the reply. The easiest way to do that is to delete the wrong answers and only leave the right answer to the question. Then just send it on its way back to the Sorting Hat.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Hi mods and admins,
    I wanted to mention something that might be worth thinking about: fanfiction being lifted from the site and posted to other sites - particularly file sharing sites as downloads - without permission, and especially without credit. While there is probably not much we can do about it without the backing of a multinational corporation like Warner Brothers behind us (haha) I was wondering if at least the main page and rules might include something addressing this, since it could become more and more common. I don't like the idea (of people lifting, not a warning)so if a post were to discourage it for all of the reasons it's just wrong (in particular, it removes an author's control over their work: if I want to take it out of public circulation, I have that right, but not if someone has uploaded and downloaded it without my permission) perhaps some people might at least think twice.
    And while I love the print function (I use it only on my own stories) I wonder if it would make it harder for people to do these things if it were removed.
    Yes, something deep and not fun to talk about. Sorry. :P
    But thank you for at least thinking about the issue!
    ~Gina

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    I tried to delete my account on the main archives and got a page that told me I wasn't authorized to do that. Does this mean I need to ask a Mod to do it for me? Or what? I've already saved all the stories and reviews I wanted to keep and now I'd just like to remove the profile.

Thank you!

Nikki
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by fg_weasley View Post
    I tried to delete my account on the main archives and got a page that told me I wasn't authorized to do that. Does this mean I need to ask a Mod to do it for me? Or what? I've already saved all the stories and reviews I wanted to keep and now I'd just like to remove the profile.

Thank you!

Nikki
    As far as I can tell, only mods/admins can delete accounts, which is why most people just delete stories one by one and just leave their account. However, I went ahead and deleted your account for you. Let me know if you need anything else. Needless to say, MNFF shall miss your lovely stories.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    I just want to pop back in quickly to say thank you so much for doing that. I really appreciate it! It was of course a tough choice to make, but it was time for me to move on completely and I felt the best way to really let go would be to completely purge. I'll keep this account on the beta boards to pop in whenever I get nostalgic, but I needed to move out of the archives. Again, thank you for attending to that.
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye

AngelJunior

How can I change my penname?

I can't believe this hasn't been asked, so the search probably just didn't serve me well.

Is it possible to change my penname WITHOUT having to delete my account and re-register?
    If not, then I guess I have to go with only mentioning in my profile here that it's different at FanFiction.Net...and the other way around...

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Originally posted by AngelJunior:
    Is it possible to change my penname WITHOUT having to delete my account and re-register?
    I'm sorry, it isn't. Once you choose your username, it is your name.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Slytherin Mom Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    You're Fraternising with the Enemy!!!
    Gina -

Thank you for the info. That's a really good idea and I will poke the others about it also. (kind of disturbing at the same time, though . . . the issue you brought up about people's fiction being lifted from here to there without the author's permission.)

Nikki - We will all miss you!

AngelJunior - There are dozens of Ask A Mod threads and I promise you that your question was in at least a handful of them. :-) I'm sorry the answer was not the one you wanted to hear, though.

~Nicole
    Avvie is pic of my number one fans, Rielly and Mason! xoxo

Banner by SimplyBeing
    Read The Forum Rules! They're Etched in Stone . . .
    KC - My Friend Through Modship - Rest in Peace. <3

First Year Gryffindor
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives
    Hi mods! Just curious about archive/queue functionality... if I revise a story that's still in the queue, does it get pushed back in the line of stories waiting to be approved? Basically, if I want to make a superficial change like revising the summary of my story because I've written up prettier prose, would it be smarter for me to wait until AFTER it's been approved to make those types of edits? (I think I used to know the answer to this question, and I've forgotten, sorry. Hope it will be useful information for other forum members as well!)

Old age has given Ron Weasley a little wisdom, enough to see that perhaps the world is starting to move on without him.
    Banner by the lovely Bella/clabbert2101.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    How long does it take for things to get validated?

Nidhi
    [
    Amazing Avvie by Nadia and Beautiful Banner by BP!

+ Reply to Thread