+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator Part 23

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmariam View Post
    Okay, if the email system is preventing people from REGISTERING, what is being done about it? I mean, it's one thing to lose notifications for reviews, since we can still check manually. But that hardly matters if new members can't register to LEAVE them. Bad enough the malware probably scared loads of people off even reading; if they still can't use the site, they just won't bother anymore. And there are enough active members here that it seems only fair that after all this time it should be looked at. Is this something that the MNFF team needs to take care of, or the main site? What version of efiction do we use and can it be upgraded? I'm thinking it's been discontinued, so what about patching? If it will cost money to find a professional coder, is there a way to solicit funds from the main site to do so, since (I assume) they get all the ad money generated by the hits on OUR stories?
    And it would be lovely to know what is being done, who is doing it --heck, who is still working here -- etc. etc. Transparency is a good thing.
    THANK YOU!
    The issue isn't with new registrations on the archives. Any given day, there are 15-20 new registrations. Registration doesn't require email confirmation. The main issue with that is that our password request system isn't working, as it requires an email. As of yet, we don't have an alternative to this, but every day, anywhere between 5 and 15 people request new passwords and don't get them. I've been working on an idea for this, so I personally am aware of the problem. That may be a mitigating factor as to why there are fewer reads/reviews/submissions.

Unfortunately, I think it's deeper than that. There are no new landmarks in the Potter fandom these days: no films, no books, no big events like Pottermore (well, we might get a wave once it opens up for general public). There will always be people in the fandom, and the fandom will always be big, but with it not being 'current' any more, there will be a drop-off. A lot of people are feeling the pinch of fewer reviews, and I feel bad that our technical issues are contributing to that in any way. It's being looked at, both by our resident coder and the main site people, but the issues seem to be deeply embedded in the eFiction software itself. Hopefully we can get this resolved soon, but it is being looked at.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Enemies of the Heir, Beware...of the Petrified Cat!
    Um, I just wanted to ask why I keep getting a message asking me to download a file called wtp or something? I haven't downloaded it, of course, but it keeps cropping up for some reason when I'm on MNFF. (Archives, not beta boards.) I'm rather concerned that it might be malware or something, but I'm completely computer illiterate so I have no idea if it actually is. Just thought I'd let you know, mods
    Last edited by babewithbrains; 03-18-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

Ebil Minion Ravenclaw
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    I just recently have been able to see the boards after getting my account validated, but I've found there are a bunch of boards where my permissions say I can't post replies. Is that because I haven't been sorted yet?
    noblefate: writes ~ betas ~ drabbles ~ duels ~ is a proud Turnip! ~ is an Ebil Minion

wonderful banner by minnabird

Slytherin Mom Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    You're Fraternising with the Enemy!!!
    noblefate: Yes, the best way to get the most out of your time here is to get sorted. It will open SO many doors and opportunities for you to let your creativity go crazy!

*pokes* GO . . . please. Get sorted!
    (I'll beg if I must but Slytherins really don't like to show that side of themselves.)

~Nicole
    Avvie is pic of my number one fans, Rielly and Mason! xoxo

Banner by SimplyBeing
    Read The Forum Rules! They're Etched in Stone . . .
    KC - My Friend Through Modship - Rest in Peace. <3

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Hi Admins,
    I was just wondering if and when the email notification system will be looked at and fixed. I think it's important for the well being of the site. I recently started posting at another site and have had a ton of notifications--I even get one when *I* post a new story (which obviously I'm well aware of!) Now, while authors can check things like reviews and favorites on their own (and believe me, I do--far too often!) the problem is more for the readers. A reader favorites a chaptered story, expecting to be emailed when it is updated. But then they never receive that update, and if they don't follow the recents list (which I'm sure many don't) or if they miss it on the recents list, then they have no way of knowing for sure that it's been updated. And they may never come back to read it, or they may come back six chapters later and give up because they are so far behind.
    It's the same with readers favoriting an author: reader don't get emails about new stories from their favorite authors, and might miss them unless they troll the recents list or go right to the author's page. I could only suspect this is hurting traffic and reads on the site. I'm sure it's frustrating to a lot of readers who tend to lurk. I really think we owe it to both our authors but more importantly the readers to get them the notifications they expect for the stories and authors they follow. MNFF has too many great authors, strong stories, and loyal readers to let them down.
    Please let us know if there is anything we the members can do to help!
    Thanks,
    ~Gina

Ebil Minion Ravenclaw
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiSue View Post
    *pokes* GO . . . please. Get sorted!
    I know that the forum said it takes a week or more to process a completed sorting quiz and possibly another week until house privileges are available, but I sent a PM to SortingHat about a week ago and haven't heard back. What's the typical turn-around time for the quiz to be sent out?
    noblefate: writes ~ betas ~ drabbles ~ duels ~ is a proud Turnip! ~ is an Ebil Minion

wonderful banner by minnabird

Proserpina

Beta MIA?

Hi, I've been looking to see if this question has already been asked, but I can't find anything I haven't been in contact with my beta Annie (Midnight Storm) for a couple of months. When I tried to email her, the address didn't work. I can't find her account on here, and I left a review on one of her stories, but I don't think she'll respond. (I also tried contacting her through her author page on the Archives, but that's linked to the email so...)

I know the chances of finding her are slim, or if it's even appropriate for me to try since she might have purposely changed her email, but I was wondering if anyone knew where she went, or if I should just put in a thread for a new beta? What should I do?

Thank you so much!
    ~Olivia

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by noblefate
    I know that the forum said it takes a week or more to process a completed sorting quiz and possibly another week until house privileges are available, but I sent a PM to SortingHat about a week ago and haven't heard back. What's the typical turn-around time for the quiz to be sent out
    The SortingHat may be backlogged a bit. Sometimes, things pile up and take a bit of time. Please be patient, and I promise that someone will get you sorted and sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Proserpina View Post
    Hi, I've been looking to see if this question has already been asked, but I can't find anything I haven't been in contact with my beta Annie (Midnight Storm) for a couple of months. When I tried to email her, the address didn't work. I can't find her account on here, and I left a review on one of her stories, but I don't think she'll respond. (I also tried contacting her through her author page on the Archives, but that's linked to the email so...)

I know the chances of finding her are slim, or if it's even appropriate for me to try since she might have purposely changed her email, but I was wondering if anyone knew where she went, or if I should just put in a thread for a new beta? What should I do?

Thank you so much!
    ~Olivia
    I haven't seen Annie around for some time here on the forums, so maybe it would be best to seek a new beta. If she hasn't updated you on her email and doesn't check her PMs, either, then she may have withdrawn from an active role in the fandom.

But yes, it is probably best to seek a new beta.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Hi, I haven't been around for quite some time because of RL, but a few months ago, when I tried to get to the forums, it told me my IP was banned. This happened on my other computers, and even when using a proxy server. I saw above that it might be connected to verizon? I was wondering, is there anything that can be done about this? Is there anything I can do about this without jsut using different computers?
    Thank you.
    Megan
    Kinda really hiatus-y at present.
    And Julia, this avatar is really pretty. Je l'adore.

Slytherin Mom Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    You're Fraternising with the Enemy!!!
    We have found it happens primarily to those using a wireless connection. Feel free to PM me your IP and I will compare it to the list of banned ones on the (ginormous) list.

~Nicole
    Avvie is pic of my number one fans, Rielly and Mason! xoxo

Banner by SimplyBeing
    Read The Forum Rules! They're Etched in Stone . . .
    KC - My Friend Through Modship - Rest in Peace. <3

+ Reply to Thread